I went all in last night

Beer40
Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
Backstory 1: I always pull Latest Legends within a few days of getting them. I just can't hold them. I've made a few extra CP pulls from the latest legends also. As far as 5* go, I've had extremely good luck with Star Lord. He had surpassed all my other 5* in total amount of covers in just the short time he's been released.

Backstory 2: As I've mentioned since before Thanos was announced, I'm a big fan, and have always wanted him in game. I went something like 0/15 or 0/18 from his release store. It took me forever to get a cover, and finding out how game changing he was made, has only added salt to the wound. 

Now to the story. I opened the game one morning to find a new cover store: Cosmic Legends. I've been hoarding CP (with a few uses here and there) since the 5* Spider-Man release. I was forecasting a Latest Legends of Spider-Man, Thor, and Warbound Hulk. Seemed like the perfect way to break into the 5* game, so I saved. The Cosmic Legends store changed all that. I once again saw my chance to get more Thanos covers. I pulled about 250 and got a Court Death. I stopped. I needed to still keep my hoard for what now appears to be Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Thor. 

Last night I was thinking about what to do. I was very afraid I'd get more Star Lord covers than Thanos (I think I did, too!) and I'd regret my decision to pull. Finally, I just went for it. With 114 CP left, I had a 2/2/2 Thanos, a 3/2/3 Silver Surfer, and had gotten my 13th Star Lord cover.

At that point I decided I needed to stop. I have close to 1,000,000 ISO and covers for 4*s Iron Fist, Gamora, Sandman, Cho Hulk, and Ghost Rider on the vine, and all are at 13 covers waiting to be champed. So I stopped for an hour or two.

And then I pulled my last 114 (well mostly) CP, leading to my 14th 5* Star Lord cover. New decision time, do I enter 5* land with Star Lord? I've read enough here to know that's probably a terrible idea. Well, if there's one thing I'm good at its making terrible decisions. 500,000+ ISO later and I have my first 5* champion at 451: Star Lord! He looks nice sitting on my roster screen next to 289 Coulson, 287 Blade, 286 Ice Man, and 285 Mordo LOL

Also, I got 2 5* Bonus Heroes on all those pulls, which were my first two ever, so I now have a 4/1/0 OML, which makes me very happy! I also have several 4* covers that will likely die, barring a ton of double ISO at Anniversary. Whatever, I'm a 5* player now  B)

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,179 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haha nice story @Beer40.

5tarlord isnt a bad 5* in my opinion. Sure, his Green does rubbish damage for its cost in 5* land, but his Purple can be a bacon-saver, and his Yellow means he pairs well with Charged tile users like Mordo and Thorrina. Plus you can team with up with R4G to get the latter's strike tile boost.

Btw when I saw your thread title I immediately thought of procreation, but nevermind that.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    I chased Thanos a bit too.  Mine is already at 5/4/3 so cover swap and a 1 in 3 chance to finish him out on a 5* was appealing.  I pulled 17 initially.  I got 2 Star-Lords as my only 5*s.  I also got 2 or 3 more 4*s to 13 and got 2 14s on my vine (R&G & Carnage).  The next day I saw Lockjaw cycled in (I only have him 2 covers :() and I had a hot streak on BH so I decided to pull one more seeing if my luck continued.  I pulled a 14th hulk.

So now I have 3 on the vine R&G, Carnage, & Hulk and will likely not be able to save all 3 covers :(.

I regret that 18th pull but other than that I'm not too disappointed with what I got, sucks I didn't get Thanos.  I'm too far backed into a corner to pull any more currently.  Oh well, he'll be my 5* BH till he's at 13 which was my original plan.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congrats @beer40. I think Starlord has gotten some undue flax, as most new characters do upon release. I've faced champ SL5 in Versus, he can make a mess of things. His green might not be the best AoE, but Panther doesn't dodge and stun himself on AoE damage, so that gives you a small edge against those Panthos teams you'll see now. Have fun and good luck with the rest of your 5s!!!
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I chased Thanos too.  I won.  I have 12 covers.  I blew the majority of my 1200 CP at the time and built up my 4*s as well.  Turned out to be a great decision.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks, after reading so many success stories, I decided to do the same
  • Zirtak
    Zirtak Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I have spend 375 CP on 15 covers and none of them were 5*, let alone Thanos. According to the chances (~1:7) I should have gotten two 5*s... Though luck...? 
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Sorry to hear your bad luck, but you're not alone.  My longest streak was 29... others have been nearer 50.  It's a testament to how bad RNG end-game is.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been on multiple 0/40+ streaks, at least 3 that I remember.

0/15 is nothing.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    that's what she said!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Star lord isn't quite trash.  But he is not top tier.  He has nice match damage, good health, and some utilty with a self-accel and ap/tile theft.  But his aoe is weak for the cost, his yellow is too expensive for what it does, and his purple is only a decent support power. 

