Gambit Passive Bugged? [Intended]

Options
2»

Comments

• JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dayv said:
    As you can see in your screenshot, the enemy Gambit only has black covers.

This might be an overpowered strategy, but it's certainly not a bug exploit.

And there are certainly ways to counter this, though not all of them may be available to every player.  Stun, knock out, or make Gambit or Spider-Gwen airborne before the cycle locks in.  Bring your own character who has use for the web tiles.  Bring a character that retaliates against enemy stuns or skill uses.  Bring Vulture and get him airborne ASAP.  Bring a character that can't be stunned.

Gwen is only going to stun two characters at a time.  As long as the third one has time to deal with the situation, you have a chance.

I agree that Gambit should be redesigned so this strategy isn't viable.  The lack of a lock on powers he doesn't have was probably meant to make partially covered Gambits less painful to use, without devs realizing how attractive they would be for certain uses.  But it is not a bug exploit, and for now the best advice is "don't fight teams you can't beat."
    Only Black covers, and 6700 HP.

Take in G4mora & R4G, and you can probably KO Gambit on your first turn, or at least on your second.

My question is whether or not Gambit's black generates AP for the AI on their first turn, because it doesn't generate it for us on our first turn. Is the AI playing by the same rules imposed upon us?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JSP869 said:
    Dayv said:
    As you can see in your screenshot, the enemy Gambit only has black covers.

This might be an overpowered strategy, but it's certainly not a bug exploit.

And there are certainly ways to counter this, though not all of them may be available to every player.  Stun, knock out, or make Gambit or Spider-Gwen airborne before the cycle locks in.  Bring your own character who has use for the web tiles.  Bring a character that retaliates against enemy stuns or skill uses.  Bring Vulture and get him airborne ASAP.  Bring a character that can't be stunned.

Gwen is only going to stun two characters at a time.  As long as the third one has time to deal with the situation, you have a chance.

I agree that Gambit should be redesigned so this strategy isn't viable.  The lack of a lock on powers he doesn't have was probably meant to make partially covered Gambits less painful to use, without devs realizing how attractive they would be for certain uses.  But it is not a bug exploit, and for now the best advice is "don't fight teams you can't beat."
    Only Black covers, and 6700 HP.

Take in G4mora & R4G, and you can probably KO Gambit on your first turn, or at least on your second.

My question is whether or not Gambit's black generates AP for the AI on their first turn, because it doesn't generate it for us on our first turn. Is the AI playing by the same rules imposed upon us?
    "Start of turn passives" do work on the AI's first turn. However, you get to move first. Which is probably better, overall.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that, while this is intended functionality now (as pointed out during Gambit's introduction in "Piecing Together Marvel Puzzle Quest: Gambit"), we take customer feedback very seriously. I'll make sure to bring your concerns up to the rest of our team and make sure they understand the feedback that is given to them.

That aside, please keep in mind that while Gambit (Modern) and Gambit (Classic) can both generate a lot of AP for their teams if you only level his Stacked Deck (Black) power, this means that the character will be under leveled compared to the other teams which your facing. With Gambit (Modern), a 0/0/5 will have a max level of 89 (vs potential level 266 3-star character), and with Gambit (Classic), a 0/0/5 will have a max level of 330 (vs a potential level 550 5-star character).

Additionally, Gambit himself would have no other powers that he could use, so if you can take out the opponents that can abuse the Red and/or Purple AP on the enemy team, than Gambit would be generating AP which cannot be used. In the screenshot example given previously, if you take out Spider-Gwen (Gwen Stacy) on the enemy team, than the enemy will have no Red or Purple powers that they can use (unless Wolverine (Old Man Logan) transforms his powers). 

Hopefully this information can help with your struggles against Gambit (Modern) and Gambit (Classic) while fighting him in PvP Versus Events. You just have to remember, if Gambit doesn't have his other powers, than he is only useful on teams with powerful red and/or purple powers. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tombstone said:
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that, while this is intended functionality now (as pointed out during Gambit's introduction in "Piecing Together Marvel Puzzle Quest: Gambit"), we take customer feedback very seriously. I'll make sure to bring your concerns up to the rest of our team and make sure they understand the feedback that is given to them.

That aside, please keep in mind that while Gambit (Modern) and Gambit (Classic) can both generate a lot of AP for their teams if you only level his Stacked Deck (Black) power, this means that the character will be under leveled compared to the other teams which your facing. With Gambit (Modern), a 0/0/5 will have a max level of 89 (vs potential level 266 3-star character), and with Gambit (Classic), a 0/0/5 will have a max level of 330 (vs a potential level 550 5-star character).

Additionally, Gambit himself would have no other powers that he could use, so if you can take out the opponents that can abuse the Red and/or Purple AP on the enemy team, than Gambit would be generating AP which cannot be used. In the screenshot example given previously, if you take out Spider-Gwen (Gwen Stacy) on the enemy team, than the enemy will have no Red or Purple powers that they can use (unless Wolverine (Old Man Logan) transforms his powers). 

Hopefully this information can help with your struggles against Gambit (Modern) and Gambit (Classic) while fighting him in PvP Versus Events. You just have to remember, if Gambit doesn't have his other powers, than he is only useful on teams with powerful red and/or purple powers. 
    In Balance of Power, though, they'll still be max level. Incidentally.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tombstone said:

In Balance of Power, though, they'll still be max level. Incidentally.
    Yeah, I suspect some variations on Gambattery (as I've been calling this tactic) will dominate BoP and make a strong "death from below" showing in Combined Arms as well.  One team I thought of is so evil that I don't feel comfortable sharing it on the forums.  (Note: I do not have a Gambattery rostered.)
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ballance of power... one event out of dozens... wont really change much.
    Plus, everyone will get equal chances, right?