Galactus Hungers Event Details *Updated (8/24/17)

Options
13»

Comments

• drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Since 5* Bruce Banner/Hulk is boosted for this event why is it that when in Hulk form he is not boosted???
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can somebody remind me when the hellish scaling on the child nodes kicks in? I've become complacent now that I can choose my PvE scaling and I suspect this is going to be a horrendous shock to the system...

I wonder if there's anything in the pipeline to let you choose your boss scaling, and child scaling, in the same way as for regular story events?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AXP_isme said:
    Can somebody remind me when the hellish scaling on the child nodes kicks in? I've become complacent now that I can choose my PvE scaling and I suspect this is going to be a horrendous shock to the system...

I wonder if there's anything in the pipeline to let you choose your boss scaling, and child scaling, in the same way as for regular story events?
    3rd refresh, after 24 hours.
    So in about 90 minutes.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    C4rol, Coulson, and HawkGuy aren't giving poor Galactus enough time to do much of anything.
  • Bleh5
    Bleh5 Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    C4rol, Coulson, and HawkGuy aren't giving poor Galactus enough time to do much of anything.
    Can you explain how this works? Hawkguy's black to generate blue and purple? And then?... Hawkguy's blue activates Coulson's blue and yellow?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,720 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Isn't everyone? :D
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    Options
    Bleh5 said:
    Can you explain how this works? Hawkguy's black to generate blue and purple? And then?... Hawkguy's blue activates Coulson's blue and yellow?

• JarvisJackrabbit
    Options
    HawkGuy's black passive gives blue and purple for matching enemy countdowns which lets you spam his cheap blue and get Coulson dropping another countdown each time. Coulson generates AP whenever a countdown expires, and it's easy to create a lot of them. C4rol's green can get you some more AP when Galactus shakes the board.  Fire HawkGuy's purple and his temporary strikes get buffed in a hurry from C4rol's yellow to the point that it doesn't matter if you match away his purple countdown or not. I usually leave it alone because the boomerang arrow does some wicked damage with those strikes before it clears them. HawkGuy's blue and C4rol's black create more strikes eventually anyway. Let C4rol's black get strikes on the board until you can use her active yellow to finish off Galactus, although you won't need to unless you get a red/green heavy board.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    Options
    It's also helpful to use C4rol's active yellow to accelerate damage-dealing countdowns while the strikes from HawkGuy's purple are on the board.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Richyyy said:
    Is there some special reason they're considered boss event characters?
    I think they've got great board shake powers, as well as targeting (3x3 with Cho's green as well as xforce wolvie black). You already mentioned self heal for both. Maybe they just fit the bill pretty nicely. I would be using these two with 3* widow for more targeting and board shake with her red at 5 levels. Can't get enough against Galactus spamming cd tiles. 
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Richyyy said:
    Is there some special reason they're considered boss event characters?
    I think they've got great board shake powers, as well as targeting (3x3 with Cho's green as well as xforce wolvie black). You already mentioned self heal for both. Maybe they just fit the bill pretty nicely. I would be using these two with 3* widow for more targeting and board shake with her red at 5 levels. Can't get enough against Galactus spamming cd tiles. 
    D3 don't typically try to offer you useful boosted characters though, you normally just get whatever random group they happen to boost for that week/event. And in Sinister Six with all its different bosses, various characters would've been useful at different times. It must be more than a coincidence that XFW/TAHulk have been boosted repeatedly for boss events, but I still don't really get why.
  • Killabee
    Killabee Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've lost on one total match versus galactus cause I forgot to heal my 3* hulk, but gwenpool, punisher3* as companions, you get green for days cause hulk tanks. Collect green and red only. Easy peasy. 
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @brigby When Galatus gets his power to fire does this affect airborne characters or would they be able to carry on when they land?
    Cosmic Wrath hits all of your team, I expect. On my Alt account I waited to use Riri's Green until I knew Galactus would fire Cosmic Wrath on his very next turn. Riri was airborne but still got nuked.
  • JSP869
    Options
    If I recall correctly (& it's entirely possible I'm not), in previous Galactus & other Boss events, when your Alliance beat a Round it reset the node timers. That didn't happen for this event. We'd clear a Round but the Nodes would remain locked.

Additionally, while it would say 8 hours until the nodes unlocked, I noticed the nodes would actually unlock ahead of time. I don't know how early, but in some cases it was a few hours early. It got so I couldn't just set my alarm for 8 hours, I was logging in every few hours to check the Nodes just in case they had reset.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options

JSP869 said:
    If I recall correctly (& it's entirely possible I'm not), in previous Galactus & other Boss events, when your Alliance beat a Round it reset the node timers. That didn't happen for this event. We'd clear a Round but the Nodes would remain locked.

Additionally, while it would say 8 hours until the nodes unlocked, I noticed the nodes would actually unlock ahead of time. I don't know how early, but in some cases it was a few hours early. It got so I couldn't just set my alarm for 8 hours, I was logging in every few hours to check the Nodes just in case they had reset.
    Side nodes reset every 8 hours, never early.

Boss node was unlocked when you beat a round, side nodes weren't.

This has been the case for 90% of recent boss events, giving you one additional hit per round, but not more.

Also no need to set your alarm, there was really no reason to hit the nodes as soon as they unlocked, as long as you hit them in the 8 hour window they were available.
  • JSP869
    Options
    So they don't unlock 8 hours after you complete the last one, but unlock every 8 hours? That would explain why they appeared to unlock "early", as in before I thought they were going to unlock.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JSP869 said:
    So they don't unlock 8 hours after you complete the last one, but unlock every 8 hours? That would explain why they appeared to unlock "early", as in before I thought they were going to unlock.
    The unlock times for the Galactus node and the side nodes are different.  The Galactus node unlocked if one of the following happened:
    1. you completed a side node
    2. 8 hours elapsed since you last fought Galactus
    3. your alliance progressed to the next round
    The Galactus node would re-lock after you fought it, whether you win or lose.

Every 8 hours, there would be 5 new side nodes you could attempt.  If you missed any of them in an 8 hour window, those opportunities would be gone for good.

As @Bowgentle said, it doesn't really matter what time you attempt the side nodes during that 8 hour window.  But by timing things you could potentially squeeze in a few extra Galactus fights (e.g. complete all 5 fights at the start of one window, then wait 8 hours to fight Galactus again before attempting the 5 new fights).