Suggestion.... There should be a Alliance and none alliance (regular) version of boss events.

thedarkphoenix
thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
I have a lot of friends that play casually or have just started playing and it dawned on me while talking with them that boss event's (and to a greater degree this anniversary event) wasn't really a good experience for them and they haven't been.

While hype for a new xmen event not having being in an alliance and joining one is pretty much a terrible experience.

With that said, I'd like to suggest that boss events have a regular version  that can be join that scaled differently if you aren't in an alliance. Much like reg old pve events.... of course the rewards would be tuned differently, but at least newer players or casual players can experience these events with out the hassle of trying to make heads and tails of what an alliance if they aren't ready for that.

Comments

• killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    They are infrequent events, and it is sort of nice to have something that occasionally rewards those that play socially. 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I have a lot of friends that play casually or have just started playing and it dawned on me while talking with them that boss event's (and to a greater degree this anniversary event) wasn't really a good experience for them and they haven't been.

While hype for a new xmen event not having being in an alliance and joining one is pretty much a terrible experience.

With that said, I'd like to suggest that boss events have a regular version  that can be join that scaled differently if you aren't in an alliance. Much like reg old pve events.... of course the rewards would be tuned differently, but at least newer players or casual players can experience these events with out the hassle of trying to make heads and tails of what an alliance if they aren't ready for that.

So why don't you just find a better alliance? There's a subforum for that, check it out. Much simpler than this very unbelievable (although possibly true, I don't know) story you're telling us.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Find public alliance, join public alliance, begin event, leave alliance

It's not hard
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why wouldn't you be in an alliance to start with l, even a random one? That's up to 2000 ISO thrown away just from daily play logins. Not mentioning any other alliance rewards and the ability to get TU.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    I have absolutely no problems, its not about me. I'm in a very strong alliance and have been playing the game for almost 4 years now.

However I have friends that play very casually and EVEN for those that are in an alliance it's still not really that great of an event as the scaling goes through the roof from a lot of them with weaker rosters.

A lot of my friends and there friends came back to try the x-men event only to be like "this sucks" the whole process of the only PVE event available being alliance only for people who don't really play the game like that or aren't in strong alliances is a issue.

Get off your high horses for a moment. It wouldn't hurt d3 to have a non alliance version of boss event's or at least make sure that some kind of pve event (even if its gauntlet "whatever happen to those?")
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's really no reason *not* to be in an alliance.
    I suppose it could feel daunting to join one if you believe we're all fighting for top 100 all the time and demand you commit all your time to the game and the alliance or you'll get kicked out.

But there are just so many alliances not like that, mine included. I made one on a whim back when you had to pay a butt load for them. From day one I've made the alliance all about coming in, play when you want to, do what you like...and all I ask is you *try* to log in every day and that we try a little extra hard on co-operative events like bosses.

There are plenty of casual alliances out there and joining one gets you extra ISO, tokens and more. Never hurts to ask around =)
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    I have absolutely no problems, its not about me. I'm in a very strong alliance and have been playing the game for almost 4 years now.

However I have friends that play very casually and EVEN for those that are in an alliance it's still not really that great of an event as the scaling goes through the roof from a lot of them with weaker rosters.

A lot of my friends and there friends came back to try the x-men event only to be like "this sucks" the whole process of the only PVE event available being alliance only for people who don't really play the game like that or aren't in strong alliances is a issue.

Get off your high horses for a moment. It wouldn't hurt d3 to have a non alliance version of boss event's or at least make sure that some kind of pve event (even if its gauntlet "whatever happen to those?")
    "So my friends don't like the boss event with great rewards. How about a really tough event with awful rewards. That will engage them"

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    On my side account the last time I joined a rando I got like 5 rounds vs of free rewards...  It's not that hard to join a random.  From my understanding as long as you don't join the boss event you could keep hoping from random to random till you find one active enough.  I'm sorry your friends had a bad experience but that's on them for not playing the event as it's designed.  It's like getting mad at your economy sedan because it has no storage and towing power...
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    It would hurt them to spend time and resources developing something that would be a guaranteed unpopular event. You might argue that it would be better for unaligned players to automatically be put into temporary alliances for the purpose of these events, a la WoW dungeon-finder, though. 

