Chill with the Arlin Bashing

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
Seriously guys, she's not that bad.  Especially with the new Afflict mechanic.  Sure, its no Koth, but a green red with an easily spammable first ability and decent mana gains is not so awful.

I do agree that the third should transform even if there are no werewolves out, but other than that, no need for anything drastic.  There are other walkers that need attention much more than Arlin.

Comments

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not bashing her she's one of my favorites. It's just that she's the only PW with only one ability. And her other hit points and mana are just meh.
  • Furordraco
    Furordraco Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I guess many PW s will need to be changed at some point...if the set rotates and Kaladesh leaves the block...PW s like B/B Tezzeret will be kinda useless. Same fate that happened to Arlinn and Gideon ally of Zendikar
  • Gilesclone
    Options
    I suspect they'll never change any of them, they make money selling new ones.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    the thing I don't like is arlinn is losing her character
    under the current standard requirement. she can't
    flip and 2/3 of her default side abilities can't be used.
    she's a werewolf that doesn't feel like one.

HH
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ..PW s like B/U Tezzeret will be kinda useless. 
    Comments like these are why no one should take these obsolescence rants seriously.  Second Tezzeret as the only Blue/Black walker with abilities that are usable and relevant anywhere being called locked to KLD is just ridiculous.  Because why?  His first ability makes a couple energize gems as a secondary effect?
  • Furordraco
    Options
    @James13 No. Also because his other abilities deal with fabricate mechanic and overload. All of which are mostly part of kaladesh block
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm pretty sure tez 2 will be used even if you remove overload and energise from his abilities.

And overload works outside the expansion. 
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    I'm pretty sure tez 2 will be used even if you remove overload and energise from his abilities.

And overload works outside the expansion. 

I've stopped using Tezz 2 for the most part due to a lack of support destruction.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    T2 stands alone just fine. I use his second primarily and it will keep fabricating without KLD cards. It's the mono walkers in KLD that look for energy that will suffer some. 
  • Gilesclone
    Options
    I hardly ever use the energy T2 generates.  He will continue to be very strong. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @James13 No. Also because his other abilities deal with fabricate mechanic and overload. All of which are mostly part of kaladesh block
    But he makes his own fabricated supports with his own abilities, and most people who are competing in the high tiers don't use energize as a mechanic for the most part anyway, unless objectives require you to do so. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    hmm tes 2 useless? spell cards for cheap zombies baral till he rotates out, hearld of anguish, manalith just for a bit of help cheal kill spells and a buffing creature for 12? with letal sting nah you can count him out i will keep playing him lol, the lack of support removal hurts but with all thaose other it isnt a huge deal really
  • Furordraco
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just don't see the synergy for tezz when kaladesh leaves the standard. Most of mtgpq is about making nice synergistic decks. Tezz has nice colours yes, but by taking away energizing and overloading it halves his synergies. I simply can't buy both cause I don't want to pay.....arghhhhhhhhhhh help meeeeee (wrong thread though...sorry!)
  • Furordraco
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I get it that he stays stronger then mono pws with energize cause of his B/B...and I even get that only one of his abilities needing synergy isn't a game changing loss...but it's a loss right? Against the no loss whatsoever for nissa cycle (again sorry)
  • morgue427
    Options
    using him for ever event and it isnt a challenge really except when i need to win with x health, not tied to the block at all really, been using mostly the newest set cards because they have the best cheap legal kills and the cycling baral will have to go and hearld but sure a good alternative will be found by then
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And ixalan is supposed to have support tokens, which will likely be similar to servos. 
  • Gilesclone
    edited September 2017
    Options
    His synergy is with supports any support.  Supports aren't going away.  
    He can use energy, but doesn't really need it.
  • Furordraco
    Options
    @Gilesclone @Mainloop25 and you convinced me on this thread too :smiley:. Thanks guys @morgue427
  • morgue427
    Options
    my pleasure always nice to help people see hidden possibilities and kick more ai butt
  • Gilesclone
    Options
    Why does d3go hate Arlinn?  Is there any other node that demands 2 and exactly 2 creatures of any other type? @Brigby why do you all hate Arlinn?