When do you "retreat"?

Tiger_Wong
Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,050 Chairperson of the Boards
- if the match starts and the AI gets 2 or more straight 5 match cascades in the first 3 turns. 
- when I'm facing a Carol/Medusa team, and Carol fires photon barrage and has 5 yellow.
- facing a wasp team and the AI somehow gets 6 blue AP and I have no quick way to kill her. 

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I have one character left with little life while the enemy team is stretching.

Basically a case of 4* Carol, Medusa, Random tile spamming character with a godlike cascade.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I probably should do it more often, but I almost never retreat.  I only remember doing it once in the last couple months when I got into a healing battle with a Carol/Medusa/Cage team, and the board was full of huge protect tiles.
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Whenever I'm fighting goons and forget to bring Strang3. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I rarely do, but it mostly happens when I'm either one turn away from certain death or after the AI has started a match with a ridiculous cascade that I know will lead to multiple stuns. For example, a first turn for an AI with Iceman that gets them 15 blue or something. I'm a ghost. 
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Thanos green about to fire usually
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    Early insane cascades by the enemy.  Especially if dealing with those stupid Ultron Sentries who get to move AND destroy tiles and then immediately are able to do Core Overload.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    I retreat all the time. Multiple times per PVP event. Sometimes your score just gets too high, you know?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Almost never, which is probably dumb on my part. I've recently started retreating if I get a string of forced matches on colors I can't use while the enemy is racking up tons of AP, but for most of my MPQ "career" I've only retreated when defeat was basically guaranteed i.e. 2 characters down with a fat nuke coming next turn.
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker

1) selected an incorrect team when PVE racing. Assuming I have the healthpacks, I'll retreat and re-start with the faster/ optimal PVE team

2) if a fat unavoidable AOE is incoming, often retreating will save you health versus fighting on

• animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    It's a numbers game. For me, there are only 2 reasons to retreat:

1) I am about to take a whole bunch of damage, but if I retreat the damage will be minimal enough that I don't have to use healthpacks.
    2) I'm dead, limping along on one character, facing a team with way more health than I have, I have no hope of being able to end them before I'm done, and it will take more than 2 moves to finish me off. At that point, all I'm saving is time to be able to move on to the next match/re-run.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Back in the day when retreating helped reduce your MMR (see: tanking) I retreated 20 times a day, on average.

Now? Never retreat. Never back down. I'll fight until all three of my characters have gasped their last. Seeing the loss screen where the game suggests that I level my characters more or try recruiting some more characters is utterly humiliating and insulting.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Never retreat if you have a Whale TU ...
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll retreat if
    - It's obvious I'm going to lose - usually a choice made after I've lost my first character.  If there's a 5* with a lot of health still standing on the other team, it's time to cut bait and move on.
    - I'm hopping and an unfortunate cascade has made the match take long enough that I'm risking hits from other players.  Better to eat the loss and come back later with a fresh queue than risk 100 points worth of defeat.
    - I forget to switch out my DDQ teams and wind up having 1*s on the 2* nodes.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards

I very rarely retreat.  Usually if I do it's because I've gone into a fight with 2 support characters and a primary damage dealer and the damage dealer dies first.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I'll retreat if I don't think I can win and my health is still viable (won't need a pack) on one or more chars.  I'm doing it more in 5-land where I'm unbalanced and relying so heavily on one character.  Once they go, it's much harder to win.  So if they die and my other two are healthy, I may cycle out and try a diff match, expending one health pack instead of three.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the enemy team is getting everything in their favor like a huge cascade on almost every move and repeatedly firing off powers then I'm out. Or if I forget to bring the best team for a pve node then I'll retreat. What sucks is when you stay too long in a fight hoping you can turn it back in your favor to pull out the victory only to see the enemy get a lucky cascade and you're like "Well, I'm dead. Retreat retreat retreat!!!!" but the game says "Haha. Nope."

Been playing this game for a year now and still waiting for the enemy to retreat.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    shardwick said:

Been playing this game for a year now and still waiting for the enemy to retreat.
    Interesting concept.  It would be nice when I show up with a team of 5*s against level 35 goons they just throw their hands up and say, "We all know how this is going to end. Here's your 250 ISO."  Then you can move on to the next one.
    If your lowest level team member is 200+ levels about their highest, it should be an auto win, but you take a small amount of damage.
  • drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    When my dinner is ready.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would do certain conditions like the enemy team is under 25% health and so many turns have been played in the match. It could also be limited to a certain amount of retreats per day by the enemy team.