How Old Are You?

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm just curious. I'm probably much older than most of y'all, but who knows. I have been playing video games all my life... even as an adult, I never "grew out of it".

Don't respond with your age, just add it to the poll, if you so choose.

How Old Are You? 331 votes

< 10
0% 2 votes
10 - 15
0% 0 votes
16 - 20
0% 1 vote
21 - 25
2% 7 votes
26 - 30
7% 24 votes
31 - 35
24% 80 votes
36 - 40
32% 106 votes
41 - 45
15% 51 votes
46 - 50
10% 35 votes
> 50
7% 25 votes

Comments

• farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    It'll be interesting to see the results. I always assume that most people that play this game are my age but I'm sure that's way off. There are a lot of people in my alliance that have kids, spouses and families so it's nice to connect with people at that level and help each other find balance between personal life and the MPQ life. It also makes our group pretty accommodating to what each other has going on personally that may keep us from fulfilling our alliance obligations.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm 33, and same as OP I've been playing video games, basically, my entire life. Got an Atari and a NES when I was 5 years old and never looked back. Currently play MPQ as my only mobile game and I have a PS4 with a fair amount of titles- favorites, Dying Light, Grand Theft Auto V, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (I love zombie mode), and MLB 17 The Show.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bear in mind the results are probably skewed because of the venue.  Not everyone who plays visits the forums.  I'm not sure if there's a particular demographic that would lean towards forum participation, though.  It could be a perfectly representative cross-section for all I know.
  • drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I'm 100 years old. Jk  >:)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dang it, I'm in a new catagory now since I just turned 46.  No, I didn't play Pong, but my friend did have an Atari 2600.  Been playing games ever since.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    The average age in threads like these is always between 30-40 years. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone here's under 10?!?
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    About as old as Tony Stark.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Old enough to date yo momma...
  • Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Can all you whipper-snappers get off my lawn
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    whoa, I thought you guys are much younger, lol
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    38.. And i have a 16 year old son already... 
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,583 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:
    Dang it, I'm in a new catagory now since I just turned 46.  No, I didn't play Pong, but my friend did have an Atari 2600.  Been playing games ever since.

A friend of mine once noted that there are two sub-classes of Generation X - "Atari" and "Nintendo." :)

I had a 2600 when I was a kid.  Those rubber covers on the joysticks came off if you looked at them funny, but they still worked with the bare plastic...

• Eagledave
    Eagledave Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    42 and my first computer was an Amstrad 464 green screen version with cassette tape games!

Oh the deprivation!

I still feel a bit resentful that I supported Alan Sugar's wealth in some small way.

PS4 is a little better as an entertainment system
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    GrimSkald said:
    Orion said:

A friend of mine once noted that there are two sub-classes of Generation X - "Atari" and "Nintendo." :)

I had a 2600 when I was a kid.  Those rubber covers on the joysticks came off if you looked at them funny, but they still worked with the bare plastic...

And then there's the "Commodore 64" generation. :wink:

My dad refused to let us play video games until we learned how to write one. Sadly, he was not fooled by the math hangman game I got out of 3-2-1 Contact.

However, I don't live with him any more and he can control me any more. Neener neener neener! :smirk:

ETA: He also wasn't available to prevent me from hitting the grocery store arcade games next to school. I killed at Ms PacMan. And Tetris. I am the Tetris QUEEN.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Milk Jugz said:
    I'm 33, and same as OP I've been playing video games, basically, my entire life. Got an Atari and a NES when I was 5 years old and never looked back. Currently play MPQ as my only mobile game and I have a PS4 with a fair amount of titles- favorites, Dying Light, Grand Theft Auto V, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (I love zombie mode), and MLB 17 The Show.
    The Show is the single greatest video game ever, hands down! Unfortunately for me, I switched to Xbox 1 for the first time ever (I owned PS 1-3) because it was so much cheaper at the time I was buying. It's ok, but without even a solid baseball title, it can't compare to the PlayStation.

Thankfully my son will be a good age for getting "his own" console right about the time PS5 or 6 comes out. I'm certain Santa or Daddy will have one waiting for him  :D
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    As long as we're all sharing our first computer stories...

As a very small kid my first computer was a Tandy TRS80 from Radio Shack. It had the cartridge slot on the side (of the keyboard, which was the computer) for games and software. It had 4k RAM (yes, 4 whole kilobytes). A couple of years later I got a Commodore 64 and my mind was blown away by its power. My friends were shooting at blocks vaguely shaped like tanks on their Atari 2600s and amazed at the sophistication of the games I was playing like Bard's Tale and Sid Meier's Pirates!. My first Marvel Comics game was on the Commodore, which was a weird text-adventure game called Questprobe.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,583 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:
    Orion said:

And then there's the "Commodore 64" generation. :wink:

My dad refused to let us play video games until we learned how to write one. Sadly, he was not fooled by the math hangman game I got out of 3-2-1 Contact.

However, I don't live with him any more and he can control me any more. Neener neener neener! :smirk:

ETA: He also wasn't available to prevent me from hitting the grocery store arcade games next to school. I killed at Ms PacMan. And Tetris. I am the Tetris QUEEN.

A friend of mine had a C64.  We started out with a Sinclair ZX81 (which was reissued as the "Timex/Sinclair 1000,") a tiny little thing with a membrane keyboard and 1 (I tinykitty you not,) K.  We upgraded ours to 16 because you could run out of memory typing a screen of text.

Eventually we upgraded to an Apple IIe and that was my gaming platform for a very long time.

Regarding Tetris, a woman I dated in College was expert at the IBM compatible version (I think this was before Windows became the default OS, and we were still largely playing in DOS.)  It was just the basic games with levels, and it sped up each level.  Most of us, including me, died very quickly on the last level (the one with the picture of fighter jets.)  She had to trick the computer into going faster, otherwise it wasn't a challenge. :)

• MrCroaker64
    MrCroaker64 Posts: 70 Match Maker

My first computer was also the TRS/80, upgraded to the C64 (w/ cassette drive) and then finally got the IBM XT. God, when I got that computer I was so excited. It had an entire 10 Megabytes storage (Hard Drive). I don't remember how many thousands I paid for that computer, but now I can go buy a bloody calculator from the $1 store and it has more memory than that computers entire storage array (OK, might be a little bit of an exaggeration).But, no complaints. At the time it was a monster. Just fun to think back and see how much things have changed.

Croaker.

• Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Beer40 said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    The Show is the single greatest video game ever, hands down! Unfortunately for me, I switched to Xbox 1 for the first time ever (I owned PS 1-3) because it was so much cheaper at the time I was buying. It's ok, but without even a solid baseball title, it can't compare to the PlayStation.

Thankfully my son will be a good age for getting "his own" console right about the time PS5 or 6 comes out. I'm certain Santa or Daddy will have one waiting for him  :D
    Though I listed that one last. It is my favorite title, I play quite a bit online against my brother-in-law. We've had every other year from 07-17. The Diamond Dynasty mode is one of my favorite game modes on any title. Get a PS4, I'd love to play you in a game!! My brother-in-law has a REALLY bad record against me, not sure why he keeps trying.......