CL9 5 star nodes

2»

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    i tried multiple teams for the 5* nodes, such as IM46-BSS, IM46-C4rol, Strange-OML, coulson-c4rol... etc. i found that a pure 5* team may not be the best, because the match dmg is not as useful against those super scaled monsters. you often need an accelerator or some tactics (such as coulson-c4rol).

someone suggested Antman! why didn't i think of that? that's brilliant. 

i often end up needing a health pack or two. but as long as it's a win i am ok. I am nor fighting for placement just doing 6 clears leisurely. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,190 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, the "challenge" is great when you have multiple capped 5 stars.  Otherwise, it's stupid, and grossly unfair.  My guess would be the people loving it are the people that can clear it relatively easily.  It basically destroyed placement for what I would consider "most people" in SC 8 and now 9, unless you're already stacked, and frankly, don't need the high placement.  I'm thrilled it doesn't affect progression awards, don't get me wrong.  i just think it should be worth the clear rewards, and not points. 

Oh no, a dissenting opinion!  What should we do? 

Agreed 100%. It definitely has no business being in CL7 because the majority of players there won't even have the 5* with even 1 cover. I have every 2,3&4* rostered (8 4* champs) and a 2* farm going but I've only been 'lucky' enough to get half the 5* and Starlord isn't one of them. So despite doing 7 clears of every node I'm not even T50 (that effort normally nets me T20 and sometimes T10) so I'm not even in line for a 3* cover!

Taking it out of CL7 and changing the rewards in CL8 to 500,CP,Event Token,CP,1000,1000 ISO would help to get some of the insane 5* rosters out of CL7 at at least into 8.

AS far as "challenge" goes, we already had that a couple months ago when PvE scaling. Problem was the exponential scaling ruined things for 5* rosters. An alternate solution that would have fixed things without sending all the 5* rosters down to CL7 for easy rewards would have been to leave PvE scaling and just cap it at say 330ish. Then there would be no incentive to drop down to lower CL because 5* rosters would face 330 max scaling at all clearance levels.

KGB
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dissent shall not be tolerated! Lock him/her up!
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I am enjoying the challenge.  I thought the 3rd sub 5th clear was impossible for me without whales, but I finally got it on my 5th or 6th try.  That was the most satisfying MPQ win I've had in a long time.

I ended up beating it with IW and Vulture, so it is possible with only 4's, but it took good strategy and luck.

What other 4* teams have people used?  

It is a lot of time and health packs, so I don't know how often I'll play SL9, but it's more fun than rolling through SL7/8 clears without a challenge.

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I ended up beating it with IW and Vulture, so it is possible with only 4's, but it took good strategy and luck.

What other 4* teams have people used?  

It is a lot of time and health packs, so I don't know how often I'll play SL9, but it's more fun than rolling through SL7/8 clears without a challenge.

4* teams i found useful. 

- Miles and Invisible woman. against symbiotes, once you go invisible you are clear to coast. one of the symbiotes can clear special tiles so you need to target him first. bring along a 2* cpt marvel tu to clear all the pesky protect tiles. 

- Carol and Coulson. My carol is boosted to 449 so she's really useful. her black deals around 45k dmg enough to one shot most opponents. Coulson generates CD tiles so that carol passive can be trigger and buffing the strike tiles. my strike tiles went all the way up to 7k and i was dealing 10k match dmg. 
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Yes, the "challenge" is great when you have multiple capped 5 stars.  Otherwise, it's stupid, and grossly unfair.  My guess would be the people loving it are the people that can clear it relatively easily.  It basically destroyed placement for what I would consider "most people" in SC 8 and now 9, unless you're already stacked, and frankly, don't need the high placement.  I'm thrilled it doesn't affect progression awards, don't get me wrong.  i just think it should be worth the clear rewards, and not points. 

Play in a CL that matches your roster maybe?
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    It was hard, but fair.  Carol and Steve 3 worked great.  It's pretty cool to do 12k+ damage per match near the end.  I fired starlord green near the end and he wiped 2 high hp guys due to the match damage i had boosted with Carol.  For what it's worth, my Starlord is 3-1-5 level 255.  I have a solid 4 roster, but i managed to green check every 5 essential.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm playing SCL7, so can't add to what those in SCL9 encountered. I decided to treat it like a bonus boss round. I played until my 255 2 cover Star Lord died, banked whatever prizes I could and then ignored it, not wishing to waste a health pack. Will do same with 255 1 cover Spidey next go around. From that point of view, it is fine for some extra rewards. Kudos to those who beat all nodes in higher SCL.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    I played SCL9 and the 5* was a huge challenge for my roster, I had fun playing this PvE, then again I don't care about placement. 

If you used to do well in placement but can't keep up in SCL 9, have you considered that is is not for you? I say make the high SCL9 hard and add a lower limit based on roster for SCL, that way big rosters can't come in and take all the progressions at lower SCL
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards

Today I have 31 4 stars champed (55%). I have all 5 stars rostered (except Daredevil) with barely any covers and ZERO iso invested in them. 

I was a CL8 player when there was roster-based scaling and I had just gotten to the point where I could place top 5/10 regularly when they switched to CL-based scaling.

I thought there was no way I could get top 5 or 10 anymore with the floodgates open to 5* players but surprisingly was able to maintain my status as mostly a top 5 finisher. 

They added this 5* essential node and personally I hate it for the fact that it's an extra grind I have to do for placement and it is time-consuming. However, it does seem to take more top level players away from CL8, making it easier for me to place. It also helps me because the node is worth so many points I can start late (which I always do) and have a better chance at max progression. 

As for the difficulty, it is a challenge for me in CL8 and usually is a health pack suck, but by no means impossible. I have no useable 5's so saying it destroys placement at that level is inaccurate. When Daredevil comes around as the essential I'm kind of screwed though, lol.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I will echo what @Daredevil217 said.
    I play SCL8 and stayed there for this one, knowing my lvl 255 Star Lord and 4*s in the 280-285 range would not be effective against lvl 415 enemies.
    I do not play anywhere near to optimal schedule, starting several hours into the sub, taking 5-8 hours off between clears 4 and 5, then getting to six clears with a couple hours left. That effort has gotten me T50 in each sub of Venom Bomb so far. I even missed getting a few nodes to 6 clears on the 3rd sub.
    i expect some people who struggled with SCL9 will be dropping down to SCL8 for Unstable ISO8, but there may be some who step up for the higher challenge as well. I plan to stay in SCL8 because I feel it has the best rewards for my effort.