Time to wipe the coalition leaderboards.

Options
2»

Comments

• losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dropspot said:
    I really liked @majincob idea. That would be great to have. Also another great add would be a API  so 3rd party could have access to event scores that way we could create some great stuff outside the game with lots of info and save Devs time building more needed stuff. 
    this has been suggested many times before
    If Oktagon wants to score some browny points in core player base it will make this a priority

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seasonal ranking and prizes would perhaps fill in the competitive gap that died with the austerity package.  Especially if they did it both at the individual and coalition level.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    All time leader board should be wiped. It does not show true/real effort. Many of the scores have been artificially inflated in ways not in tented
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy said:

You know what would be great? The walkers leveling up slowly Everytime you play with them. Like mastery. 

I always thought it was weird that it wasn't like that when I started playing this game.  Many other games leveled in that manner and play just fine.  

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    Ohboy said:

You know what would be great? The walkers leveling up slowly Everytime you play with them. Like mastery. 

I always thought it was weird that it wasn't like that when I started playing this game.  Many other games leveled in that manner and play just fine.  

Isn't this what already happens? Except you get the luxury of dissociating experience gain from playing **** low level PW add nauseum if you don't want to.
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Options

There is no point in having an 'All Time' leaderboard if you are going to reset it. Adding a monthly or seasonal board would satisfy those who have a burning need to see their coalition name up in lights.

The current top coalitions expend a lot of effort well beyond just competing in events to maintain their position. I imagine throwing that effort away would annoy quite a few dedicated players. 

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    majincob said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Ohboy said:

Isn't this what already happens? Except you get the luxury of dissociating experience gain from playing tinykitty low level PW add nauseum if you don't want to.

Eh, not really.  Players with enough runes can instantly level brand new PWs to 60. It kind of ruins the experience of starting out as a weak PW, but as you level him up seeing him/her grow in power.  This is a rare agreement I have with OhBoy in terms of game design.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    majincob said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Ohboy said:

Isn't this what already happens? Except you get the luxury of dissociating experience gain from playing tinykitty low level PW add nauseum if you don't want to.

Eh, not really.  Players with enough runes can instantly level brand new PWs to 60. It kind of ruins the experience of starting out as a weak PW, but as you level him up seeing him/her grow in power.  This is a rare agreement I have with OhBoy in terms of game design.
    Personally I wouldn't like that. I don't have time to play a bunch of extra games. Fortunately I seem to be making enough runes playing in events.
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I also prefer how it is today. And I don't have all walkers at 60 and runes in excess...
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Fiddler said:

There is no point in having an 'All Time' leaderboard if you are going to reset it. Adding a monthly or seasonal board would satisfy those who have a burning need to see their coalition name up in lights.

The current top coalitions expend a lot of effort well beyond just competing in events to maintain their position. I imagine throwing that effort away would annoy quite a few dedicated players. 

Yes! My coalition is closing to top 10, don't do this to us now, no reset please!  :-). 
    But a seasonal ranking would be a cool addition. Maybe monthly, or for the length of existence of a set? (since the coalition events change every new set) 
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For leaderboard , i would like d3go to separate pve score and pvp score..... each scoring in different purpose.....
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Planeswalker leveling is just another example of an unfriendly new player experience.  It stretches out the grind by forcing them to compete with weaker planeswalkers for lesser rewards, including a paltry proportion of what's necessary to level to 60. Meanwhile, those of us up top can instantly level a planeswalker to 60 and earn enough each month to level subsequent ones as well.  

I'd much rather see a system that allows newer players to catch up more quickly, either by greatly increasing rune rewards, or by allowing alternate means of planeswalker "mastery". 

• madwren
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:
    It makes sense to have score periodically reset. Some of us have advocated the idea for a while. Since the player base has dwindled, there will be less opposition. Competition and prestige is not as important as it used to be even among top coalitions.

That's something of a contradiction, though. If competition/prestige aren't important, then one shouldn't care if the leaderboard is reset. 

Regardless, a seasonal/block board would be divine. 

• TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    madwren said:
    Planeswalker leveling is just another example of an unfriendly new player experience.  It stretches out the grind by forcing them to compete with weaker planeswalkers for lesser rewards, including a paltry proportion of what's necessary to level to 60. Meanwhile, those of us up top can instantly level a planeswalker to 60 and earn enough each month to level subsequent ones as well.  

I'd much rather see a system that allows newer players to catch up more quickly, either by greatly increasing rune rewards, or by allowing alternate means of planeswalker "mastery". 

When I was starting out I did most of my leveling with runes from progressing through story mode. Got me most of my early crystals too.
  • madwren
    Options
    madwren said:

When I was starting out I did most of my leveling with runes from progressing through story mode. Got me most of my early crystals too.

Yes, story mode can be immensely helpful, even if new players presumably would use those rewards to level the Origins planeswalkers in an attempt to advance in the game, before learning about the steep climb ahead of them.
    One of the true shames of this game is that they decided to stop producing story mode content.

• Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I want to keep all time rankings! I’ve worked hard at MTGGOLDFISH to move up and we are closing in on top 10! I think that keeping that leaderboard is a good idea of maintaining motivation and competition. I get it that it appears to always be the same teams. But we worked hard at it and put in the time.

And seasonal rankings by card blocks - now that’s a great idea!
  • spadpl
    spadpl Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Thésée, @Froggy in your case resetting all-time leaderboard will by tinykitty.

• Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And no, please don't wipe the leaderboards. They are not stagnant (although the change is very slow at the top). It took 4 months for my D3fenestrate to get to the top 100 and it felt like a real accomplishment. Now D3NIED just moved to 12th (only another 50k ribbons to catch @Froggy and MTGGOLDFISH!) 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If Hibernum were still in charge, I'd have made the point that setting the value of a variable to 0 was probably beyond their capabilities.