PVP Points

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    said:
    Hi @konannfriends. A lot of players have been helpful enough to provide you some more insight and information, but if you find you still have more questions, feel free to take a look at our Tips & Guides section!

cant seem to get rid of these gray boxes. was trying to figure out how quotes work and .....

You should see this icon in the menu for the editor
    </>

that turns off the wysiswig part of the editor.  More importantly you can then move the cursor out side of the quote block and work the tags
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    said:
    Hi @konannfriends. A lot of players have been helpful enough to provide you some more insight and information, but if you find you still have more questions, feel free to take a look at our Tips & Guides section!

cant seem to get rid of these gray boxes. was trying to figure out how quotes work and .....

Yeah, you and everyone else. Sometimes I have to delete a post 3-4 times to post outside the box.....
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    MPQ needs to be setup so there is zero failure for 100% of the player base.

Simple!
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    I agree with aesthetocyst above.
    Don't give up it is possible, and experimenting to find what works for you is key.
    Yes shields will probably be necessary.
    A 3 and an 8 hour are probably a better investment than a 24.
    Try slice 4 if you're not there already.
    Get whale team ups from your alliance to quickly beat a tough high value team during a hop. Modern black widow blue is also a great team up for shutting down stronger teams.
    Boost during your hops.
    Just keep trying and don't give up at 575 like the majority.

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say the most important thing when it comes to PvP is to have patience and manage expectations. I'm not gonna lie to you, getting to 900 with a mostly 3* roster is not that easy. Hitting 900 gets a lot easier once you get some 4* champs on your roster, especially when they're boosted. I know you mentioned being a broke college student in your initial post, and that shields are hard to come by, but not using shields also makes it hard to get to 900 as well.

I promise, I'm not trying to be discouraging, just trying to be honest with you so you can gauge how realistic it is for you to pursue these rewards at this point in the game.

For most of my first year, pretty much any HP I had went towards roster spots. That meant I didn't have enough to spare for shields in PvP. Consequently, I didn't do much with PvP. Then I gradually got to 400 in each event for the HP, to help combat that aforementioned deficit. After that, I started pushing for 575 each event. I continued experimenting, finding out which slice worked best for my schedule, and even when to climb within that slice. And for me, the last piece of the puzzle that fell into place was getting some 4* champs. Last season was the first I hit 900 in all events except one. I've hit it in every event this season so far. I'm day 460, for reference.

Having said all that, I still get shut out and fail to hit that 900 mark at times, most recently in the Black Vortex off season event a few weeks ago; it was the event right after we had to test for the potential new style of PvP. That boosted list just wasn't very favorable for me. And I'm still not overly wild about the mode as a whole. I still feel like it causes more stress than enjoyment, but it's getting somewhat better.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Milk Jugz said:
    Milk Jugz said:

Just a question, as this was before my time in the game. How "meta-breaking" was X-force Wolverine when he was introduced? I know he was nerfed not long after release
    Like any good D3 Wolverine, he was nerfed, but only after he was no longer the dominant force he started as.  He was the first gen of no-chance opponents if you didn't also have him on your roster.  Then as some of the 3s got a bit better, he became beatable (also, as you played against him more and more, you figured out better strategies).  But with the new 3s, came better 4s.  And those better 4s (HB/Jean) were the new meta when they nerfed XFW, just about the same time as those that were trailing the whales started to have him better covered.  See also, OML.  Rinse and repeat with the Wolverines, it seems.  

My chronology may be slightly off, but this is the nutshell to the best of my recollection. 
    Your point about when 5* players had young rosters battling with the 4*s made me think of this. There will always be a bigger better roster out there (unless you're *nope*, but who else has that kind of $$$). So the 5* players once fought through the slog when 4* were the best thing and now we fight the slog with 5* as the best thing, it's just bumped a tier...... I really hope there is NEVER a 6* tier introduced.....

It goes way back, there have always been relatively over-powered characters, even before the 4s. 

CMags was horrendous in his day, Sentry/Hood and even 3* Spidey. 

Point is, only the most "advanced" players had the best characters. But you can always buy your way there, and this is where I think some of the jealousy or bitterness comes. 

Apart from a TINY minority though, everyone has trodden the same path. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rod5 said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    Milk Jugz said:

Just a question, as this was before my time in the game. How "meta-breaking" was X-force Wolverine when he was introduced? I know he was nerfed not long after release
    Like any good D3 Wolverine, he was nerfed, but only after he was no longer the dominant force he started as.  He was the first gen of no-chance opponents if you didn't also have him on your roster.  Then as some of the 3s got a bit better, he became beatable (also, as you played against him more and more, you figured out better strategies).  But with the new 3s, came better 4s.  And those better 4s (HB/Jean) were the new meta when they nerfed XFW, just about the same time as those that were trailing the whales started to have him better covered.  See also, OML.  Rinse and repeat with the Wolverines, it seems.  

