CL9 last Doc Ock mission

2»

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 4th, 5th, and 6th clears were all superwhales.  Wiped twice on the 6th win just trying to get the teamup tiles.  
  • dswan3rd
    dswan3rd Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    I guess I lucked out because (since none of my 4 *s are boosted past 373) it doesn't even sound like I should be in SCL9. Having said that, I got 'em the first time with OML and Rulk. My Doc Ock is 2/0/0, but the stun from his black held Black Bolt in place while I gathered AP for OML/Rulk. A "full" Hammer & Anvil took down BB, then I popped the claws and took down Medusa and Lockjaw, in that order.

It was probably a lucky board more than anything else as one Hair Meddle was the only active ability they fired off the entire match.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Toughest node I've ever faced. Did it 3 times gave up on 4th clear. Couldn't get a whales TU kept coming back off the top :/ .

Kept t20 spot in SCL9, but am seriously considering leveling up my 5s after this node. And maybe that's the intention behind it?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    thisone said:
    Toughest node I've ever faced. Did it 3 times gave up on 4th clear. Couldn't get a whales TU kept coming back off the top :/ .

Kept t20 spot in SCL9, but am seriously considering leveling up my 5s after this node. And maybe that's the intention behind it?

That wouldn't have helped with that node.
    My Ock is champed, I still wiped once on the end grind.
    That node at 515 is crazy.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wiped twice on the initial clear using 450 Thanos, 454 Phoenix, and 420 Ock. I have Ock up to 435 now, probably won't be champ for my end grind but close. It's going to be rough, I'm saving the 3 clears on that node for last, anything I get will just be a bonus on my score.
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Carol and Rulk worked fine for me. If you get Carol black rolling, try to get Rulk out in front to start getting quick strike buffs.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    that node was terrible, coulson and hawkeye are not doing anything there, because if you end up with a board that is rich in purple you are dead in next few turns. Thanos and phanter can't win it either. The only way for me to win is to try CM and Thanos (thanks @Bowgentle) and it worked, but health packs! I heard people having luck with CM and Rulk, but my rulk is not high enough for it.. good luck everyone though
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Boosted X-23's healing makes her almost unstoppable provided you can keep the attack and damage tiles under control.  I use Carol as a 4* backup.  Only problem is if you only get blue and yellow.

For emergencies if possible have a Deadpool purple team-up and use his I win ability.  Nothing like firing this in a battle where you are just about to lose.  Basically I use Deadpool every day in the Deadpool daily and save up his points for just such emergencies.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Well, I managed to clear it for the third time, again with Carol & C&D. Finished 29th in the bracket and took 2 Rogue covers from the event. Mission accomplished :)
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    I had one wipe but cleared it 6/6 (CL9) with Carol (433 boosted) and RHulk (397 boosted), plus 2 B/G and Nova/PHX TUs
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    This node was almost up to boss rush levels of "win fast or you die."

At 515 you were taking well over 15k passive damage each turn one BB got out 4 charged tiles with at least 1 on your strongest color.  

Nothing can survive long against that sort of damage.  So speed is essential.  That's why
     hawkeye/coulson did fairly well: their matches take a long time because of all the animations, but they don't actually take many turns at all.  Same with boosted carol + anyone that makes cds for her.  Just get out some strikes and start buffing; you will be doing 10k+ on each match in no time.

Related question: what other teams at 515 could approach this level of difficulty (other than the obvious answer of original boss rush phoenix or original galactus)?
  • Bowgentle
    Vhailorx said:
    This node was almost up to boss rush levels of "win fast or you die."

At 515 you were taking well over 15k passive damage each turn one BB got out 4 charged tiles with at least 1 on your strongest color.  

Nothing can survive long against that sort of damage.  So speed is essential.  That's why
     hawkeye/coulson did fairly well: their matches take a long time because of all the animations, but they don't actually take many turns at all.  Same with boosted carol + anyone that makes cds for her.  Just get out some strikes and start buffing; you will be doing 10k+ on each match in no time.

Related question: what other teams at 515 could approach this level of difficulty (other than the obvious answer of original boss rush phoenix or original galactus)?
    Any 3 good 4s.
    515 is crazypants territory.

Think Blade / Carol / Wasp.
    Any 4 really, with some exceptions like XF and Fury.

They just aren't meant to go up so high - shows in how Bolt was the "easiest" of that trio.
  • Vhailorx
    edited October 2017
    It wasnt just 515 bowgentle.  The prior 2 events had much easier nodes.  

It was almost impossible to avoid passive damage.  Bb spawns random charged tiles, and lockjaw ruthlessly punishes even a single charged tile on a specific color.  Medusa just does unavoidable damage; it's her whole shtick.  Combined those three made a wicked team with no easy weakpoint to strike.

Other potentially combos need to have that level of syngery and "even the ai can't mess this up" simplicity to approach that level of nasty.

Maybe g4mora + 4*grocket + medusa?  Massive strikes right away + free double dipping.  

Blade + carol + rogue with red as their strongest color?  

Vulture + bobbi?  Ensure that the ai has plenty of ap to punish any random match4s.

Peter parker + miles + gwen: so many web tiles!

• Bowgentle
    Will you stop giving them ideas?
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah that node was nasty.  I wiped a few times just trying to use a super whales TU.

Funny how the 117k health Moonstone today seemed easy in comparison.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    I know right?

I mean it's not so much the giving them ideas, it's the invitation to talk on tough teams. They will think we *want* that level of difficulty for these nodes. Gauntlet, fine absolutely as long as the rewards match. An essential node, no no no!

For me, it's game balance. This node is worth X points and that node is also worth the same. But the level of difficulty can be dramatically different. Consistency please demiurge. If you aren't going to communicate the minutiae of events (and I don't expect you to), at least give us some consistency. See also "lolz guess who is the next 5* essential, we ain't saying". The previous event hints at the next essentials, we have no way to garner this information for 5* essential.

To cover the latest 5* it's good practice to hoard. But these essentials are going against that logic. What's the intention here @Brigby, do they want us to play these nodes over covering 5*?
  • Vhailorx
    edited October 2017
    thisone said:
    Bowgentle said:
    I know right?

I mean it's not so much the giving them ideas, it's the invitation to talk on tough teams. They will think we *want* that level of difficulty for these nodes. Gauntlet, fine absolutely as long as the rewards match. An essential node, no no no!

For me, it's game balance. This node is worth X points and that node is also worth the same. But the level of difficulty can be dramatically different. Consistency please demiurge. If you aren't going to communicate the minutiae of events (and I don't expect you to), at least give us some consistency. See also "lolz guess who is the next 5* essential, we ain't saying". The previous event hints at the next essentials, we have no way to garner this information for 5* essential.

To cover the latest 5* it's good practice to hoard. But these essentials are going against that logic. What's the intention here @Brigby, do they want us to play these nodes over covering 5*?
    No, they want you to spend money to finish building 5*s.  It's not complicated.  The game is a series of pressure mechanics designed to incentivize us to spend cash (want to save that expiring cover?  Buy roster slots!  Want to keep playing? Buy healthpacks!  Want to finish that favorite character?  Buy covers!).  Clearly we players were getting too efficient at hoarding up for the good characters and skipping most of the pressure points.  So now we have new pressure points!