Game Data drop in R134 [Devs Aware]

Options
2»

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To fix the issue:
    You need to redownload every art asset for each character, both in roster and in matches. Look at your roster for the first, and do System Reboot for second. Just start a match with 3 new characters, watch the download and retreat. Rinse, repeat until you've done all characters. Missing a character? Find them in sim. PVE Goons? There's Prologue for Hammer and Maggia, but it's a 48h sub, so not that bad if you do them in the actual PVE during your one clear.

(That fix on Reddit is from me. Only get Loading for PVE cutscenes now)
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JSP869 said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. The developers are aware of this issue, and they are already investigating the increase number of load screens.
    According to this post on Reddit (no idea how valid it is) the game now apparently needs to download the art & animation for each character the first time you fight with or against them. The 'workaround' to minimize future loading screens is to play a match with every character in your roster.
    That doesn't fit with what I'm seeing. I get the long loading time even in Lightning Rounds, where I'm running the same team up against a very small selection of characters in the seed teams. But it's still taking just as long to load before the 6th Rags/Storm/Hawkeye team as it did the first.
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I feel like my complaint about this issue is "first world problem" status but this is a really annoying thing to have to sit through prior to starting each battle. 
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options

OMG how is this not fixed yet? When you guys screw up cover odds in favor of the buyer, you get that fixed toot sweet.

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JSP869 said:
    According to this post on Reddit (no idea how valid it is) the game now apparently needs to download the art & animation for each character the first time you fight with or against them. The 'workaround' to minimize future loading screens is to play a match with every character in your roster.
    That doesn't fit with what I'm seeing. I get the long loading time even in Lightning Rounds, where I'm running the same team up against a very small selection of characters in the seed teams. But it's still taking just as long to load before the 6th Rags/Storm/Hawkeye team as it did the first.
    Me too (not in LRs but in Blind Justice which had a loooooooooooooot of Daredevil/R&G/Gamora teams to fight). The only thing I can think of is that it's loading assets for team-up powers.
  • BCblue27
    BCblue27 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Sadly, I wish the developers would give up on trying to make game updates because they've only ever proven to equate to downgrades. I hate even posting something like this but the frustrations that accompany so many rampant bugs, alongside the distinct lack of solutions, are beyond lunacy.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Style55 said:
    I feel like my complaint about this issue is "first world problem" status but this is a really annoying thing to have to sit through prior to starting each battle. 
    First World Problems we wouldn't really care. My heart goes out to folks playing in lesser developed nations who have to pay for their mobile data, and with this latest update this game is now chewing through data like a rottweiler with a pair of sneakers.
  • peanut_gallery
    peanut_gallery Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JSP869 said:
    Style55 said:
    First World Problems we wouldn't really care. My heart goes out to folks playing in lesser developed nations who have to pay for their mobile data, and with this latest update this game is now chewing through data like a rottweiler with a pair of sneakers.
    This.  Beyond any IAP, there is now a very material cost for many folks to just play the baseline game this week unless they fortunate enough to play over WiFi.  As such, D3 should really give some material compensation in the form of a sizable amount of HP.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JSP869 said:
    Style55 said:

Oh for God's sake.
    The game doesn't use any more mobile data than before, it just reduced the initial download size and you have to do the small downloads once for every char when you start a match.

It's annoying but data consumption is the same it ever was.

• peanut_gallery
    peanut_gallery Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    JSP869 said:
    Style55 said:

Oh for God's sake.
    The game doesn't use any more mobile data than before, it just reduced the initial download size and you have to do the small downloads once for every char when you start a match.

I'm realizing this now.  I had originally thought it kept downloading the same assets over and over.  Now I realize it's just very slowly building back up the assets as it needs them (and not dropping them and having to reload them).
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    JSP869 said:
    Style55 said:

Oh for God's sake.

I'm realizing this now.  I had originally thought it kept downloading the same assets over and over.  Now I realize it's just very slowly building back up the assets as it needs them (and not dropping them and having to reload them).
    Dropping and reloading would have been really insane, agreed.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

Oh for God's sake.

Uh, the game is redownloading all assets as if you were loading it up for the first time, that's a spike in data consumption no matter how you frame it. It's not downloading the same ones over and over, but it did drop everything you had cached before R134, so anybody who downloaded the patch and starts playing on the go is going to get hit with a bunch of mobile data usage for no good reason. The only way to avoid that is to never start a match while off Wi-Fi until you've loaded every single character at least once, despite nothing in the game telling you what's going on. That's not exactly user-friendly.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

Oh for God's sake.

Uh, the game is redownloading all assets as if you were loading it up for the first time, that's a spike in data consumption no matter how you frame it. It's not downloading the same ones over and over, but it did drop everything you had cached before R134, so anybody who downloaded the patch and starts playing on the go is going to get hit with a bunch of mobile data usage for no good reason. The only way to avoid that is to never start a match while off Wi-Fi until you've loaded every single character at least once, despite nothing in the game telling you what's going on. That's not exactly user-friendly.
    I think this already happened every patch, except that it all happened at once the first time you launched the game after patching. But yes, it's now much harder to avoid spending any cell data downloading unless you go out of your way to trigger the game to download each thing while still on Wi-Fi.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

Oh for God's sake.

Agreed. I used to only download & install updates when I was on WiFi in order to minimize consumption of my mobile data. After these latest changes, MPQ now downloads the assets as I play on my commute to work & back, so it's absolutely using more data than it did before. I typically stay under my 2.5GB monthly limit, but in this last billing cycle I used over 3GB. Fortunately T-Mobile only slow me down, which is still fething horrible, but it's not as bad as having to pay an overage fee.