240 CP

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
Last night I spent 240 CP to buy two 4-star Carol covers so I could champ her. There were a few reasons I did this, none of which I was convinced were good reasons:

1. Dangit, I wanted a champed Carol
2. My Carol was 5/5/1 and I had previously been forced to sell two of her covers. The 4-star progression reward in Venom Bomb is a yellow and I was looking at potentially selling another Carol cover.
3. She's boosted in Venom Bomb
4. She's top tier
5. She left the 'latest 12' and I was looking at drastically low odds of pulling two green covers anytime soon

I really enjoyed blasting symbiotes last night in the first Venom Bomb sub with my shiny new Carol, but that doesn't mean I didn't have some buyer's remorse. 240 CP for two covers is obviously inefficient when that same amount of CP can be used to buy 9.6 latest legends covers or 12 classics.

As I reflect today, I'm thinking reason #1 is the best justification for spending whatever amount of CP to champ a character, whether it's a 3-star, 4-star, or 5-star. Dangit, I wanted a champed Carol. And I had fun blasting symbiotes. Isn't that what the game is all about? Enjoying our favorite Marvel characters and having fun.

Comments

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You got the character you wanted so I'd say the decision was good. I did the same with Ice Man awhile back. Getting the characters you want, even for a steeper price, is much better than letting RNG decide your roster for you.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I also think your reason 1 is all that counts.
    who knows what that 10LTs would have got you, but chances are some covers go to waste and some are not that useful to you, if at all.

I spent 600cp because I really wanted vulture, didn't regret it a bit.
    I bought covers for red hulk, cyclops, iceman,... even bought the last cover for 3*hulk because I wanted to try hulk bombing.

what else to do with cp when I have no interest in 5*s? 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    IMO the CP buys are almost never the right answer, but to each his own.  It's ultimately up to you to decide if that's the right decision for you or not.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Borstock said:
    This is a game. You like Carol? Playing with her is fun for you? Then you made exactly the right decision.
    you just won this thread. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You made the right decision.  She's that good, and the more champ levels you get on her the better.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    This is a game. You like Carol? Playing with her is fun for you? Then you made exactly the right decision.

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah this is really a no brainer to me.  If we were talking about sacrificing for Venom you'd hear dissent mostly because you'd likely never use him, but at the end of the day, if it's Venom you wanted, the answer should be the same: do what makes you happy!
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,286 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just did the same thing with Iceman.  I had THREE on the vine all in Green but still needed 5 of the other two colors.  Had over 800 CPs and asked myself, would I rather camp Iceman or risk it and possibly get 30 Sandman or Venoms or whatever.

Took the plunge and used the CPs to champ Iceman and then added the three covers.  Don't regret it all.  I earned those CPs and can do whatever I want with them that makes me happy.  :-)
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    At this point, I've bought 3 4* covers to get them to champion-eligible: Rulk, Blade, and Carol. I don't have any regrets about any of them.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had a 5/0/5 Carol. One night I spent 500 cp just drawing classics in an attempt to pull her yellow. I ended up pulling six covers for her, four regular pulls and two bonus ones. None of them were yellow. NONE. Her yellow was in Heroes for Hire but spending 3600 hp would have killed off most of my hp, I wasn't swimming in hp then like I am now, but I bit the bullet and did it. I then spent another 240 to just go ahead and get the other two yellows and champ her since I had another color about to expire. Was she expensive? Hell yeah! Worth every penny, err, cp and hp? Hell yeah! She's saved my butt on countless occasions. I love me some Carol. <3
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Carol is top tier.  It's a good decision.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Have fun with your new shiny and no regrets!!!!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did the same thing a few days ago with my 5/1/5 C4ge. Haven't regretted it a bit. Been having a blast finally being able to run him and HoboFist together, both Champed.
  • Lytes420
    Lytes420 Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    I absolutely agree with everyone who say you did the right thing.i spent 720 cps on my five star dr.strange who was at 2/5/5 when he left the latest tokens.i never regretted it whatsoever.have fun with carol,she's a blast to play.
  • BigMike182
    BigMike182 Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    I use C4rol more than any other character. Even un boosted, she's formidable. In fact, I've won matches against teams with much stronger characters because of her. Good choice! 
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Totally worth it, I’d rather use my CP like that for now. When I bought covers for Carol and Medusa I never regretted it. I’d rather pay for a cover than draw 4 more GD Agent Venoms
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    In the same scenario with Vulture right now. 3 on the vine, and need two more green to finish him. The downside is I'm terrible at hoarding, so I hope I can buy one and cross my fingers that I get the "hey, here's your panic cover from HfH" option made available. (They gave me one of those for a 1/5/5/ Mockingbird with covers on the vine.)