Tezz 2 Deck Help

Options
Sooo in the end i did buy B/B Tezz....and have to say i am a bit disappointed till now. The gideon of trials i recently bought is doing much more work and hes 20 levels lower...but anyways im sure its because i failed to make a good Tezz deck. I dont have a lot of Kaladesh cards tbh so doing an overload energize mechanic is out of my league. Problem is im also low on HOD cards. I cant seem to find a good deck synergy with the cards i have. Would be quite long to post all the cards that i have available for him, so im gonna ask for some help from you guys. Please dont post me decks with tons of mythics and masterworks (got no masterworks), i dont have the cards for it. Thank you people!

Comments

• hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    could try blightcaster.
    I use (trial + cartouche) of ambition.

HH
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Give us an idea. Post your rares/mythics in black and blue. 
  • Zarcos
    Zarcos Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Dude, go cycling. My tezz is lvl 49 and I can beat Nicol Bolas in the RotGP event. Drake Haven combined with Cartouche of ambitions means you fully healing every hit. 
  • Furordraco
    Furordraco Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dont have Drake Haven thats the problem :D  @hawkyh1 which one is trial? @Mainloop25 well i have only 2 mythics in black which are Geralf's Masterpiece and Erebos Titan. As for blue i have the new Sphynx, Exert Influence. I have lots of rares from zendikar and innistrad but very poor on recent cards...Good cards are lilianas defeat, lay claim, 10 mana dude that bounces a card and it costs 6 more, sphinx that with cycling gives -4 attack and other not worth mentioning. If you can suggest some good cards to have ill check if i have them
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    May I suggest a 1 rare, 1 uncommon cycling deck:

Supports: 2
    New Perspectives (rare)
    Faith of the devoted (uncommon)

Spells: 5
    Desert of the Glorified (common)
    Without Weakness (common)
    Hieroglyphic Illumination (common)
    Floodwaters (common)
    Unburden (common)

Creatures: 3
    Vizier of Tumbling Sands (common)
    Lurching Rotbeast (common)
    Moaning Wall (common)

It really doesn't matter what the rest of the deck is after those two supports are in the deck. Just ensure the cards are all cycling except Perspectives and Faith and you'll be fine.

• Furordraco
    Options
    thanks man as soon as i get both cards ill try your deck :smile:
  • hawkyh1
    Options
    I use

trial of ambition
    cartouche of ambition

HH
  • HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lethal Sting, Unsummon, and Winds of Rebuke are all extremely good tempo cards at common. These plus any reasonably costed threats and some card draw should be a good start. Also black Cartouche, as others have noted, even if you don't have black Trial.

Using only commons and uncommons, try something like:

Unsummon 
    Winds of Rebuke
    Lethal Sting

Harbinger of Tides (rare, but you said you have it)
    3 more creatures. Consider card drawers such as Jhessian Thief / Sigiled Starfish / Eternal of Harsh Truths / Tower Geist. Fretwork Colony gets big for the cost. Good lifelinkers like Baleful Ammit. Stir the Sands is efficient and flexible. Miasmic Mummy makes sure your bounce works if they have a full hand and can set up tricks with embalm and other graveyard mechanics if you've got anything like that.

Cartouche of Ambition
    Trial of Ambition, but could be other removal.

1 support that helps your mana, or maybe the black desert.

That's 10. Useful cyclers like Hieroglyphic Illumination or Unburden are fine filler if need be. Swap in whatever good rares or mythics seem to fit.

The idea is to prevent your opponent from ever establishing or keeping a good board position while keeping your life total ahead and not running low on cards. The AI will often spend 8+ mana and its whole turn casting a card that you answer for 3-4 mana. The cumulative effect of that over a few turns puts the AI pretty far behind. Even when it cascades out its entire hand, if you can answer a couple threats cheaply, you can get back in the game.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For B/B Tezz I keep on forgetting that there is any energize effect. I instead focus on making the play area a minefield with the second then third ability. Put in a bunch of cheap supports that you wouldn't mind getting destroyed and watch the AI kill itself, or the game hang on a Cascade, I have had both happen.
  • Furordraco
    edited September 2017
    Options
    so nothing guys. Ive had tezz for 3 weeks now, he is at 54. Im so very disappointed. Useless abilities and almost no synergy without drake haven and really specific cards. The second ability is almost always countered as its a just a creature that dies. Third ability never worth to activate, and the first one doesnt resolve any dire situation unlike many other pws first abilities. Cant seem to win without sweating all my clothes every game. Could be me not playing well but i never had this problem with any PW. Wasted my gems in my opinion
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Do you have Sphix's Tutelage? My Tezz2 deck is a stall deck focusing on the abilities 2 and 3 combo to do damage with that and some bounce, draw and destruction.
  • Furordraco
    Options
    Nope don't have it
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    You might just be missing a lot of key cards. Tezz2 also took a big hit with the removal of SOI from standard. I don't use him nearly as much anymore. 
  • Furordraco
    Options
    @Mainloop25 i wish you told me before i bought it that you rarely use him anymore...since its basically you @hawkyh1 and @TheDragonHermit who convinced me :D
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Well that's not true, I just don't use him as much as when you had access to all the stupid broken cards in events. Plus my collection is much bigger than yours. 
  • hawkyh1
    edited September 2017
    Options
    try blightcaster + 2nd ability + something with berserker?
    it's great for neutralizing nuisance things like thopter spy
    network.
    admittedly I don't use as much as I used to due to the
    no support destruction in standard.(I've had a good run
    recently so have more planeswalkers to choose from)

maybe use a gem convertor for his secondary colour, eg
    irrigated farmland?

HH
  • TIMEWARP
    TIMEWARP Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options

I have the "classic" cycling deck.
    Rares: Drake Haven, New Perspectives
    Optional: Faith of the Devoted
    The rest: any card with cycling, preferably with 'cycling 3' or less.

Alternatively, try the tried and true formula of "removal and a few creatures".
    Blue and Black have decent removal options at common:
    - Winds of Rebuke
    - Final Reward
    - Remove soul
    - Tidy Conclusion
    - Claustrophobia

Uncommon adds a wealth of other great options like Unlicensed Disintegration

My general tip: Don't play to win, play to not lose.

• ElvaanStride
    ElvaanStride Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    TIMEWARP said:

My general tip: Don't play to win, play to not lose.

I love this, it explains exactly how I play Blue. Kill strong creatures and keep returning the weak ones while chipping away with like 2 creatures.

You clog their hand up with junk and Disable everything that manages to stay on the board while you just cherry-pick 'em to death.
  • Furordraco
    Options
    Got Liliana 2 in the end. Couldnt do anything good with tezz
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm sorry to see that since you posted this that you haven't received any good black or blue cards to help with your Tezzeret 2 deck.

May I suggest a common/uncommon deck to hopefully help you with your playing of him?

Creatures: 4
    Labyrinth Guardian
    Ambitious Aetherborn
    Wind-Kin Raiders
    Maulfist Squad

Spells: 4
    Lethal Sting
    Unsummon
    Final Reward
    Liliana's Defeat or Unlicensed Disintegration

Support: 2
    Manalith
    Sunset Pyramid

Clearly this is a tiny creature deck, but with the spells used you shouldn't have to worry about your opponents creatures. I only suggested those two supports because of the draw and mana gain, but you shouldn't need them. I know you're going to be playing against decks that are Olivia/Pig heavy in the Training Ground, but this should give you a chance to use Tezzeret's first ability multiple times.