Member Berries

Options
Alx85
Alx85 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
Im on day 1075 of my mpq journey. I've been reading some of the recent posts and seeing some of the challenges players seem to face when transitioning at the moment from day 2* to 3* and then to 4* etc and it made me think back to what it was like when I started out. I think I joined around the time of the first gotg movie as 3* gamora was just out the 3* rng etc.There was just pve and pvp, no ddq only lightning rounds for that extra spark. Maybe about 5 4* at the time and hardly anyone had them usable.. (xfw, iw, 4hor, nick f etc) no CP, no SCL, no picking your difficulty level, no elite tokens, no vaults (just rngsus), 5* didn't happen for a long time. You had to grind or spend cash to get covers of 3*. So many changes to max clears in pve, bonuses, ISO etc. Anyone remember the first boss event with galactus' ship teasing us for a month before the event started? Nerfs, buffs, reworks galore. This game has come such a long way over the years. I know it's not perfect at times but I'm still here and having fun! 

Whats your earliest memory of the game and what was the most exciting change? For me off the top of my head it was original ddq, right when I needed it a daily 3* feed was the greatest gift! 

Comments

• Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Earliest memory? Wow. Downloaded game. November 2013. Excited. Open app. Loading screen. Oh boy! Start tutorial. Get enough AP to repulser blast. Game locks on Iron Man high five.
    Best upgrade? The ability to play for one whole day without game crashing. Circa; February 2014. Ahhhhthe memories.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Earliest memory? Wow. Downloaded game. November 2013. Excited. Open app. Loading screen. Oh boy! Start tutorial. Get enough AP to repulser blast. Game locks on Iron Man high five.
    Best upgrade? The ability to play for one whole day without game crashing. Circa; February 2014. Ahhhhthe memories.

What do you play on? I’m on day 1205 played on iOS and can probably count the number of crashes I’ve had on two hands. 

Earliest memory pulling a Doctor Doom on my 1st ever 500 iso purchase of a standard token. It was probably 10 minutes into playing. It also set me up for some unrealistic expectations about standard tokens. 

Best change is is by far DDQ. I’m still waiting on the addition of a daily 4 star node. Then that will be the greatest addition. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My earliest memory was playing it on its Android launch date and hammering the prologue for 3 days straight trying to get 2-star Storm & Thor covers, because they were the tinykitty bomb. After that I did everything I could to get Ragnarok covers because even though he only had red and green covers he could slaughter anything in his path. Of course, 3-star Spider-Man was the best character to have because he could perma-stun whole teams and true-heal the entire party so health packs were a laughable resource. Then 3-star Punisher came along and he was fearsome in PvP and generated a lot of skips (which were free) until I got a 3-star lazy Thor fully covered and everything seemed to come full circle as I was once again calling the storm to annihilate my foes.
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My earliest good memory was pulling 2900 hero points off a token when my slots were still priced at like 300-350 points each. Being able to blow hp like a boss led me to subsequently dropping $20 on the game after finding a twenty dollar bill in the street.

My earliest bad memory was maybe a couple of weeks after I'd started, finally beating a node in DDQ, by the skin of my teeth. Only to find out what a "wave" node really meant. 

DDQ was probably the best change to me, but the ending of Heroics is most likely what benefitted me the most, since my roster was young and my interest waning when it happened. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One of my earliest memories was googling "How do I earn ISO-8 in MPQ" and reading a couple of basic blogs on the game.
    Was still fairly new to the way these Gatcha games worked and I was eager to get my Iron Man, Storm and that broken, over powered, annoying as all hell Black Widow up to max level.

I also remember seeing Iron Man's blue doing 1400 AoE felt like such a lot of damage.

There was also the Unstable ISO event which I started, did a couple of nodes for and saw the yellow loaner node with level 100 enemies (I think?) and thought "Oh...can't beat them...guess I'll have to come back when I'm stronger" not realising the game gave you dudes to fight with.

I also remember my first winfinite combo of Wolverine, Thor and Storm on desert maps where you just gathered environmental tiles with Storm's red, made a butt load of green with the environmental move, fired Storm's green, gathered more AP, gathered more environmental tiles, rince and repeat until you had a ton of AP, then use Thor's AoE to murder everything. Maybe use Wolverine to finish anything left.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    chaos01 said:

What do you play on? I’m on day 1205 played on iOS and can probably count the number of crashes I’ve had on two hands. 

Earliest memory pulling a Doctor Doom on my 1st ever 500 iso purchase of a standard token. It was probably 10 minutes into playing. It also set me up for some unrealistic expectations about standard tokens. 

Best change is is by far DDQ. I’m still waiting on the addition of a daily 4 star node. Then that will be the greatest addition. 
    Dude. There were no 3* when I started. No holds barred was a thing to get 3*. Eventually.
  • KingDon
    KingDon Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options

Environment tiles that did different things depending on the map that ranged from terrible (50 health back) to awesome +5 of all AP

+3 All and +3 colour boosts effectively mean't that you could fire a power on your first turn.

+3 All boosts only costing 200 iso

PVP Progression rewards that looks liked this (Yes that is a 2* Bullseye at 325 and 600 and a 3* Hulk at 1200 and 1600 and 1800 for that ole 4*)

25 Recruit Token
    50 500 ISO
    100 Recruit Token
    175 250 ISO
    250 Recruit Token Avengers
    325 Bullseye B
    400 50 HP
    500 500 ISO
    600 Bullseye P
    700 500 ISO
    800 Recruit Token Avengers
    900 1000 ISO
    1000 100 HP
    1200 Hulk R
    1400 1000 ISO
    1600 Hulk B
    1800 IW Y

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,332 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3 memories (and a bonus!):  

I was playing through the prologue, not realising the game was PVP/PVE style.  Not part of an alliance.  Thought it was primarily single player.  I got a pop-up that said "earn Psylocke" and thought, what is this?  I don't understand, and ignored it.   How do I earn Psylocke?  I don't see her in the prologue....

