Gambit Passive Bugged? [Intended]

Landale
Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
I ran Combined Arms recently and came across a champed Spider-Gwen, 3* Gambit, and some random 2* that didn't matter.

It was like a nuclear bomb kept going off over and over.

Stacked Deck says it generates 3 red and 3 purple AP at level 5, but also that "Gambit's allies may not fire powers of the same color as Gambit's active powers."  This tells me that, for example, Spider-Gwen shouldn't be able to fire Teenage Kicks or Cherry Bomb at all...however that was all she would use.  It was almost every turn "Teenage Kicks", "Cherry Bomb", "Teenage Kicks", "Teenage Kicks", "Cherry Bomb".  And since I was being more or less perma-stunned, it ravaged my characters.

What gives?  Does Gambit's passive restriction just not work at all?  Or am I misreading what it's supposed to do?

[Moderator note: per D3 staff (see comment below), this behavior is intended.  An incompletely built Gambit will not block powers in colors he does not have an active power for.  -Dayv]
Tagged:

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the Gambit you saw didn’t have covers in red or purple it’s possible the game doesn’t think he has active powers, so he doesn’t suppress anyone’s powers.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm pretty sure I saw it mentioned somewhere that his passive won't shut down colours that he has no covers for. So when he's 0/0/X (or whatever the order is, just the passive), he doesn't shut down anything.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    I saw a computer's Psylocke use Psychic Knives.when Gambit was active as well. It just doesn't seem to work when controlled by the computer.
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    I also encountered Gambit in the wave node not preventing Psylocke from firing her powers. Could be because it's a wave, but he's in the same wave as her, so hard to say. 
    It'll be easy to tell once we have a Gambit PVP if it's actually bugged when controlled by AI.
  • Landale
    That definitely sounds like a bug and i hope they fix it soon.   Otherwise the meta will include having a 0/0/5 gambit in your roster to bring into PvP. 
  • SirLanik
    Landale said:
    That definitely sounds like a bug and i hope they fix it soon.   Otherwise the meta will include having a 0/0/5 gambit in your roster to bring into PvP. 
    Well a 0/0/5 3* Gambit would be easy to kill, so I don't think that's much of a worry. Plus still no confirmation this is anything other than a wave node thing. 
  • Landale
    edited October 2017
    It happened to me in pvp...as I said in my original post...
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    This was confirmed as intended by D3's Josh Austin in the article for Gambit's release on the Marvel site.  Here's the relevant section, with my bold-text emphasis added:
    Marvel.com: Stacked Deck means allies can’t fire Red or Purple powers? I guess we might want to avoid teaming him up with anyone who uses Red or Purple AP?

Josh Austin: Gambit gets a little selfish with Stacked Deck and will actually block an ally from using a red or purple power—this happens only if the player has a cover in either purple and/or red.

I wondered about all-black Gambit as well, and considered making one for his initial PvP if I could, but doing so really would make him a pushover on any kind of defense.  Making real progress with this strategy in PvP would probably require a crazy amount of rapid shielding.

[Marking as intended behavior.]

• Jaedenkaal
    mexus said:
    Dayv said:
    This was confirmed as intended by D3's Josh Austin in the article for Gambit's release on the Marvel site.  Here's the relevant section, with my bold-text emphasis added:
    Marvel.com: Stacked Deck means allies can’t fire Red or Purple powers? I guess we might want to avoid teaming him up with anyone who uses Red or Purple AP?

Josh Austin: Gambit gets a little selfish with Stacked Deck and will actually block an ally from using a red or purple power—this happens only if the player has a cover in either purple and/or red.

I wondered about all-black Gambit as well, and considered making one for his initial PvP if I could, but doing so really would make him a pushover on any kind of defense.  Making real progress with this strategy in PvP would probably require a crazy amount of rapid shielding.

[Marking as intended behavior.]

Yeah, most people that will have a 5 black cover Gambit will have the 3* version at at maximum level for 5 covers he's an easy target - his HP is low!
    I don't know much about 5* Gambit but I suspect he's also easy to take down for any 5* team in a few rounds.
    So that team would be Thanos bait, obviously but if it weren't for that... I wonder if trading your 3rd character slot for 12 Red and 12 Purple AP (or whatever) would be worth it. I bet I'd make that trade some of the time.
  • Landale
    Well that's good to know that it's intentional.  I think I'll champ Spidergwen sooner now.  It may be Thanos bait, but I really only have to worry about that from 5* players, with whom I'm not really competing.  Makes my life easier.
  • Dayv
    It's definitely an interesting niche option for the few times a year that Combined Arms or Balance of Power run.
  • SirLanik
    I'm aware of the intended behavior- the issue is that I encountered a Gambit with covers in all three powers that did not stop Psylocke from using her Red power.
    So far assuming this is because it was a Wave node, I have not yet duplicated this in another fight.
  • Dayv
    edited October 2017
    SirLanik said:
    I'm aware of the intended behavior- the issue is that I encountered a Gambit with covers in all three powers that did not stop Psylocke from using her Red power.
    So far assuming this is because it was a Wave node, I have not yet duplicated this in another fight.
    Was Gambit stunned, downed, or airborne?

