Death of the softcappers

2»

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:
    For those who don't want to champ their 5* because of their fear of PVP opponents, i think it is a valid concern.
    For me again, it has nothing to do with fear, it's to do with boredom. You only have to look at at aesthetocyst's post on how his 5*s look after two years and he's more hardcore at this than I will ever be. Why would I want to totally ruin variation in the game by doing it, nothing to do with fear. When I champed my first two 4*s that was all I used for a couple of months. But then they come fast and furious, they don't with the 5* game.

If I champed Ock DD and Spidey right now with a hoard, I'd be playing those 3 for 7+ months. No thanks. I have zero problem with 5* RNG or treating them like the end game target but I'm not about to ruin my fun how I play the game because people think it's soft capping. I have longevity in the game because I'm having fun, 3x5* and a 7 month plus barrier would likely have me finding other ways to waste my time.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    After reading the thread, the title should probably read "Death TO ALL Softcappers"
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot said:
    atomzed said:
    For those who don't want to champ their 5* because of their fear of PVP opponents, i think it is a valid concern.
    For me again, it has nothing to do with fear, it's to do with boredom. You only have to look at at aesthetocyst's post on how his 5*s look after two years and he's more hardcore at this than I will ever be. Why would I want to totally ruin variation in the game by doing it, nothing to do with fear. When I champed my first two 4*s that was all I used for a couple of months. But then they come fast and furious, they don't with the 5* game.

If I champed Ock DD and Spidey right now with a hoard, I'd be playing those 3 for 7+ months. No thanks. I have zero problem with 5* RNG or treating them like the end game target but I'm not about to ruin my fun how I play the game because people think it's soft capping. I have longevity in the game because I'm having fun, 3x5* and a 7 month plus barrier would likely have me finding other ways to waste my time.
    Valid points which i respect it. As long as you are having fun. 
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    atomzed said:
    One of the problem I see was the existence of the softcappers.
    This thread confuses me a little. Why was/is the existence of soft-capping a problem? As far as I'm concerned, the practice was a necessary one due to the games (previous) inability to manage difficulty for us in PvE.
    Because some higher roster players used to get butthurt over softcappers being able to beat them in PvE rankings. Claiming softcappers had a easier time, because their scaling was lower. But the top rankings would always be a mixture of high rosters and lower rosters. Optimal play was and still is the biggest key to a high ranking, but some people wouldn't hear it. How dare some 2* roster beat out their maxed 4*s!

To be honest, this hasn't been a huge problem in some time. The devs have done a lot to fix the scaling problems for the majority of players. 5* rosters would eventually get messed up by the system, but now their needs have been addressed too. At least as far as PvE goes. Not to mention things like championing, LTs, and SCL really helped incentivize softcappers to spend their hoards.

The topic of softcapping has been a good point of irony and schadenfreude on this forums though. Watching people who would rant about softcappers exploiting scaling lose their minds over the devs trying to put a stop to cupcakes was great. And while softcapping doesn't get mentioned too much these days, you can find a few people who hate softcapping, but have no problem dropping down in SCL for a better placement or easier time.