My chronology may be slightly off, but this is the nutshell to the best of my recollection. 
    Your point about when 5* players had young rosters battling with the 4*s made me think of this. There will always be a bigger better roster out there (unless you're *nope*, but who else has that kind of $$$). So the 5* players once fought through the slog when 4* were the best thing and now we fight the slog with 5* as the best thing, it's just bumped a tier...... I really hope there is NEVER a 6* tier introduced.....

It goes way back, there have always been relatively over-powered characters, even before the 4s. 

CMags was horrendous in his day, Sentry/Hood and even 3* Spidey. 

Point is, only the most "advanced" players had the best characters. But you can always buy your way there, and this is where I think some of the jealousy or bitterness comes. 

Apart from a TINY minority though, everyone has trodden the same path. 

It was a LOT easier to buy your way to the top back in the days.
    Pretty much everyone who got 4Thor to 1/1/1 after her release PVE and PVP whaled her immediately for the price of a single Stark and was set until the nerf (everybody already had XForce fully covered, just not leveled before his buff).

Today?
    Drop 10K on the newest shiny OP 5*, be prepared to do it again every time a new good one comes out.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards

You mentions past problems that have long been fixed.  
    No, I mentioned that the "problem" you pointed out is not a new "problem."  
    Really?  In case you forgot here's what you listed?

3)  PVP has always been bad for low-level players.  You are not a unique snowflake.  Before it was 5 stars, it was 2-3 star players vs maxed Jean/HB.  It was alliances of 5 vs alliances of 20 for placement.  It was a more open MMR so those Jean/HB teams could find you at 300.  It was the 4 star cover at 1200.  And before the IM40 rework, there was almost no chance for a 3-star roster to take out a Jean/HB fully covered 4-star team.  So again, we've all been there.  Dilution hasn't helped things in this regard, but to pretend like it was never an issue before 5 stars shows where your bias lies.  Some of us just built our rosters utilizing PVE.  Then DDQ showed up and that put roster development into a *tizzy*.  Now with the flood of CP, 4 and 5 star development is easier than ever.

Before it was 5 stars, it was 2-3 star players vs maxed Jean/HB.  (Comparative statement
    It was alliances of 5 vs alliances of 20 for placement. (Fixed)
    It was a more open MMR  (Fixed)
    It was the 4 star cover at 1200. (Fixed)
    And before the IM40 rework, there was almost no chance for a 3-star roster to take out a Jean/HB fully covered 4-star team.  (Fixed)
    Dilution hasn't helped things in this regard, but to pretend like it was never an issue before 5 stars shows where your bias lies. (I never claimed there were no issues with low level PvP, I claimed you can't say we've been there because the issues aren't the same.  Compare apples to oranges all day if you want, it won't make you right)
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    To the author of the OP.
    That my friend is what a broken system looks like.
    It's broken many good game-players in the process.
    Roll on the implementation of the new system.
    #nuffsaid

Amen and pass the mashed potatoes. Can't come fast enough. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't reach 900 in Real Steel, and I have 35+ champed 4* characters, including the boosted St4rLord, Medusa, and Cycl4ps. I just barely cleared 800, and I couldn't even hold that.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't reach 900 in Real Steel, and I have 35+ champed 4* characters, including the boosted St4rLord, Medusa, and Cycl4ps. I just barely cleared 800, and I couldn't even hold that.
    Real steel was horrible over 800!!! I had the most trouble hitting 900 in this one than any of the rest this season. I did finally manage to make it after hitting 899 and getting hit down, 876 hit down, 887 hit down. Then finally I got a defense win during a battle cleared 900 to 916 and stopped. Shield out!! It was a slog though..... So sick of seeing Medusa Cyclops teams.... Only one more for them boosted..... 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    I too struggled with Real Steel.  I ultimately decided I didn't care enough about the uphill battle and losing the rewards so I got to 575 and let me float back down.  
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
      You mentions past problems that have long been fixed.  
    No, I mentioned that the "problem" you pointed out is not a new "problem."  It hasn't been "fixed" but the "problem" exists today as it always has but has been replaced by 5s instead of 4s.  Thus, those of us that have been playing since the start and have developed rosters have seen the "problem" you state (and hence, "have all been there," as I stated).  Where we disagree is not over fixes, or fixes to old problems causing new problems that require fixing, but that it was a "problem" to begin with.  There has never been a "fix" to the issue that in a competitive gaming environment, a new roster should not be competitive with a developed roster on average.  In any game.  Ever.  (To my knowledge.)
    Putting "words" into quotation "marks" does not make them any "less" of an opinion. Broll did a good job of pointing out how things have been addressed, but something occurred to me.

