Stale Events. Where is Gauntlet?

2»

Comments

• RedLion
    RedLion Posts: 70 Match Maker
    I posted the paragraphs below in a thread from early August about the Gauntlet. My feelings have not changed, but with the between seasons Shield event and the Rogue training event, it appears the devs are trying some new Gauntlet-lite approaches. Makes me wonder if we will ever see the Gauntlet again.

From August 9:

The Gauntlet is death for ISO income as it's currently structured. Compared to a normal 7-day PVE, it generates (I'm estimating, YMMV) 100,000 less ISO. However, if you ran the Gauntlet concurrently with other PVE events (to maintain that sweet, sweet ISO flow), I'd be cool with that. Also, if it was run that way, I'd give everybody two weeks to finish it. 

Alternatively, if you want to make the Gauntlet great again, run it as a PVE, but make it a 2-day event. That fits the ISO rewards better, and would really force people to get creative with their roster to finish it (or buy health packs). A side benefit: everybody who hates the Gauntlet would only get to hate it for two days. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be more than happy to see the Gauntlet run again with proper rewards or running parallel to a normal Story event. The rewards aren't there right now for it to be the only event running for a week............
  • BigMike182
    BigMike182 Posts: 60 Match Maker
    I liked the idea of Gauntlet, but there were too many nodes. It felt like it took forever to run. Actually, If I had my way, I'd have gotten rid of 7 day PVE events. I find them to be a slog. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be perfectly fine with a new gauntlet and bringing back heroics if there was a season mode for pve. Gauntlet runs for a week with upgraded rewards and I would have heroics return as Heroic Lightning Rounds. What's that? One day events that are progression only and have limited characters at the 4-5* level. So one day you may be fighting against a boss Hulk in The Hulk and the next is sub 2 of Meet Rocket and Groot. 
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    They could always run a few hero-specific events alongside Gauntlet, and have those events award 4* covers and ISO.  I'd be cool with gauntlet then =).
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    FrostKnux said:
    jamesh said:
    There is a story event where you plkay as villains against heroes: Prodigal Sun.  It'd be nice if there were more.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gauntlet again.  But they seem to have been reusing some of those ideas for e.g. System Reboot or the current SHIELD Training event.  I wouldn't mind seeing Gauntlet proper run in parallel with other story events but with an extended run time to remove the time pressure.
    Great. One at event that's at least two years old that I've played 100 times. And that silly training event took literally fifteen minutes to complete.
    No need to get defensive.  You said there were no villain vs. heroes events, and I pointed out that there was one.  And you're likely to have played any of the existing events many times already.  I think we're in agreement that it'd be nice if there were more of them.

As far as the SHIELD Training and System Reboot events being short, they also gave rewards comparable to what Gauntlet did.  So if they do run Gauntlet again, hopefully they are a bit more generous with the rewards.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    I'd like the Gauntlet more if it wasn't the only PVE event for a week. I blow through most of it in a couple days and then my ISO gain slows to a trickle. 

That, and it invariably brings out people complaining that there aren't enough rewards, node X is too hard, node Y is oh my god even worse than X, etc etc etc.
    But aren't the wails of anguish the funnest thing about Gauntlet? :) 
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gauntlet caused The Great ISO Drought last time it ran. Unless they buff the rewards or release it alongside another PvE event, it's not welcome.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    People keep talking like The Gauntlet was the only Story event for the week. Pretty sure they usually started the next event around the midway point?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Orion said:
    Gauntlet is a decent idea but it needs some minor tweaks:

1)  Nobody is doing any of the nodes more than once, so stop it with the multiple rewards.  Each node should award 500 ISO, CP or the bonus 2000 ISO at the end of each stage.

2)  The rewards need serious updating.  It used to end with a 4* cover and that obviously won't cut it anymore.  End it with the regular 25 CP or so that you get from a normal PvE.  Since there's no placement in the Gauntlet, progression needs to include several 3* covers and at least 2 4* covers - one at the end of stage 2 and 1 in the middle of stage 3.

3)  The scaling wasn't completely horrible, heck, compare it to the 515s we have to deal with now.  If you base the scaling on the SCL (which they totally should do), then I could see CL9 ending with enemies around level 500.  You have a week to finish, so it's not like people couldn't eventually do it.

Bring back Gauntlet!

1)  Guess I'm nobody then....  Last time this ran I did 3 clears of all nodes in sub 1 & 2.  I didn't in 3 due to difficulty.
    2)  Agreed wholeheartedly.
    3)  All events should be utilizing SCLs and rewards need to be different per.  IMO even boss events and DDQ should have SCLs so big yes from me.

ZeiramMR said:
    People keep talking like The Gauntlet was the only Story event for the week. Pretty sure they usually started the next event around the midway point?
    There's like a day or two overlap and it's a 7 day event.  If you chose not to play guantlent for whatever reason or clear it quickly you have no PvE other DDQ for like 5 days. 
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    ZeiramMR said:
    It overlapped like normal pve. The next pve started at the time s1 would have ended and the gauntlet ended at the same s5 time.