What to do? Spread too thin to move up.....

Options
SMan
SMan Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
So I would like to qualify my roster by saying I am a noob and was doing things fairly randomly.  I have read up on 2* farming and I have a ton of 2* on the vine that I should farm but don't really have the roster space unless I get rid of some single-covered 4* - but that may make me cry.  

Looking for some help on how best to move forward.

I have a decent (in my opinion) level of 3* stars, and a bunch of useless 4* rostered because of their rarity issue, and just simply because they are 4* and it breaks my heart to sell them when I get them.  2* lots on the vine and I have about 11 covers for Black Widow, Storm, Ares, Bullseye and Hawkeye.  I know I should roster them....but I would have to sell my 4* for space.
Just to add more variables, I have a 4* War Machine, Winter Soldier, Hulkbuster, Thoress, Agent Venom, Punisher Max, Electra on the vine, all singles....also a bunch of 3*...too many to mention.

I think I have to bite the bullet and get rid of 1 covered 4*s and work on the 2* farm.  Stay at the 3* level for a bit more, and then start transitioning to 4*. OR do I stick with the 4* that I have and hope for more covers, and hope for more HP to open up roster slots, which I can use to either roster more single 4* or use to 2* farm.

I am also cheap, so I do not want to spend money on HP.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/blahblahblah4/

Any and all advice would be great.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1) 2* farming isn't something I'd worry about focusing on until you've got most 3*s already championed. You've got several 3*s at 13 covers just waiting for ISO to champion them; I'd definitely put your iso there instead of re-leveling 2*s. The benefits of starting your 3* champion rewards is, in my opinion, greater than the benefits of farming 2*s. For you specifically, you could probably sell your 2* Steve Rogers when he hits 144 and re-roster him at 15. Beter yet, roster one of the other 2*s instead. He's the worst 2* by a rather large margin (not counting Spider-Man) and you'll get a nice boost of 65000 ISO and 125 HP for selling him at 144. Just don't spend it leveling your new 2* Steve. (at this point, hands down spend it on a 3*)

1.5) At this point I wouldn't be to fussed about rostering and leveling all the 2*s. You've got some championed 3*s already (9, it would seem) so a new 2* won't help you out that much, aside from the eventual champion rewards, which are nice, but not as good as 3* champion rewards. If you find yourself at a point where you've championed all the 3*s you can, and don't have any other 3* with 13 covers, then sure, level up a 2* to 94 and champ them.

2) Stop opening legendary tokens (or spending CP on them). As you've noticed, single 4* covers aren't helping you out right now, and single 5* covers can actively hurt you in many cases
    2a) As a corollary to 2, don't put any ISO into your 4*s until you've got all your 3*s championed. And don't put any ISO into your 5*s at all, for a really long time. You probably could have champed at least one of your 3*s (if not 2 or 3) instead of getting that 1/1/1 Star-Lord up to 300.

3) If you're not going to spend money on roster slots (totally legit) then you should probably consider selling those 4*s with 1 or 2 covers. By the time you need them, they're not actually all that rare (and you'll have some legendary tokens and CP saved up to get a jump-start). Then roster all those 3*s you're waiting on, until you've gotten them all.

4) Don't spend Hero Points on anything except roster slots. Can't tell if you're already doing this, but it's worth mentioning. Everything you can buy with hero points, you can get for free eventually, except roster slots. Those will cost your 1000 HP apiece, forever. If you plan on rostering everyone then you will, as of this post, need 139 slots. 132 if you go the common route of ignoring every 1* except the one you use to do the first mission in the deadpool daily.

5) Do the deadpool daily. Again, can't tell if you are or not, but do it :) You'll miss out on Behemoth Burrito most of the time, but right now the CP you'd get from that you'd just be banking anyways (see #2). If you've rostered all the 3*s, it's a more or less free 3* cover every day, plus 2-3 taco tokens

6) Clear out the prologue. If you haven't already. There's a couple of hundred HP in there hidden behind Ragnarok.

7) If it bothers you that you have so many unusable 3* and 4* covers in your vine, hold off on opening tokens of any kind until you have enough HP to buy another slot. Then open tokens until you have to roster someone, or until you pull a 14th cover for someone who you could champion (if you had the ISO). Then stop immediately until you have enough HP for yet another slot. 

I think that's enough for now. Hopefully that's all clear enough. They're all just my opinions of course, although I think they're pretty reasonable.

• SMan
    SMan Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    That is great advice. And thanks for taking the time to write it up. I really appreciate it. I have around 185k ISO and don't dip below 100k and only use HP on slots. I play as far as I can with the DDQ.  I can rarely do the bohemmoth burrito (did it once with Mordo I believe).  At one point I had a lot of CP and opened a bunch of LT just for fun. Guess that backfired a bit. I have the ISO to champ those 3* but I read that it might affect the scaling so I am waiting to get the 14th cover before hitting that button. Don't know if that is true or not and to what degree that will affect play. I love opening up tokens. But I guess I will have to hoard for a while to get those 3* up without sacrificing roster slots. I use my Starlord as a bit of a tank and he hits hard with just tile matching and sometimes his purple comes in handy.   

Will trybthings out. I am sure I will have greater success with more powerful 3* but without opening tokens I will have to earn the covers so that might take a bit of time. 

I think I was in denial with what to do...let's go sell some 4*. 

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track, then. :)

Since you already have some 5*s, championing your 3*s won't affect your scaling in any appreciable way (if at all), although waiting for a 14th cover is a reasonable strategy so long as you can complete events with your characters at their current levels (I guess you only have 2 characters waiting to champ, and they're 140 or higher; probably fine).

In fact, for about a month now, enemies in the Story events don't scale at all based on your roster; they're fixed based on what clearance level you choose at the beginning of the event. You can read about that here:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/66807/difficulty-levels-based-on-s-h-i-e-l-d-clearance-levels-update-8-4-17-updated#latest

Based on where your roster is, and depending on how you play, I'd say SCL 6 is probably where you want to be, although SCL 7 wouldn't be much more difficult and would give you a slow trickle of 4* covers that you don't have to feel bad about selling if you can't roster them.

Oh, also, welcome to the forums. :sunglasses: