Power Gem Season Updates (9/18/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

In the Power Gem Season, Lockjaw (Royal Bulldog) and Elektra (Assassin) will be entering packs. Lockjaw will be entering Latest status and Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) will be transitioning to Vintage status.

In addition, we will be running a truncated Versus season for the Power Gem season. The Power season will start on September 21st and conclude on October 2nd at 3:00am EDT. The season will have four Versus Tournaments instead of the usual ten.

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Any reworks?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Truncated season makes me think they're going to announce permanent win based PvP at the anniversary. 
  • broll
    Options
    bluewolf said:

And I do not believe that they are 100% committed to win based PVP.  I would not assume this yet, not that it is imminent.  They will want to examine the data first from this test.
    That sounds overly optimistic. I thought they were going to do more tests before implementing SCL based scaling. If you don't count the redo test they did 2 with launch immediately following the second. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We have had multiple win-based PvP tests. I think we definitely know which way the wind is blowing at this point. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hoping for a hybrid test or two before they commit to a final pvp format but we probably won't get it.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Terrible thing is that I don´t like "normal" PVP. But this new PVP is even worse. :(
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nah, we had truncated seasons the last two years beforehand, that's not a massive surprise. Not saying this isn't a permanent change to progression additionally, but it isn't a surprise at all this is shorter.
  • Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The winners at pvp will hate the new system the losers will love it. Because their original playstyle is no longer an issue.

//Removed Insult - Brigby
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Gari said:
    The winners at pvp will hate the new system the losers will love it. Because their original playstyle is no longer an issue. 

//Removed Insult -Brigby
    Interesting. I'd think that their original playstyle would still be an issue since you actually have to win matches to get anything useful out of it. Enough in a short enough period of time that you can't just keep tossing healthpacks and new characters at it unless you're playing the game like it's your job and you have money/hp to burn on healthpacks.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    We have had multiple win-based PvP tests. I think we definitely know which way the wind is blowing at this point. 
    Multiple? This is only the second run of tests they've done.
  • broll
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Multiple? This is only the second run of tests they've done.
    Which is only one more than the SCL based scaling tests they did.  The extra one was really a re-do of the first since there was an actual bug.  Were it not for they would have tested the same thing in two scenarios and deployed it.  

These test seem to be less about seeing if the players like it and more about confirm there are no coding bugs before they make it live.  The more I ponder on it the more likely it seems we're getting this as is soon.  While I like it better than current PvP I hope I'm wrong because there is certainly significant room for improvement.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phillipes said:
    Terrible thing is that I don´t like "normal" PVP. But this new PVP is even worse. :(
    Is it? I've already racked up 31 wins, just playing every now and again inbetween PVE clears. This is miles better than having to worry about points all the time. 
    So you obviously don't care about the placement CP.  For those of us that do care, this version of PvP is terrible.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Carol getting replaced by Lockjaw is the worst part of this news, IMO.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Orion said:
    Phillipes said:
    Is it? I've already racked up 31 wins, just playing every now and again inbetween PVE clears. This is miles better than having to worry about points all the time. 
    So you obviously don't care about the placement CP.  For those of us that do care, this version of PvP is terrible.
    Plenty of CP to be earned in the progression rewards and elsewhere. Its really not that big of a deal. You come away with more rewards this way than previously. 
    The CP taken out of progression wasn't added else where so it is a big deal. Over the course of a season that adds up to a lot. This new method takes the rarest commodity in the game and makes it rarer.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Qubort said:
    Orion said:
    Phillipes said:
    Plenty of CP to be earned in the progression rewards and elsewhere. Its really not that big of a deal. You come away with more rewards this way than previously. 
    The CP taken out of progression wasn't added else where so it is a big deal. Over the course of a season that adds up to a lot. This new method takes the rarest commodity in the game and makes it rarer.
    Wait, I thought ISO was the rarest commodity?