Stuck at "fetching player event"

Options
2»

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi @Slypenslyde. I just took a look at your support ticket again, and noticed that your screenshot shows you're still on the 2.2.0 update.

Have you looked in your Apple store to see if there is a new update? The most recent version is 2.2.2. Perhaps updating it to that version will allow for you to successfully load your profile.
  • Slypenslyde
    Slypenslyde Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The screenshot was taken on August 1st, a couple of days before the 2.2.1 update came in, so it was out of date. I've tried in 2.2.1 and in 2.2.2 on both an iPhone 7 and an old iPad I have. The only thing that MIGHT work is if I try to log in on an Android device, but I don't have any of those and I'm not sure if the save would carry over.

If some future update includes a way to clear my iOS data, I can comply with the request and maybe I'll be interested again. It's not a small task for me to wipe my phone, I have a lot of photos and music to resync afterwards and I don't think it's unreasonable to decide I'd rather not do that. 

Now that I think about it, a restore might not even work. I first started playing on my iPad, and when I installed on my iPhone the save file was there. It was a great feature! But that tells me it's part of my iOS cloud data, I can't think of how it would've been on two different devices otherwise? I just had a peek in my phone's iCloud data settings though, it doesn't list MTGPQ as an app with data I can "manage". 

But if the data's on iCloud and not associated with the phone, restoring BOTH my iPad AND my phone might not work? It'd be so much easier if the app itself let me delete this data.

• Brigby
    Options
    Ahh I see. That makes sense. And that's absolutely understandable why you'd be hesitant to choose the factory reset option. 

Hmm unfortunately I'm personally unfamiliar with iOS, as I myself own an Android device. I'm assuming that your device itself does not have a way to clear data within the app settings menu?
  • Slypenslyde
    Slypenslyde Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It sort of varies. iOS is way more of a walled garden than Android. I'm an iOS/Android dev but our app doesn't use cloud stuff so I'm not super familiar but here's what I know and can speculate:

iOS has no dang concept of 'a file browser', even when you're a developer. An app can see what's inside its own "bundle", get access to things like photos through API, and that's it for filesystem access. A jailbroken phone can gain more power, but that can come with consequences and I imagine your app blocks access to jailbroken phones anyway. (They can be used for cheating.)

So if you weren't using cloud stuff at all, I could delete/reinstall the app and that would zap my local data. We wouldn't be having that conversation if that were true. Plus: the save I started on my iPad was used by my iPhone, so it's clear some kind of cloud sync happened.

Now, if you use certain APIs for saving files (CloudKit is the API, I think), those files sync via iCloud to all of a user's devices. In theory, that means I should see an entry in a deep, dark Settings menu. I don't see that entry for MtGPQ. 

That leaves me at a bit of a loss for explaining what's going on. Maybe CloudKit has a way to tell iOS "Don't let the user delete these files". Maybe your devs opted to turn that on because it seemed like letting users delete their own saves was asking for it. I'd have to spend a couple of hours in some API docs to have a reasonable opinion as to whether this is possible. 

The only way I could give more information than that is if you did something incredibly stupid and added me to your provisioning profiles. Then I could write an app that, to iOS, looked enough like MtGPQ to let me dig around and determine where the save is and clear it myself. If you did that, and I was your boss, I'd fire you because it's an immense security risk to give a rando the keys to the kingdom. ;)

I think you should float to the developers, "I think it's not a good thing that users have no way to clear their save data without restoring an iPhone." That's part of why my company's application doesn't use iCloud: we have commercial users and desperately need to be able to let them erase all data if something gets corrupted, and the easiest way to do that is to make "deleting the app" synonymous with "removing all data". 

• Brigby
    Options
    @Slypenslyde
    So I spoke with the rest of the D3 Go! team, and we're currently working to get a small, trusted group of engineers and developers up to speed in the meantime. Once they're fully acquainted with everything, then I will pass along account issues such as yours, so they can address them.

Apologies for the delay, but thank you for your patience and understanding!
  • ertaii
    ertaii Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi there,

I've got almost the same symptoms here. I'm playing on android, latest version of the game. When I reach the fetching events step, I got a "something went wrong" screen. I can't start the game anymore...

Edit : after several minutes and ten if attempts I managed to log back. I'll keep you informed if anything goes wrong again.

Edit 2 : well it did not take long. I was able to log in, get my free booster, then when I got the "events" menu, I got the same symptoms again :( is it just for me or are we several players facing the same situation ?
  • MISTERMOIST
    MISTERMOIST Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have started to encounter this issue today as well, I played fine all morning and then something went wrong since 8 am this morning
  • ertaii
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have started to encounter this issue today as well, I played fine all morning and then something went wrong since 8 am this morning
    @MISTERMOIST I don't know what timezone you're living in. I'm GMT+1, so I can say I played my last game at about 7PM GMT and noticed the problem at 10PM GMT. What about you ?
  • ertaii
    Options
    @Brigby are you aware of a current issue with the game please ? I found no official announcement yet. Thanks for your help.
  • MISTERMOIST
    MISTERMOIST Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    ertaii said:
    @MISTERMOIST I don't know what timezone you're living in. I'm GMT+1, so I can say I played my last game at about 7PM GMT and noticed the problem at 10PM GMT. What about you ?
    I am EST, but I was at work at 5 am and asleep before that.  If i keep hitting try again, it'll load but by bit, but still freezes at some point and takes several minutes.
  • ertaii
    Options
    @MISTERMOISTif I keep hitting the button I sometimes get to log in. I can play single player game (story mode) but not events. 
  • BUgsySA
    BUgsySA Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm also stuck on loading player events for over an hour now. Events were pretty slow today and got stuck at the something went wrong screen multiple times, but hitting retry would eventually get through. 
  • HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This has been affecting me as well. If I hit Try Again enough times, I can get it to work.
  • ertaii
    Options
    I finally managed to enter back the current event and play a match. However the game crashed on the victory screen (something went wrong, cancel/retry). No matter how many times I got retry, it was to no avail. I finally got to hit cancel and lost my achievement points (only 6/7 but that's too bad anyway...)
  • Hesturk
    Hesturk Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    Game seems to have started producing this error earlier today. I am on Android as well. Most of time I finally reach the next step but it takes up to 15 minutes. I get that on opening the app, while trying to enter an event or even after a game. Twice I never reached the next step and add to close the app.
  • HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    When it hangs after a match ends on the point screen, I've found that if you close the app and wait briefly, the points you won will be there once you manage to get back in again.