When do you "retreat"?

Comments

• Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Depends on who I'm facing. In most situations I won't retreat unless I know for a fact I'm going to lose next round anyway (IE AI has the AP to fire off a power that tells me FU). I'll also retreat if my team no longer has a win con (IE I'm running Carol/Medusa/Wasp and Wasp is the last one standing) or if my opponents are running a team that hits critical mass and I'm in a death spiral (Enemy team with Blade hit a big red cascade and I don't have a way of shutting him down).
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    It's rare that I quit a match but when I do it's down to the RNG being completely in the AI favour for the first few turns. I would explain but people who play this game regularly already have experienced RNG giving you a sole match three move which then gives the AI a full two-minute turn of cascades and criticals which gives them every colour needed to wreck your team.

Usually, when I go back in with the same team I have RNG in my favour and the AI has no opportunity to retreat!!!!! I meant... I usually have better luck when I retry.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    You don't. You take the loss like a man! 

Then turn off the game and cry in the corner :(
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll admit that it's pretty rare that I'll retreat - the possibility of a last minute upset is always appealing to me, even when the deck is stacked against me. I think the only times I've done it have been when I've been faced with an enemy with un-matchable massive protect tiles (Thing/Falcon/? teams) due to bad luck or sub-optimal play on my point. When you finally get enough AP to launch an AOE nuke, and it does one damage to each enemy - it's time to retreat, unless you have one heck of an ace up your sleeve. (I have certainly wished for a Loki team-up more than once.) 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    if defeat is inevitable and i'm climbing in pvp.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    For me it's very simple.

Whenever the AI is about to fire any power that does more damage than I will lose by retreating. I think you lose 10% health for a retreat so depending on which character(s) are about to be hit and for how much and what my 10% health cost is I make my decision.

One caveat here. Since I use Medusa/4Grocket a lot and enter battles with damage already on my characters I can get burst heals from my own strike/attack tiles so when I mean damage I mean damage that exceeds the burst heal and cuts into real health. On turn 1 for example I can pick up 1000+ burst health with 1 strike tile so that buys me several turns of match damage that does nothing to my characters.

It might seem like I retreat a lot but these days with some of the passives on the 4* you can rip through matches in less than 10 turns so that the AI hardly ever fires any damaging powers much less ones that will do more than 10% of my health

KGB

• byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    When I lost my primary character.  Sometimes it's by luck, most of the time it's me trying to stretch their HP a bit more.

If the opponent is close to a situation where my entire team is about to massive damage within 2-3 turns.  I eat the loss and lose some HP, as opposed to losing a lot more when the animation or the round starts.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    After being hit by a lousy board for the twelvth time in a row I retreated, closed MPQ, turned off the PC and went out to smell the autumn roses :)
  • PFellah
    PFellah Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I feel like a schmuck, I didn't know you could. Never noticed the button.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    I very rarely retreat - only if defeat is virtually guaranteed but the characters might retain some health if I back out. Then I played a PvP with the wins-based rewards. Had to retreat from a whole series of fights to drop my score low enough so that I could bring up some more beatable opponents. Seemed like a pretty stupid side-effect of the new system.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Usually only if I lose my strongest team member or IM40 if I'm depending on his battery.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    When I'm mid-match and someone in my battlechat calls out someone I really want to hit.
  • GigerHR
    GigerHR Posts: 54 Match Maker
    When I'm doing my final grind PVE clears and I realize I accidentally brought 3* Thanos instead of 5* Thanos to the first hard node - retreating and restarting with the correct team is almost always faster than slogging it out with mini-Thanos. 
  • Sabaton74
    Sabaton74 Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2019
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I retreat all the time. Multiple times per PVP event. Sometimes your score just gets too high, you know?
    Call that:
    Retreat to victory 

At least till the 4* in my roster (1) can compete w the 5* champs in their roster (vets)...
  • Xair
    Xair Posts: 77 Match Maker
    in chess the strongest piece is the one that can move in all directions. 
    retreat is just a move in another direction.
    so i retreat when it is the correct move.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I retreat until Thor is just below 50%, than I can resume my climb/hop.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I retreat when it's clear that Sabertooth can't match enough of Grocket's strike tiles before Kitty boosts them enough to wreck Okoye's face.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought the only purpose of retreating was to damage Thor.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think GladiaThor actually existed when this thread was made...
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    I'm retreating the moment I'm annoyed at the game.
    sometimes im out 30 seconds into the match, sometimes I play 30 matches.
    don't care how many points I lose, I won't wait 2 minutes until it's my turn again