Thank you for bringing back the X-Men

2»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    heybub said:
    Do we have confirmation that they are adding an X-Men/Man/Woman/Person?  The new intro is great, but maybe it just means some new X-Men event and not a new character.

I would think there will be a new X-Men character, but even so, it does not necessarily mean the Mutant flood gate has been opened. 

It also might be a character nobody likes, like Forge or Beak, or that X-Men whose mutant power is that people forget him (can't remember his name...). 
    Check out the Character Details forum for Cthulhu's 2 posts on "Unknown coming soon" characters. Not to get anyones hopes up but those power descriptions combined with the colour choices sure do fit a certain pair of Southern US hailing mutants...
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    DAZ0273 said:
    heybub said:
    Do we have confirmation that they are adding an X-Men/Man/Woman/Person?  The new intro is great, but maybe it just means some new X-Men event and not a new character.

I would think there will be a new X-Men character, but even so, it does not necessarily mean the Mutant flood gate has been opened. 

It also might be a character nobody likes, like Forge or Beak, or that X-Men whose mutant power is that people forget him (can't remember his name...). 
    Check out the Character Details forum for Cthulhu's 2 posts on "Unknown coming soon" characters. Not to get anyones hopes up but those power descriptions combined with the colour choices sure do fit a certain pair of Southern US hailing mutants...
    Cannonball and Husk confirmed?
  • DAZ0273

thisone said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    heybub said:

Cannonball and Husk confirmed?
    I think so, yes.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Tahroo said:

While I don't like the terrible movies that FOX puts out, the way Marvel acts towards this situation is childish. If not for FOX buying these cinematic rights, Marvel would have gone under and we wouldn't even be talking about a mobile game of their IP.  
    Just for the record, it's not Marvel, it's Disney. In modern times, Disney is essentially a company that creates very little that's new, they just acquire successful IP and milk it as expertly and thoroughly as they can. Everything is interconnected, everything is promoted across all channels. Marvel was one of these acquisitions. The comics promote the movies which promote the merchandise, etc. Disney does not want to sink any resources into promoting IP that they cannot profit from completely. It's a business decision. Past that, I'm sure there is some hope that they can weaken the properties enough that they can regain control.

And the comics themselves are one of their least profitable channels. While the characters they don't have movie rights to still exist in the comics, they have crippled them. The ongoing Fantastic Four comic was cancelled, they killed Wolverine, etc. I assure you that Marvel was not looking to do these things, it was on Disney's command. 

I'm certain the only reason we're getting this now is because of 'The Gifted.' I don't know the specifics of that deal, but it was produced by 20th Century Fox Television in association with Marvel Television — which means that Disney has a stake in this one. The show is strictly not connected to the ongoing X-Men film universe, which means Marvel/Disney can cross-promote and have it be worth their while without also promoting films they get no cut of.

Well the fact the Comics have increased the mutant output with RessurXion kills off this conspiracy. Logan died but will naturally be back once OML stops being popular. Considering OML is currently in a solo title, leading Weapon X and a cast member of X-Men Gold AND Astonishing X-Men. Also strange that X-23 is on her second volume of All New Wolverine considering Dafne Keen has just brought Laura onto the big screen. Legion didn't effect the game in the slightest and neither of the new characters are set to appear in the show GIFTED anyway.

I wonder if we will get a more classic 90's costume for Rogue or will it be the Uncanny Avenger hooded green outfit.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    @mega ghost Hmm....if I say there is comic news this week that counters one of your points, is that a spoiler?  Google if you would like to know more.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    The x men are just to crucial to Marvel and marvel games.

Lack of xmen just feels wrong.

So glad to have em back
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tahroo said:
    i'm still not optimistic, as I'm a believer in the conspiracy theory that says Marvel is choking all characters not belonging to MCU. And a big part of that is the X Men.
    Not really a conspiracy theory when it is a proven fact. The game Marvel Heroes admitted as much. They shoved out X-Men and Fantastic Four as fast as they could because Marvel wanted them to stop being promoted back in 2014. Even MPQ put out Mr. Fantastic, Thing and a 2* Torch within a few weeks of each other, guessing they got the same treatment by Marvel. Then recently MH had to remove the Fantastic Four from their store per Marvel's orders. Check every other Marvel game; outside of Wolverine, Deadpool, Dr. Doom and Magneto (big names amongst fans).. no FOX owned characters. Lego Marvel 2 has 2 X-Men, no Fantastic Four. Marvel vs Capcom has no XM or FF.

While I don't like the terrible movies that FOX puts out, the way Marvel acts towards this situation is childish. If not for FOX buying these cinematic rights, Marvel would have gone under and we wouldn't even be talking about a mobile game of their IP.  
    The Marvel Heroes thing sounds like they chose not to re-up a license to keep selling those characters. They're still in the game for everyone that owns them already, and they didn't remove Doom at all. And nowhere does it say it was done on "Marvel's orders." More likely the license ran out and MH decided it wasn't worth the cost to keep it going.

