Stale Events. Where is Gauntlet?

FrostKnux
FrostKnux Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Let me start by saying I love Puzzle Quest. I really do. I've played every version, and I really like this one because I love the MCU and this game has really great mechanics. Problem is, I find 90% of the time in this game is spent fighting the exact same characters over and over and over and over again.

Like pve? Hope you wanna fight Daken and Moonstone and Bullseye and Venom and Ares over and over and over and over again. Splash in Hood and Sentry. Over and over and over and over.

Like pvp? Well if you have any sort of formidable roster, I hope you wanna fight Panthos or Hawkeye/Coulson over and over and over and over again. Splash in Peggy, Iron Man, and Captain Marvel. Over, and over, and over, and over.

My friend and I who've both played daily for over three years both really love the Gauntlet, because it's one of the only really fun events. The fights are different, interesting, refreshing, and challenging. But Gauntlet never shows up anymore. Simulator comes around once in a blue moon, but that is hurt by required characters. I personally find being restricted from using certain characters much more interesting than being forced to use specific ones. I will say Strange Sights was neat because it at least introduced a boss fight.

I know I'm asking a lot I guess, but something needs to be done to shake things up. Lightning rounds have been the same forever, and I don't even really see why one would want to play them. Pvp is still all three star character events, when the four star class is now considerably larger. No pve events are played as villains against heroes. As someone who's been playing since before five stars, things are just feeling stale.

I really do love this game, but I need some fresh events. Adding Webbed Wonder to the rotation so I can fight Daken and Moonstone for the forty millionth time is not doing it for me. 

Edit: I suppose this was semi-bad timing to write this now that I just noticed what looks like a few new events in this X-Men thingy coming up, but I feel my points remain valid.

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is a story event where you play as villains against heroes: Prodigal Sun.  It'd be nice if there were more.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gauntlet again.  But they seem to have been reusing some of those ideas for e.g. System Reboot or the current SHIELD Training event.  I wouldn't mind seeing Gauntlet proper run in parallel with other story events but with an extended run time to remove the time pressure.
  • FrostKnux
    jamesh said:
    There is a story event where you plkay as villains against heroes: Prodigal Sun.  It'd be nice if there were more.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gauntlet again.  But they seem to have been reusing some of those ideas for e.g. System Reboot or the current SHIELD Training event.  I wouldn't mind seeing Gauntlet proper run in parallel with other story events but with an extended run time to remove the time pressure.
    Great. One at event that's at least two years old that I've played 100 times. And that silly training event took literally fifteen minutes to complete.
  • FrostKnux
    Bowgentle said:

Play PVE at SCL9.

Those 515 nodes are gauntlet with the added bonus of having to clear them 3 times at that level.

I do play level 9. It's still the exact same event with one additional node that has a required character. You've missed the point.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I miss gauntlet, heroics, and all those others like growth industry and the cho one.

Don't really understand why they are mothballed at this point. 

Every event should get a run for time to time because right now is just completely recycling of about 5 events ad nauseum and it is getting old.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unless they figure out how to do Gauntlet with SCL rewards equivalent to at least 4X clears, I really hope it is never run again. 

Heroics are OK, but same old enemies with a slightly different story.

The one-offs are cool.  More System Reboot please!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    But, don't you want to meet Rocket & Groot?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who are Rocket and Groot? They sound interesting.  Some kind of Elton John tribute band?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    The biggest issue I have with PvE is that fighting Ares, Yelena, Moonstone, Daken, Bullseye and Venom over and over and over again is *really* tedious. The Hunt is currently the worst PvE going.

Removing the heroics helps in that regard since that's basically all they are.

Gauntlet definitely needs a rework. Once they changed up PvE to be far more rewarding, Gauntlet got left by the wayside as a lot of work for not-a-lot of rewards. I wonder if perhaps Shield Training goes some way towards that?
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    i am on the MPQ struggle bus right now.... Im taking a break til anniversary event in a few days. I just cant play the webbed wonder event, not feeling it.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Folks who like Gauntlet are those with massive rosters who can play the entire event and get the progression reward.  I hated Gauntlet all the way through the 3* - 4* transition because it literally took the entire 6 or 7 days to grind through the mission nodes once (using up health packs all the while), and I usually would still be missing one of the essentials by the time I got to the end.  I still hate Gauntlet because now I can complete the event in a single day or two and then you're out several days' worth of sub rewards.  The only positive thing I can say about Gauntlet is that it's pure PvE -- doesn't matter when you play, doesn't matter when or how fast you hit the nodes, you either finish or you don't.  But it takes a lot of time or money to get to the point where you do.
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    The gauntlet would be nice if they'd run a pve event along side it.  The gauntlet has terrible rewards compared to the length of it.  The last time they ran it, it ran right after a boss event and my iso income dropped to nearly nothing that week and a half. 
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    In reply to the OP.
    For all the  reason you mention.
    I've only been playing the node on Deadpool daily that rewards us with the command points.

After nearly two years of playing I can no longer sit down and do the repetition. 
    It's unhealthy.

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    I hate all hero - villian events when ares (or pra tically any non goon)is hitting for 4k damage on the first of 4 matches, the game just isn't fun.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate the Gauntlet. No story. No personality to the matchups. Lousy rewards. More nodes that require specific characters.

No thanks.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish they'd bring the Gauntlet back. I finally got my roster to the level where I could complete it, and after two such iterations it disappeared. That said, I would like to see better rewards. Why not run a season-long gauntlet, where each stage represents a roster level? 2* level with 2* cover rewards and 100 and 250 ISO, 25 HP, 3* level with 3* cover rewards, 250 and 500 ISO, 50 HP, 4* level with 4* cover rewards, 500 and 1,000 ISO, 100 HP, 1 and 2 CP, and 5* level with Latest Legend token rewards, 1,500 and 2,000 ISO, 250 HP, and 3 and 5 CP? That's not even particularly generous, but it'd be enough to get us engaged!

It's been so long that I can't remember, did the nodes get green-checked after one completion? If not, they should as it's a great path to XP / leveling up.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:

Bring back Gauntlet!
    #makegauntletgreatagain