His poor reputation is at least in part because he released at the end ofa  string of very good 5* releases (strange, thanos, BP, HE) and he is not on the same class, but not a doc oc.

Edit: Forgot to say grats to you beer.  Enjoy life in 5* land!
  • Beer40
    Vhailorx said:
    Star lord isn't quite trash.  But he is not top tier.  He has nice match damage, good health, and some utilty with a self-accel and ap/tile theft.  But his aoe is weak for the cost, his yellow is too expensive for what it does, and his purple is only a decent support power. 

His poor reputation is at least in part because he released at the end ofa  string of very good 5* releases (strange, thanos, BP, HE) and he is not on the same class, but not a doc oc.
    I don't know much about leveled up 5* so you all may have a good laugh at this, but I think I nearly 1 shot a boosted Hulkbuster earlier today in PVP with Star Lords yellow. That yellow is no joke if it cascades. Pretty unreliable to rely on random cascades, I guess, but that was awesome!
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Do you have 4*Grocket? 5*SL pairs nice with them. 5*SL has some of the highest match dmg in game and with 4*Grocket, you instantly get extra dmg from the strikes at the get go.
  • Beer40
    BigBZ32 said:
    Do you have 4*Grocket? 5*SL pairs nice with them. 5*SL has some of the highest match dmg in game and with 4*Grocket, you instantly get extra dmg from the strikes at the get go.
    I have him but he's still sitting at level 70 with a 4/5/2 build. I did use him that way with Star-Lord and boosted Ice Man in SCL 7 a little bit and flew thru those matches. If RNG would kindly stop giving me Grocket yellows, he'd be champed already lol

Speaking of that, RNG loves to play with me. I'll usually champ someone after they've been the "next big thing". By the time I got Peggy covered, it was Carol that was it. Then I get Carol covered and everyone is using Medusa. Then I get Medusa covered and everyone is using Grocket. In between these I'm pulling a lot of the likes of Mordo, RiRi, and Sandman LOL
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    BigBZ32 said:
    I have him but he's still sitting at level 70 with a 4/5/2 build. I did use him that way with Star-Lord and boosted Ice Man in SCL 7 a little bit and flew thru those matches. If RNG would kindly stop giving me Grocket yellows, he'd be champed already lol

Speaking of that, RNG loves to play with me. I'll usually champ someone after they've been the "next big thing". By the time I got Peggy covered, it was Carol that was it. Then I get Carol covered and everyone is using Medusa. Then I get Medusa covered and everyone is using Grocket. In between these I'm pulling a lot of the likes of Mordo, RiRi, and Sandman LOL
    Dont complain about Riri covers. She's a beast now! 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 said:
    BigBZ32 said:

Dont complain about Riri covers. She's a beast now! 
    True, I should have clarified that a lot of my Mordo/RiRi covers came pre-buff lol
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    congrats!  i did a similar thing with SS, but I stopped pulling after I got his 13th cover  :smile:

As you may have figured out by now, Star Lord yellow doesn't work very well if the enemy's strongest color is green.  He just changes green basics to green charges.  Compare to turning black basic tiles to green charged tiles and getting a bunch of cascades!  So I'd recommend skipping teams with green as strongest color.  
  • J0nnythejig
    J0nnythejig Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    5tar Lord was my first 5⭐️ too as it goes,  I've been happy with him,  especially as the bonus cover I got off his 13th was my last Phoenix cover.....I love using his purple to reclaim the enemy strikes that Phoenix puts down after too many Phoenix Flames....turns a board really nasty.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    BigBZ32 said:

Putting Riri next to Sandman is just asking her to uppercut you into space. I run Riri with Blade and Medusa in shield sim. Nice passive damage while I collect red for Blade and Riri or blue for Riri to make more reds if the board needs them. Green for defense or to heal Blade and purple if I need to steal tiles or just want to shake it up, especially to try and get some reds to the middle for her blue power. Fun team.

Also, even with only 11 covers your R4G is very useful at just 4/5/2. His yellow is the best, blue isn't too bad and green is kinda useless to me since Groot tends to hurt me more than help.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    BigBZ32 said:

It's your ISO and you can play the game you want to play, but I'd recommend leveling them as high as you can in the meantime. You've got the covers where it counts, and those strikes will take a big jump with some levels, especially if paired with another Guardian.
  • Beer40
    DarthDeVo said:
    Beer40 said:
    BigBZ32 said:

It's your ISO and you can play the game you want to play, but I'd recommend leveling them as high as you can in the meantime. You've got the covers where it counts, and those strikes will take a big jump with some levels, especially if paired with another Guardian.
    I've seen this advice quite a bit, and am definitely going to go that route soon. I am working on Gamora currently though because she's at 13 covers with one on the vine.