To be clear, we are talking progression rewards, not placement.  So when we are talking about better rosters beating those that are developing, i think we all agree it's not abnormal for the higher end roster to place higher, right?  

What we are talking about here is progression.   Currently, that goal is 900, and if you read through this thread and others, you see plenty of helpful higher end rosters giving wonderful tips and advice for reaching this target under the current system.  So i think we can all agree, that no one(well, mostly no one) has problems with developing rosters reaching these progression rewards.  

So my question is, why shouldn't they tweak pvp? If everyone is ok with people getting to 900, why shouldn't they make it a little more palatable to more people?  And before you say not everyone should hit 900, i agree.  With the tweaks, they should maybe make it CL based or something to keep the 4* reward to 7 or 8 and higher.

You basically said yourself that you got to where you are after "years" of playing. You think new people read that and don't find that off putting?  You don't think the devs see a problen where half of the product they create is being actively ignored by a large portion of their playerbase?

Your solution is basically, "i had a long road to get here, and so should you."  I think that is not the best opinion for the long term health of the game.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards

I shouldn't be found credible if I join the basketball team and then complain there's not enough tackling or kicking--even if I prefer the way a basketball uniform fits and want to play my sports solely indoors.

I like the way you play basketball, sir.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    The biggest change to the 2-3-4* meta has not been the 5*s, it was demi putting 10cp at a low achievable of 575.
    If they moved that to 800 and put the 3* at 575, you would find 800 much more achievable as many of the 3-4 transitions would not just give up at 575 and the whole point level for the shard would improve.
    People climbing to 800 would make your climb a lot easier, and from there, a hop to 900 would be very reasonable.
    This!!! People only see 10cp and never thought of how badly it influenced low level game
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    YMMV.  I have 34 champed 4*s and hit 1200 in 31 fights.  Finished 4th.

I climbed with Medusa/Cyclops and once I started shield hopping I used Starlord/Cyclops for the quicker matches.  I also front ran the event which cost me 1,275 HP.  With the HP I received from the event my total outlay was 975 HP for two 4* covers, five 3* covers and 26 CP plus a handful of tokens.  

If you are willing to use shields you can get a pretty good return on your HP.  One person from my battlechat climbed to 1200 using unboosted Peggy and IM40 the entire event with the loaner.  
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    revskip said:
    Borstock said:
    YMMV.  I have 34 champed 4*s and hit 1200 in 31 fights.  Finished 4th.

I climbed with Medusa/Cyclops and once I started shield hopping I used Starlord/Cyclops for the quicker matches.  I also front ran the event which cost me 1,275 HP.  With the HP I received from the event my total outlay was 975 HP for two 4* covers, five 3* covers and 26 CP plus a handful of tokens.  

If you are willing to use shields you can get a pretty good return on your HP.  One person from my battlechat climbed to 1200 using unboosted Peggy and IM40 the entire event with the loaner.  
    I have 37 champed 4* (including 4Cyke, 4Starlord, Medusa, and Vulture). No usable 5*. I hit only 1k (too lazy to go higher)

I climbed, floated, and pushed with 4Cyke+Vulture (Got lucky with tokens and he is champed now). I floated at around 600 as usual. Pushed to 850 then shielded for 3h to look for targets. Got 3x 60 pts. Q'd them, walked away from the game to let them fatten up a bit. Came back like 20 mins later. Got a clean hopped out of two of them and landed at 1k. Decided to called it and dropped a 24h shield till the end at around 20h left in the event.

No outside communication or battlechat.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    To OP, don't let this experience discourage you. You did really really great, imo. Once your roster gets stronger, you will be able to score higher and easier. I started playing PvP when I had nothing but Shulk and SW champed. I started as a 3-400 scorer and now I hit 900+ in every PvP as my roster is progressed from 2*->3* transitioner to a full-time 4*.

I don't know if others have mentioned these nitpicking tips already, but just in case.

:snip:

So I tried to climb. The only openents I found gave me 20 points. So I picked the easiest "lookin" team. A level 145 Colosus , 170 iron man40, and Kamala. 

Well the Ai matches black and yellow popped off iron man yellow, tossed Kamala and used her green into her green again. And I lost btw. I was using buffed 245 GSBW, And 167 Uncanny Cyclops And the given Colosus.

:snip:
    I don't know how your roster look like so the followings comment is more or less a general case.

GSBW is a terrible choice for hopping even if you pair her with a batterry. Her damage number looks big but it's actually quite low for what it cost. KK, on the other hand, is an excellent choice who deals more damage and is much faster for hopping.

In general, fully covered 3* even unboosted is better then partially covered boosted 4*. Most of the 4* are, sadly, useless until they are fully covered.

Hope this helps :)