CL9 last Doc Ock mission

D4Ni13
D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
I'm a 4* player in CL9, trying to go as high as possible. Managed to beat the 5* required missions in the first 2 subs, but the last challenge is insane.

Have to fight 40k Medusa + 40k Lockjaw + 50k Black Bolt.

Managed to beat it first time, but really having a hard time to complete it the second time. Any other 4* roster that found a solution to this challenge ?

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Truth be told, this is a tough one for any roster. Black Bolt is arguably the best 5* in the game, and its a great pairing with Lockjaw and Medusa. 

For a 4* player I would recommend Captain Marvel and Cloak and Dagger. Of course it depends on your levels, and if you aren’t boosted past 400 on them you’re in trouble.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeroKarma said:
    For a 4* player I would recommend Captain Marvel and Cloak and Dagger. Of course it depends on your levels, and if you aren’t boosted past 400 on them you’re in trouble.
    I'd suggest on that if your 4*s aren't boosted over level 400 you might not want to be delving into CL9 right now anyway...
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Not sure if it will work, but I'm going to try invisibility.  Once you get invisible is Bolt's green the only threat? 

I was hoping Carol along with someone to make green your strongest color would work, but I don't think any of the boosted 4's are strongest in green.  That could work if you had a champed Bolt or Phoenix.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I got lucky with Vulture and Rulk but I dont reccomend it lol. Stockpiled black and was just constantly airborn with Vulture chipping away with AOE green and blue. It was more luck than anything.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I won twice with Captain Marvel and C&D. I think I'm probably done, though. Just don't have them high enough. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I recommend super whales as a TU and pray you get enough AP
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    I've won twice with Carol and C4ge (both champed in the 270s, 4 covers/255 on Doc). I kill her first, then BB, then Lockjaw. His protect tiles mitigate Medusa a bit, I executive decision the photonic barrage as soon as I can, preferably the moment it hits the board. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s not a cake walk with 5*s too once they all hit level 515 after 4 clears. My hawkeye/Coulson team barely won those 4 battles, but it’s looking impossible to do that next 3 clears. SS and thanos offer no help so I may have to take up wymtime’s suggestion depending on my rank. 
  • D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    ZeroKarma said:
    I'd suggest on that if your 4*s aren't boosted over level 400 you might not want to be delving into CL9 right now anyway...
    Normally yeah, but I'm in t40 after 2 subs. That means 2 Rogue covers if I manage to stay there :)

Carol & C&D was my team also, for the first win. I will try them again. Vulture + Gamora almost did it, but 7500 dmg every turn from Lockjaw's charge tile passive is too much...
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I beat it with Carol and Red Hulk. My 5* Doc Ock is at one cover so he at best absorbed a single attack. My focus was to get Carol's strikes out, aiming for Lockjaw first, then Medusa, then Black Bolt. I tried to keep Red Hulk in front because of his massive HP pool, plus it would trigger his 'Anger' — with Carol's strikes, not only does the move do 4K+ damage every time it goes off, but the countdowns further buff the strikes. After a few turns of these buffs and a couple of Photonic Barrages they were down.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Carol Red Hulk definitely the best 4* combo - target doggie first and keep matching charged while prioritizing black.
  • D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    I beat it with Carol and Red Hulk. My 5* Doc Ock is at one cover so he at best absorbed a single attack. My focus was to get Carol's strikes out, aiming for Lockjaw first, then Medusa, then Black Bolt. I tried to keep Red Hulk in front because of his massive HP pool, plus it would trigger his 'Anger' — with Carol's strikes, not only does the move do 4K+ damage every time it goes off, but the countdowns further buff the strikes. After a few turns of these buffs and a couple of Photonic Barrages they were down.
    Interesting aproach. Unfortunately my Rulk is too week for that. I managed to beat the mission the second time too (boosted Carol & C&D), but I lost 3 times with that team also. My problem is that Carol is my best 4* and I cannot protect her against damage. I tried killing Medusa first because I'm afraid she would steal my special tiles with her hair meddle. Then Bolt and Lockjaw at the end. 

But I will try Rulk to see if he gets anywhere. 

• mega ghost
    D4Ni13 said:
    Interesting aproach. Unfortunately my Rulk is too week for that. I managed to beat the mission the second time too (boosted Carol & C&D), but I lost 3 times with that team also. My problem is that Carol is my best 4* and I cannot protect her against damage. I tried killing Medusa first because I'm afraid she would steal my special tiles with her hair meddle. Then Bolt and Lockjaw at the end. 

Ah, both my Carol and Rhulk are champed, so boosted they were up to the task. I beat the node twice (for the token and 3 CP), past that I wasn't interested in further suffering, but I started with Lockjaw because he was the one doing the most devastating passive damage each turn with The Dog That Bit You — between his charge tiles and Black Bolt's, it quickly became the quickest path to my downfall.
  • D4Ni13
    Pongie said:
    It’s not a cake walk with 5*s too once they all hit level 515 after 4 clears. My hawkeye/Coulson team barely won those 4 battles, but it’s looking impossible to do that next 3 clears. SS and thanos offer no help so I may have to take up wymtime’s suggestion depending on my rank. 
    How does Hawkeye & Coulson work ? I have a champed Coulson (actually my second best 4* after Carol) and 4 cover Hawkeye (2-2-0). Would that work ? 
  • Pongie
    You basically spam arrows (both red and blue) and Coulson passive will create another countdown per arrow. Hawkeye passive then generate red and blue ap for each count down that survives and you spam more arrows. Eventually you run out of arrows and just keep bashing. Each arrows effects are just a bonus. 
  • mega ghost
    edited October 2017
    D4Ni13 said:
    Pongie said:
    How does Hawkeye & Coulson work ? I have a champed Coulson (actually my second best 4* after Carol) and 4 cover Hawkeye (2-2-0). Would that work ? 
    Oh man, some of the best synergy in the game! You'll want Carol, Coulson, and 5* Hawkeye, and you'll want him at least at 1/1/1 (but 2/2/0 will still work somewhat as his most important ability is his purple passives.) 

