4* DDQ: Starlord vs Gamora

Options
BlackBoltRocks
BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
Needed two tries with lv275 5/3/5 Starlord. First run, Gamora easily got 12 Black, and the board was littered with yellow tiles

Second run, Gamora easily got 12 Green, and also managed to get a Bad Reputation off, but thankfully there weren't so many yellows this time round. I was stuck at 9 Purple forever, but thankfully Gamora used a Razor Edge, which Pete survived. By that point I had 22 Red, so Oldest Tricked Gamora thrice in a row for the win

LT = Agent Coulson Blue for lv275

Comments

• optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My first try (champion Star Lord) presented a very Gamora friendly board. I denied black for as long as I could, but eventually she got it, and her green, and I had nothing. One red that didn't hit nearly hard enough. Retreat. Try again later. 

Gamora can be nasty in a 1-on-1. A stun & strikes to deal with. 
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Reading the above two posts I don't feel so bad taking 3 attempts! I have a 5/3/5 SL and I brought him up to level 270 for the third attempt.
    reward was a vulture blue, 0/1/2 now, so that's cool, but would love at least one black cover
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Already tried like five times with my 2/1/5 Level 172. First try was the closest, when she had 837 health left. I'm pretty sure no matter how hard I try to deny green and black, the board always, and I mean ALWAYS, drops in perfect matches for her.

So much so that I'm to the point of wondering why I'm bothering to deny her AP. The AI ensures she gets it anyway. So what happens is I avoid going for my own colors and make green and black matches worth 40 or 50 points, she gets all her AP anyway and fires her powers, and the only thing I have to show for it is 20-30 AP each in green and black and little else. OK, I may be exaggerating, but not by much.

In these Crashes, where it's borderline whether or not I'll win, I always play a match or two with no boosts to get a feel for what the strategy should be, then apply boosts properly. If I would have done 100 percent match damage for all right off the top, I'd be done already. Grrrrr...
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    2/1/3 isn't going to cut it. Likely will have to wait until Mr. F for another crash victory.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    270 3/5/5, first try. Wasn't particularly close. 
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    SO it sounds like I should sit this one out with my 1/2/2 level 111 SL
  • CyberVenom2001
    CyberVenom2001 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lvl 272 5/5/3 Starlord here. Won on first attempt with a 5 purple match early followed by plenty of basic red matches. Still had over 5000 health.
  • dswan3rd
    dswan3rd Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lost my initial attempt, though I'm sure I'll get the W at some point during the 5-day stretch...but it's a sad state of affairs when a champed LVL 280 character is still somewhat board dependent without boosts for one of these matchups...
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LVL 282 Star-Lord at 3/5/5, and it was still a very close fight. I was lucky enough to deny her black, although she was grabbing nearly every red match that showed up on the board. By the time she had enough black to fire off her Bad Reputation, I was able to cast Purple twice, followed by red twice to take her out. Won with 1100 health left, and I would have been toast next turn.

Token is hoarded until the rest of my 13 cover 4-stars are champed. Ant-Man's first, as I've got a cover for him in the queue that goes away in 12 days.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My 2/1/5 Starlord beat Gamora at the first try, but he was heavily boosted in red, purple and all AP and I had a pretty lucky board- I got a lot of purple and most of the red. Gamora only hit me once with Razor's Edge and once with Skullcracker, but that was it. I hit her at least 2-3 times. Lucky break was lucky. I did get a Sandman cover though...
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This was a tough fight for my 5/3/4 level 229 Starlord. I lost the first two matches, and just barely managed it on my third try - I finished with 196 health! She managed to cast all of her powers each try, but luckily I had enough purple to fire it twice, taking out most of the non-matchable strike tiles. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First try with L272 SL.
    Built up both purple and red.
    Fired purple then red.
    That's all she wrote, still had half health.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My 2/1/5 Starlord beat Gamora at the first try, but he was heavily boosted in red, purple and all AP and I had a pretty lucky board- I got a lot of purple and most of the red. Gamora only hit me once with Razor's Edge and once with Skullcracker, but that was it. I hit her at least 2-3 times. Lucky break was lucky. I did get a Sandman cover though...
    *cue sad tuba and trombone sound when someone loses on "The Price Is Right"*

I finally made it through on about my eighth try. Used +2 all AP, 50% green and black matches and 100% all matches. I still lost the first time using those boosts. Second time, I got some purple off the top and saved up as much as I could. She hit me with Razor's Edge once before I had enough purple to make my red really effective. The next time she did though, I was able to double cast purple for a total of five CDs on the board. Hit her with red, then an unmatched critical tile to take her out. Finished with about 3700 health left. Token to the hoard. 
  • zaku
    zaku Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    sh81 said:
    3/3/4 Starlord, took me longer than it should have.

I dont use SL much, so I didnt realise his red packs more punch after his purple is out because of the countdowns.

I took to collecting as much red/purple as I could until Gamora fired a power - then threw out as many countdowns and hit with red as much as I could at the reduced cost.

Word of warning - deny black at all cost.  Her black makes every yellow a strike, denying your passive, and also making every go after that a countdown to losing...
    @Brigby
    SL's power description says "a countdown tile". It doesn't specify yellow, but it only spawns a yellow. Before his rework, it created a countdown on a yellow tile, as the power said, but now, it won't fire if there are no opwn yellow tiles. Intentional or carryover oversight?
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I won this on my second try last night; appropriately enough I drew a Gamora with the token, her fifth cover.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Level 275 5/3/5 Star-Lord. Typically I'll do the first match unboosted, then kick myself when I lose a close match knowing if I'd boosted I'd have probably done enough match damage to win. But I never learn, so I did the first match unboosted, again.

I denied Gamora Green and Red so hard I forgot all about her Black, and when she fired it she bogarted all the Yellow tiles so Everyone With Me couldn't proc. Fortunately even w/o Everyone With Me I still had enough Purple for Sleight of Hand, so I converted 3 of her Strike tiles, hit her with an Oldest Trick, and thank kitteh all three Sleight of Hand tiles survived to countdown because when they went off she still had ~4500 health. Close, but no 

I got a Purple X-Force Deadpool bringing him to 3/2/3 but no Bonus Hero cover so my C4rol is still one cover away from being a Champion.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @zakusaid:
    sh81 said:
    3/3/4 Starlord, took me longer than it should have.

I dont use SL much, so I didnt realise his red packs more punch after his purple is out because of the countdowns.

I took to collecting as much red/purple as I could until Gamora fired a power - then threw out as many countdowns and hit with red as much as I could at the reduced cost.

Word of warning - deny black at all cost.  Her black makes every yellow a strike, denying your passive, and also making every go after that a countdown to losing...
    Brigby
    SL's power description says "a countdown tile". It doesn't specify yellow, but it only spawns a yellow. Before his rework, it created a countdown on a yellow tile, as the power said, but now, it won't fire if there are no opwn yellow tiles. Intentional or carryover oversight?
    Good question! I'll be sure to ask the developers, and find out. I'll update this post once I hear back from them
  • zaku
    zaku Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Good question! I'll be sure to ask the developers, and find out. I'll update this post once I hear back from them
    Senpai noticed me....(´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3/2/5 209 and no boosts. Fight took a while because Gamora kept beating me to the red matches. By the time I had 8 red I had 22 purple to add 4 countdown tiles to the board. 7500 damage blast did most of the work then the purple explosions finished her off with Star Lord down to about 800 health.
    Token to the hoard.
  • TheZeusBear
    TheZeusBear Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    2/3/2 Sl at level 147. Wiped and retreated a few times to get a better board. Beat it eventually on 6th try.