We know from sad MMORPG experience that such groups would suck, but even so the rewards would still be better than a solo version's would, and the audience definitely exists for such things, among people who have an irrational fear of clicking buttons with the word "join" on them. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards

Those not in an alliance, or in a super-casual one, still get personal progression rewards.  If your friends are super-casual, why do they even care about missing out on alliance rewards?

I wouldn't want to see a "personal boss" mode, because I could see where it would attract top alliance members away from their alliance, and leave the alliance hanging for the event.  My current alliance did finish final progression, but we weren't always that way, and my previous alliances missed the last 2-3 progression targets.  In a scenario like that, where I know I'm going to hit max and the personal rewards were better than alliance -2, suddenly their top player is missing and they go from -2 to -3 or worse.  In an alliance where completion isn't necessarily guaranteed, commanders would have an awful time if their top performers lose the faith.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    If they want to be casual players, they're never going to be happy with almost any of the events as MPQ is pretty much designed to be a grinding game and require dedication to get anywhere far with it.

Lesser effort is *always* going to get lesser rewards, and if they can be happy getting lesser rewards and not getting very far in exchange for being a more casual player, then that's the sweet spot.

I outgrew my old alliance but I joined it maybe a month before Civil War came out. It was full of newbies, casual players and a couple of old dogs, one of whom had practically wandered off into retirement. I could barely do anything past the first 36 hours, and slunk away with my tail between my legs guiltily going off to play the PVE as soon as it opened... and I remember being annoyed that my alliance couldn't get it together to all jump in on one side or the other, or have some better planned strategy for splitting the sides or something. But you know what happened? We made it to round 3 or 4 by the end of the event. And my alliance was HAPPY. They were all celebrating in the alliance chat. Because hey! We got something! And for who we were, we'd done well.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Play as Deadpool every single day in ddq, I heart me some DP and Switch on Dat Required Character, and save your points. Every. Single. Day. Then, finally, it's time for a boss event. Well, damn, the boss is a bit too strong in one round for your roster (or none of your champed 4*s are boosted for the event but I'm not bitter or anything) but you have like a bajillion whale points saved up. DROP THEM WHALES, FOOL! Them beautiful sexy whales. Watch that boss go splat as you gobble up their points. Yummy.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

Really what your asking for is a single player version of mpq. Its not an entirely unreasonable request. But you need to be realistic about what your asking for. In the console world, People pay on avg $50 to $60 dollars for a game with some expectation of a single and multiplayer component. The important point is that they PAID for their game.

In MPQ world, your casual alliance friends are probably not paying for VIP, and or not supporting the development of the game with purchases. In that context, is it even remotely reasonable to expect developers to split dev time away from game modes that are actively supported by VIP alliance members, and or buy club participants?

If your friends are prepared to pay a one time $60 surcharge, I would have no issues with supporting your request. But I'm pretty sure based on their store front metrics, that its probably less than .01% of the active population who regularly make purchases and still choose to not to join an alliance.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    The first 24 hours of any boss event should be doable by basically any roster (missing essential characters notwithstanding), and a Round 1 boss should also be doable. They're criminally easy.

If a player with a newish roster doesn't log in to try the boss even until day 2... then yeah, sorry, you missed your window. Enjoy whatever free round rewards you get from your alliance, and your new found 2 days of not having to play story events.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017

So is your complaint about it being alliance based or the scaling because, ignoring for a second a solo version would never happen, why would it scale any differently at all give side node scaling is personally scaled as old PVE used to be?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    A Non-Alliance boss is Kaecilius

I would love some more Crash of the Mad Titan boss events
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi @thedarkphoenix. Thanks for providing your feedback and ideas! Not sure if you're aware or not, but we actually have a Suggestions & Feedback section of the forum, and we think your discussion would make a great addition.

Would you mind if I moved it there, or would you like to gather more feedback from players, prior to making a formal submission?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi @thedarkphoenix. Thanks for providing your feedback and ideas! Not sure if you're aware or not, but we actually have a Suggestions & Feedback section of the forum, and we think your discussion would make a great addition.

Would you mind if I moved it there, or would you like to gather more feedback from players, prior to making a formal submission?

Since when do you guys ask the player if you can move their post? Normally it's moved within seconds.. apparently I missed alot on the forums when I was gone the past 6 months lol
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited October 2017
    Who says we can't be diplomatic? :p PSA: Forum Structure - Our Plan Moving Forward