How would you improve Lightning Rounds?

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Lighting Rounds haven't changed much since their inception beyond the addition of a few more required (loaner) characters. The concept has gotten a bit stale to me. If you could improve Lightning Rounds for the fourth anniversary, how would you do it?

How would you improve Lightning Rounds? 75 votes

Different rosters (boosted & required)
24%
sinnerjflgrunzadinfirethornerixmithbabinroatomzedleeleeshineStevO-JDoc Lrdvargas1JarvindBruinsfan17JHawkIncbluewolfTheOnestewbaccaJosh2338spacedwarf 18 votes
Run them Friday thru Sunday
6%
killercool[Deleted User]brolljameshMonotone 5 votes
Improve the rewards
33%
IridiousLHammergrunth13TiggidaGrizz875SteellatchOver__FlowpheregasThe Viceroy Returnsevade420maguirenumber6rastafari7jgomes32DTrain514finlanderboyIl galvanicoOldManWolvsevariste_tacotchipleydoomette 25 votes
Shorter rounds more often
6%
TrilateralusMeandershadowyoshiSkadenFrudeeMrKotlet 5 votes
Longer rounds less often
0%
Make them like Combined Arms
2%
WilsonFiskForbush 2 votes
All the above
16%
KolenceGrumpySmurf1002frachrStax the FoyerUNC_SamuraiPunisher5784smkspyLiftoffBlackWidow70bowla33LifeofAgonyMightfaster 12 votes
Nothing - they're fine as is
2%
ZootSaxMETT-T dependent 2 votes
Other (describe below)
8%
STOPTHISAlfje17AlsmirrobertbahBeer40Lucifier 6 votes

Comments

• finlanderboy
    finlanderboy Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Improve the rewards
    I think different rosters would be nice, but not improve it much.

Running them on the busy weekend i think destroys the point to pull people in during the week

Improving the rewards would bring more people, they had a higher reward lightning round with 4 star carol, and never repeated it

Short rounds would drive people away as they would miss more of them.

Longer rounds may work more so people do not hav to be attatched to their phones to win.

What I dislike about them are the grinding through the easy matches it way to important.  It is tedious.  If I am on when one starts i grab thanos, the loaner and OML and chew through the easy matches.  Then fight one actual player and I got the 250.  
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just cycling through all the 3*s as boosted characters would be a huge improvement. As a solid 4* player it is fun to have a reason to use all my old 3*s and figure out how to complement them with my 4*s.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it'd be neat if the boosted character was random each node. It could be a 1*. It could be a 5*. But both you and the opponent would be using that character.

Not sure if that would be impossible to implement or not, but it would certainly add variety. 
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Smaller bracket sizes  and better rewards! 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Change the damn boosts. They've been the same characters for like two years, but I've heard legend says they once rotated.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd run them Monday thru Thursday 24/7, double the iso and replace all 1* prizes with 500 iso prizes instead.  I'd also rotate in more characters.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Completely open MMR and disable the skip button.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Other (describe below)
    1) Run them continuously. Each event is 24 hours. 12 am- 12 pm based on one specific time zone. So it would be the same for everyone, but starting/stopping times would be different, yet the same.
    2) Have every character in the game from 1* to 5*, including limited, be a featured character. 
    3) First event starts with a 1*, runs thru all the 1*s to the 2*s, then the 3*s, then 4*s, then 5*s. After the last 5*, the events cycle over.
    4) Each time a new character is added to the game, they are added to the lightning rounds at the end of their * class on the next cycle.
    5) Boosted characters are only in the same * level and "team" affiliation, each event. 
    6) Dynamic match up wins (like currently, you may get ISO, cover, etc..) with a maximum of 24 rewards per event. 
    7) Dual wins/points progression with a 38 points per win base (an "equal" win in PVP). Rewards as follows (win/points format)
    1/38: 70 ISO
    5/190: Standard token
    10/380: 140 ISO
    15/570: Elite Token
    20/760: 250 ISO
    24/912: 500 ISO
    8) Clear communication that the progression rewards are simply a "bonus" if you're willing to put in the extra daily time to play these, and the rewards are not meant to be anything more than small bonuses, so don't complain.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Other (describe below)
    OJSP said:
    Beer40 said:
    1) Run them continuously. Each event is 24 hours. 12 am- 12 pm based on one specific time zone. So it would be the same for everyone, but starting/stopping times would be different, yet the same.
    If the event runs that long, it wouldn't be Lightning anymore. I think even 1 1/2 hours is already too long. I only play the last 20-30 minutes..
    Hey, if that's the only complaint, that I turned Lightning Rounds (current) into Lightning Rounds (daily), I'll take it!  :)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Run them Friday thru Sunday
    Run them more often is the biggest thing for me.  I rarely have time play them when they run now and on the weekend I often have boatloads of time but nothing I can do in the game...  I'd play them if they were an option when I had time...
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Shorter rounds more often
    I would like to see them run as 1 hour rounds for 24 hours twice a week. Like run it once during the week on Wednesday and during the weekend on Saturday.

Also rotate required characters. Would like to see every character rotated, no matter the rarity level. You'd get every character over the course of a month.
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Other (describe below)
    Other (describe below)

My suggestion is to create brackets, like PVP (every 500 players in one bracket) so will be more players to get high placement rewards.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Other (describe below)
    Just remove them.

There is enough ways for rich to get richer already.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,563 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other (describe below)

Other (describe below)

Would be nice to have some more 2* rewards again, up until Dec.16 you had about 40% chance of getting a 2* reward and about 25% of a 2* cover after every fight. Now it's about 6% and 3% respectively (see https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/57064/for-lr-number-crunchers#latest for more details)

They're quite good when you start playing this game as you need all the 1* covers and ISO you can get, but that soon peters out. Not much point in doing a lot of rounds if you get almost no reward and the progression / placement rewards are definitely not worth the bother.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alfje17 said:

Other (describe below)

Not much point in doing a lot of rounds if you get almost no reward and the progression / placement rewards are definitely not worth the bother.

Yeah, I'll jump in one from time to time if I can catch the beginning - stomping the seed teams is good for some fast iso, but otherwise I don't feel much incentive.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,563 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other (describe below)
    Dormammu said:
    Alfje17 said:

Other (describe below)

Not much point in doing a lot of rounds if you get almost no reward and the progression / placement rewards are definitely not worth the bother.

Yeah, I'll jump in one from time to time if I can catch the beginning - stomping the seed teams is good for some fast iso, but otherwise I don't feel much incentive.

Same here, I never fight non-seeds in LR, did that only once to get the Standard token at 250 when the Bonus heroes were just introduced. It's really not worth the time once you're in 3* - 4* land.