As you know, Carol's black countdown makes a powerful strike tile every turn.
    Carol's yellow passive buffs your special tiles whenever a countdown expires.

Coulson's blue passive creates a 1-turn countdown that does damage any time an ally fires a power.
    Coulson's yellow passive generates two random AP every time a countdown expires.
    Coulson's purple passive reduces friendly countdowns timers by 2 (a random one as log as you have enough team-up AP.)

Hawkeye's purple passive gives you red and blue AP whenever a friendly countdown reaches zero.
    Hawkeye's purple passive also fortifies one or more friendly countdown(s) at the end of every turn.
    Hawkeye's blue and red powers are inexpensive and countdown-based, so you fire them often and easily, which adds more countdowns and triggers more passives. 

Basically, you become an endless motion machine of sorts, where firing a power (ideally Carol's black to start) sets off a chain reaction of the creation of additional countdowns, special tile buffs, AP generation, damage, and cascades that cause matches, sometimes also causing more countdowns to fire causing more damage, special tile buffs, and AP generation. Your strike tiles get insane pretty quickly, the board is covered in short countdown timers, and you're flush with AP. After a little bit you're firing Hawkeye's blue and red every turn, sometimes twice or more in a turn each.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    Pongie said:
    Oh man, some of the best synergy in the game! You'll want Carol, Coulson, and 5* Hawkeye, and you'll want him at least at 1/1/1 (but 2/2/0 will still work somewhat as his most important ability is his purple passives.) 

As you know, Carol's black countdown makes a powerful strike tile every turn.
    Carol's yellow passive buffs your special tiles whenever a countdown expires.

Coulson's blue passive creates a 1-turn countdown that does damage any time an ally fires a power.
    Coulson's yellow passive generates two random AP every time a countdown expires.
    Coulson's purple passive reduces friendly countdowns timers by 2 (a random one as log as you have enough team-up AP.)

Hawkeye's purple passive gives you red and blue AP whenever a friendly countdown reaches zero.
    Hawkeye's purple passive also fortifies one or more friendly countdown(s) at the end of every turn.
    Hawkeye's blue and red powers are inexpensive and countdown-based, so you fire them often and easily, which adds more countdowns and triggers more passives. 

Basically, you become an endless motion machine of sorts, where firing a power (ideally Carol's black to start) sets off a chain reaction of the creation of additional countdowns, special tile buffs, AP generation, damage, and cascades that cause matches, sometimes also causing more countdowns to fire causing more damage, special tile buffs, and AP generation. Your strike tiles get insane pretty quickly, the board is covered in short countdown timers, and you're flush with AP. After a little bit you're firing Hawkeye's blue and red every turn, sometimes twice or more in a turn each.

That doesn't help him for the Doc Ock node, though.
  • Pongie
    edited October 2017
    You don’t really need carol though, she doesn’t add much. You are chasing blue/red to get arrows started and don’t have time to chase black/yellow for carol. Without black, only two of the arrows produce tiles to buff. Most of the time, you run out of arrows quicker than carol buffing tiles would help. Remember it’s only a handful of turns before you run out of arrows. I find carol more of a win more and only useful in waves.

A better third would be xfdp. Enforcer helps against 2-3x 5* teams and ramps up your ap. Countdown for what gets better when the tiles are fortified too (if all 3 are fortified, when you match them you trigger each twice). Being fortified also means they survive a match and ramps up more ap. he also provide a red outlet for when you have 30ap but no more blue tiles. 

Though none of this is useful in this node. It was a tight race during the first 4 clears already. Can’t even rely on mbw team ups to buy you time because Coulson passive eats them up.

Edit: I was fairly hesitant to have hawkeye as my first 5* champion. But when I championed Coulson, it was a turning point. I could finally beat thanos/panther combos without relying so much on health packs (you only need to heal hawkeye, once every few battles). The only downside is speed. All those animations and firing of arrows takes time. Though it was good to have a retal war with a mirror team when the pvp event was based on the number of wins. 
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    That node was sadistic. Hawkeye, Coulson and Ock came out on top finally. I tried a few different team along the way but they were the most successful.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I'm in CL8, but I found the Bolt fight easier than the previous ones thanks to the lack of strike tiles.  THe goons were downing my whole team with just two Tommy Gun hits.
    My Doc Oc is 0/1/1 level 255, and I paired him with Capt. Marvel (level 284 pre-boost) and X-23 (level 274 pre-boost)
    X-23 was able to heal on all 3 of her colors, and once I got Carol's black going, it was smooth sailing.