I opened a token and got Patch (The Best There Is), back when it was one of the best moves around.  My first thought?  I already have a wolverine (2*), why do I want another?

I finally joined an alliance.  Public alliance, with 6 open slots.  After playing a bit, I was made a commander in our little alliance.  Then I had enough HP (not enough to buy covers, didn't care for token purchases), and spend it on opening a 7th slot.  Then had some more and opened an 8th.  Paying for alliance slots until it was opened to 20 for everyone.

And I miss environmental tiles.  Those were fun.  Trying to leave a goon alive with lowest level attacks as possible to be able to use Hot Dog Stand and True Heal.  
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Earliest memory was starting the game, getting IM35, then wasting 100 HP to upgrade one of his powers. Then I started to learn that HP was crusual to expanding your roster and 1 star flowed like water. Pretty dumb rookie mistake.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Before they added the ability to champion characters, I remember having 200K+ ISO, and nothing to spend it on because I had every character, and they were all max leveled for the covers I had.  I would sit and buy standard covers at 500 ISO each for 20-30 minutes straight hoping to get one of the 3*s I didn't have fully covered. Then I sold everything I couldn't use and started over.
    Then they added the ability to champion characters and I never had an ISO surplus again. Even when they added SHIELD Ranks, and I got a huge ISO dump for levels 1-65, I used it all within an hour. 

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I saw the game on Steam and had just finished playing several puzzle quest games and I was like, hey I love puzzle quest and I love Marvel.  When I joined, they had just removed environment tiles from the game because I remember reading about them but was like how come they aren't showing up in the game, then I realized they had recently removed them from the game.  
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm at New York Comic-Con October 2013 and the Marvel video games panel is in between two other panels. I'd pretty much ignored all the early mobile games to that point. Then there was this match-3 game described called Marvel Puzzle Quest. It didn't hurt that a player got to the microphone during Q&A to give the developers on the panel grief over the nerf to Loki. Yes, Loki. I was thinking I have to check this out. I go to the booth on the last day of the show. They give me a promotional 2* Thor cover for downloading the game. For the entire time traveling home on the train I'm playing; hooked for the next four years.

It is hard to believe it has been that long.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    You should stop by and visit our booth again at NYCC 2017, @Colognoisseur :)
  • spiderpool
    spiderpool Posts: 76 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I remember matching environmental tiles to gain health or gain AP or create more tiles of certain colors. I also remember googling how t get covers for X-Force wolverine, who I believe was the only 4* at the time. 
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm currently on day 993 but I took a break for around a year before picking it up again, even at the start I was a very casual player and put the game to one side when I hit my resource limit. When I picked it up again I spent more money than I should have in the space of a few short months in an effort to catch up again.

I stopped playing shortly after Nick Fury was introduced, I specifically remember when I returned that Ant-Man was the next 4* introduction.

One of the most positive memories I have is with the introduction of DDQ.
  • scism
    scism Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ah these bring back memories... i'm on day 1424 so i can't imagine there are a huge number with more days (i've missed a handful when away with no wi-fi), although my memory clearly isnt great (dont remember the environment tiles). I have three distinct memories:

1) Getting Rag to max level when he was the king...only for him to be nerfed to hell a couple of weeks later
    2) Getting my first 4*, X-force, to the max level (which was like 169 or something, not what it is today)....only for him to be nerfed to hell a couple of weeks later
    3) Spidey being absolute king, sentry being a beast, punisher being incredible, heck even IMHB being unbeatable....all fallen by the wayside or nerfed away.

Things change a lot....can't believe its been so long
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I very vaguely remember Ragnarok being the be all end all of MPQ. I also remember the environmental tiles. I took a decent break from the game and quite a bit changed. Ahhh, nostalgia...
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some of my earliest memories include when 3* Magneto was a monster - he could turn any two tiles to blue, if I recall correctly - back when Patchneto was a thing. Also, I too miss the environmental tiles - they really should bring those back for anniversary events (although I guess that would probably be a mess coding wise). 

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm only 600+ days in but I remember vaguely I had earned enough HP to buy a token from a pack. The Hulk PVE was running around that time and I thought, "Man, if I get that 3* Hulk I will be crushing this game" and I drew a 4* Hulkbuster black. I was angry! Yep, I got the power that self inflicts damage LOL! Anyway, I quickly realized that I could take Hulkbuster into the prologue and farm ISO at 10 or 20 a pop, whatever it was. I didn't get to do this for very long because the announcement soon came out that the Prologue would be locked. I was angry again! Had they not shut that down, I'm certain I wouldn't be hurting for ISO now LMAO
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I remember when PvE events had 2 versions, an easy version and a heroic version that was much harder, and you could play in both. So essentially they would run 2 PvE at a time.

I also remember they had a versus event that you had to buy into. I think it cost like 100hp just to enter. The prize for first place in these events was one of every cover currently in the game.

Yes, I also miss environment tiles. 1* storm in the desert was winfinite. The first few months i played this game i used 1* storm for almost every fight cause she was totally broken in the desert.