Boss event done right

grunth13
grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
So,  I have to say that I enjoyed this boss event.   The devs did this one right.  I, like many, were worried that this was going to be a "You are supposed to lose" event.  This event had a puzzle aspect without is being so hard that you threw your phone against the wall.   When things go wrong,  we have a 20 page discussion about everything going wrong, therefore I wanted to congratulate the development team for a job well done. 

Comments

• DaSal
    DaSal Posts: 76 Match Maker
    I agree. Certainly very challenging in Round 8 but not impossible. Kudos to the Devs on this one!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep. Round 7 is starting to get pretty sketchy for me, but I should still be able to get at least some wins in Round 8. And even then, it's mostly because I don't have a great selection of the Boosted characters well covered and leveled, not anything inherent to the event.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    We are nearly done, a nice puzzle aspect to it can be done with quite a few different teams as well. Very enjoyable overall.

Can't wait for the rerun!
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree. Very well balanced event.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree too. IM40, Riri and Gwenpoole does wonders here
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Hmmm i think points are earned slower that other boss events even though i never lost a match with kate riri and wasp
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Round 8 is impossible no matter how good you are with puzzles. Unless you got 1000 days in with champed 4s and 5s you don't have the health to hang against his red attack. I sure someone is going to say they beat him on round 8 with 3 stars.... don't you believe them.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Round 8 is impossible no matter how good you are with puzzles. Unless you got 1000 days in with champed 4s and 5s you don't have the health to hang against his red attack. I sure someone is going to say they beat him on round 8 with 3 stars.... don't you believe them.
    Try changing your strategy a bit. I am at Day 640, champed a few 4*, no champed 5* and boss is beatable for me.

And my alliance managed to finish R8 first. I had one wipe in round 8.

Very well designed boss. Puzzle-y yet not impossible
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    I dig this event a lot but can see how most rosters would have a tough time. It’s not too hard for most 4/5 rosters to down him in one turn though; look forward to trying out more combinations now that I’m past 1M. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    It is a well made boss indeed. And the best part is that you have more options to beat it. You can ignore the puzzle and kill Apocalypse in one turn (harder to do at higher level, easier on lower). You can partially solve the puzzle (take down the one reducing damage you make) and than deal damage in one turn. Or make the puzzle all the way and kill Apocalypse afterwards.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    It seems like since the Boss Rush fiasco they've tried a different approach and it's been successful so far. I liked the Sinister Six boss event as well as this one. I prefer the more puzzle-like elements and less trying to game the system with winifinite or something like that. If they could chill a bit on the support nodes scaling, I'd be in love with these events.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, very good event, think the preview was just poorly worded which gave off a scary vibe to it.

I really like the emphasis on being able to come up with different team combos the harder he got rather than the usual boss system strategy of past events.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Agreed, great design, good balance, fun event. Early on stacking heavy damage in one turn worked, but later on you needed to bring tile removers and ap generators. And it was balanced so I could bring unboosted 3*s and they weren't one shotted by his red. Puzzle aspects were tough enough I'm glad he wasn't also spamming hard nukes too. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I liked the boss from the first fight with him.
    It has complexity, it has potential danger later on, it has a puzzle aspect...but it is *not* "Here's a 1 round timer that'll down your character. I'll just put it in the corner, m'kay?" levels of maddening or anything of the sort.

They did the same here that they did with Thanos. Let's start by being a little on the easy side for a first run and tweak from there rather than the literal opposite.

Really well designed and fun boss. Awesome work =)
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    This boss was brilliantly done. There's a very clever design to it that made it challenging, but not unsolvable.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Definitely a top-notch event. Clever mechanisms with perfect flavor for Apocalypse and the Horsemen. Interesting strategies and play. Round 8 fights were tense and challenging (I have a pretty decent 4* roster and lost one battle and was typically low on health packs after 5 fights). Smooth execution with no server outages or lag that I was aware of. 

Kudos to the dev team for good design and execution making this a nice part of an Anniversary that seems to be going really smoothly.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just one minor complaint here, you have to beat him to get any points, which makes any progression extremely hard or near impossible for lesser alliances.

Also makes side node farming really frustrating especially when those 1000 iso nodes are so tempting.