Wait, when/where was Gambit featured as an enemy in a wave node?

If what you're desciribing is accurate, you should start a new thread, since the OP in this one was describing intended behavior.
  • SirLanik
    edited October 2017
    Dayv said:
    SirLanik said:
    Was Gambit stunned, downed, or airborne?

Wait, when/where was Gambit featured as an enemy in a wave node?

If what you're desciribing is accurate, you should start a new thread, since the OP in this one was describing intended behavior.
    During the X-Men vs. Apocalypse event, the Quicksilver essential node late in the event (round 7 or 8) was a Wave Node, and Gambit and Psylocke were among the enemies. Gambit had all his abilities, was not stunned or airborne, but Psylocke was able to fire her red anyway. I'll start a new thread, I still have my screen caps of it. 
  • Dayv
    Interesting, maybe his passive doesn't "turn on" properly when he joins the battle after turn 1.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Happened to me right now - Gwen stunned me with her purple... Gambit with black passive against me.
    Well, his passive says it anyway - allies may not use skills of Gambit actives - since he has any...
    Nice exploit...
  • veny
    edited October 2017

Winfinity in 3rd round... 12 points gone... thanks devs... i expect some compensation for this obvious bug exploit...
    if this is intentional, this is the most dangerous combo ever that technically cant be countered... no reason to play against this since you cant win.
  • Dayv
    As you can see in your screenshot, the enemy Gambit only has black covers.

This might be an overpowered strategy, but it's certainly not a bug exploit.

And there are certainly ways to counter this, though not all of them may be available to every player.  Stun, knock out, or make Gambit or Spider-Gwen airborne before the cycle locks in.  Bring your own character who has use for the web tiles.  Bring a character that retaliates against enemy stuns or skill uses.  Bring Vulture and get him airborne ASAP.  Bring a character that can't be stunned.

Gwen is only going to stun two characters at a time.  As long as the third one has time to deal with the situation, you have a chance.

I agree that Gambit should be redesigned so this strategy isn't viable.  The lack of a lock on powers he doesn't have was probably meant to make partially covered Gambits less painful to use, without devs realizing how attractive they would be for certain uses.  But it is not a bug exploit, and for now the best advice is "don't fight teams you can't beat."
  • veny
    edited October 2017
    Dayv said:

And there are certainly ways to counter this, though not all of them may be available to every player.  Stun, knock out, or make Gambit or Spider-Gwen airborne before the cycle locks in.  Bring your own character who has use for the web tiles.  Bring a character that retaliates against enemy stuns or skill uses.  Bring Vulture and get him airborne ASAP.  Bring a character that can't be stunned.

Gwen is only going to stun two characters at a time.  As long as the third one has time to deal with the situation, you have a chance.

I agree that Gambit should be redesigned so this strategy isn't viable.  The lack of a lock on powers he doesn't have was probably meant to make partially covered Gambits less painful to use, without devs realizing how attractive they would be for certain uses.  But it is not a bug exploit, and for now the best advice is "don't fight teams you can't beat."
    Are you joking? Do you even see that damage that their team dealt to me?
    Winfinite started in 3rd round. I had champed OML with 50k HP, maxed Blade with 13k... and i played against AI.
    My gambit died too soon since he was the only one who was not stuned and Gwens red (10k damge at level 290) killed him.
    How many characters are there with the stun resistance? Silver Surfer?
    Airborne is nice, but it requires some APs (and specific characters not everyone have) - if you fail to get them quickly -> winfinity.

Are you sure you want to give us such an advice? To use specific character to make a match easier doable?

Dont fight teams you cant beat... well, i can beat every team that has 50% of HPs of my team - i can guarantee that... well, except for this "not bugged" one...

And imagine 5* Gambit with same (i guess) "feature", but... i dunno... 15k HP?

Once players realise the potential of this, you are screwed... dont worry, this "not a bug" will be fixed soon.
    Cant wait for event with powered up Gwen :D
  • Jaedenkaal
    veny said:
    Dayv said:

Are you joking? Do you even see that damage that their team dealt to me?
    Winfinite started in 3rd round. I had champed OML with 50k HP, maxed Blade with 13k... and i played against AI.
    My gambit died too soon since he was the only one who was not stuned and Gwens red (10k damge at level 290) killed him.
    How many characters are there with the stun resistance? Silver Surfer?
    Airborne is nice, but it requires some APs (and specific characters not everyone have) - if you fail to get them quickly -> winfinity.

Are you sure you want to give us such an advice? To use specific character to make a match easier doable?

Dont fight teams you cant beat... well, i can beat every team that has 50% of HPs of my team - i can guarantee that... well, except for this "not bugged" one...

And imagine 5* Gambit with same (i guess) "feature", but... i dunno... 15k HP?

Once players realise the potential of this, you are screwed... dont worry, this "not a bug" will be fixed soon.
    Cant wait for event with powered up Gwen :D
    No one is arguing that it isn't lame. Only that it is not a "bug" per se, because it is technically functioning the way D3 intended at the time of release. Whether or not they continue to "intend" it to do this going forward is another matter.