And your MPQ data is just flat wrong. IW was Nov 2013, 3* Torch was April 2014, 2* Torch was July 2014, Thing was June 2015, and Mr F was August of 2015. They weren't "all released within a few weeks of each other" like they had to get them out before Marvel's deadline. The closest of them were two months apart, and the whole team took almost two years to release. And if Marvel wanted X-Men promotion to end in 2014 then why did we get 4* Cyclops, Teen Jean, Iceman, Old Man Logan, Phoenix, and X-23 almost back to back (only non-X-man during that stretch was Red Hulk) at the end of 2015? That's the largest "release season" of a single franchise this game has had, to my knowledge.

Marvel vs Capcom is MCU focused (like Lego Marvel Avengers was). Makes sense they wouldn't have X-Men or FF, because those aren't in the MCU.

But Lego Marvel Superheros 2 is based around Kang. You know, major Avengers villain who can't be used in the MCU due to his origins and legal ties to the Fantastic Four movie rights.

There's clear evidence that Marvel is focusing on MCU characters, and that of course means downplaying some non-MCU like the F4 and X-Men, no one is denying that.

But good lord are the people who keep insisting the X-men and F4 "ban" is real are exhausting. The conspiracy people need to chill out a little.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tahroo said:

Just for the record, it's not Marvel, it's Disney. In modern times, Disney is essentially a company that creates very little that's new, they just acquire successful IP and milk it as expertly and thoroughly as they can. Everything is interconnected, everything is promoted across all channels. Marvel was one of these acquisitions. The comics promote the movies which promote the merchandise, etc. Disney does not want to sink any resources into promoting IP that they cannot profit from completely. It's a business decision. Past that, I'm sure there is some hope that they can weaken the properties enough that they can regain control.

And the comics themselves are one of their least profitable channels. While the characters they don't have movie rights to still exist in the comics, they have crippled them. The ongoing Fantastic Four comic was cancelled, they killed Wolverine, etc. I assure you that Marvel was not looking to do these things, it was on Disney's command. 

I'm certain the only reason we're getting this now is because of 'The Gifted.' I don't know the specifics of that deal, but it was produced by 20th Century Fox Television in association with Marvel Television — which means that Disney has a stake in this one. The show is strictly not connected to the ongoing X-Men film universe, which means Marvel/Disney can cross-promote and have it be worth their while without also promoting films they get no cut of.

Well the fact the Comics have increased the mutant output with RessurXion kills off this conspiracy. Logan died but will naturally be back once OML stops being popular. Considering OML is currently in a solo title, leading Weapon X and a cast member of X-Men Gold AND Astonishing X-Men. Also strange that X-23 is on her second volume of All New Wolverine considering Dafne Keen has just brought Laura onto the big screen. Legion didn't effect the game in the slightest and neither of the new characters are set to appear in the show GIFTED anyway.

I wonder if we will get a more classic 90's costume for Rogue or will it be the Uncanny Avenger hooded green outfit.
    It's not a conspiracy, it's an open secret, I was working in the industry and with the company at the time. Wolverine was killed in the comics in 2014, and I believe the Fantastic Four comic was cancelled that same year. X-23 came in as All-New Wolverine in 2015 and Old Man Logan came in post Secret Wars in January of 2016, before the 'Logan' film came out in 2017. The climate has certainly changed since, and I don't know what deals have been made and what attitudes may have changed, but all of these things happening was not coincidence.
  • Bigtone
    Bigtone Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Rogue, Gambit and Nightcrawler!!!.......cant wait
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Glad to see some new characters, especially XMEN. It's great to not (not saying it in a negative way) to see new characters that are indeed new and not just re-re-releases of existing ones. Thanks!
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I like Rogue's cover art. Anyone catch that?

"Finally! Because you demanded it..."

How appropriate. :)
  • BigMike182
    BigMike182 Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Psyched for Nightcrawler, one of my two favorite Marvel characters (along with the Hulk)! I hope they put in some New Mutants characters in the game when the movie comes out.
  • DAZ0273
    Having the X-Men back is all the more cool as it opens up some nice potential future characters that are vllains. Sentinels in particular would be a groovy new bad guy and we could have Days of Future Past where you really ARE supposed to lose!
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    Having the X-Men back is all the more cool as it opens up some nice potential future characters that are vllains. Sentinels in particular would be a groovy new bad guy and we could have Days of Future Past where you really ARE supposed to lose!
    I would also like Mr Sinister as a future villain. 
  • DAZ0273
    D4Ni13 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    That would be cool, Sabretooth as well.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,763 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:

But good lord are the people who keep insisting the X-men and F4 "ban" is real are exhausting. The conspiracy people need to chill out a little.
    Agree with your post, on the other hand I much rather people spend their time making up conspiracy theories about fictional characters than about child-trafficking in Washington pizzerias.
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    DAZ0273 said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    That would be cool, Sabretooth as well.
    I am for both of these, and 5* Apocalypse as well. I also want a Red Skull to round out the villains, for future mutant divergence. But I feel an Enchantress coming with the new Thor.

The new X-men team affiliation is a welcome -- and very overdue -- add. Now we just need the previous characters updated. I really think the affiliation should have simply been Mutant, otherwise D3 needs to have Brotherhood of (Evil) Mutants as another affiliation.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    i wish Rogue had been a 5 star. Got a big hoard going and would have loved to spend it chasing her.  
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Bringing X-Men back may bring fans like me back as well, so thank you for that.  I voiced my disappointment in some of the implementation so far in other threads, but I still am glad that characters are at least being developed fo the game again, which has been a highly requested subject for a while now.