Why did the AI need a nerf?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Steeme said:
    When in doubt they try to pick a match close to the top left corner.

I always thought it did this to "not disturb the board".  That is, if it chose something at the bottom, then it could potentially set the player up for a nice counter-move.

I sometimes do the same thing by taking a harmless loyalty swap near the top.

If the AI does have a preference for top-left, I'd be amazed if it's related to some deep gameplay strategy attempt (and a flawed one at that - see below), rather than some arbitrary sequencing implementation choice in the board inspection algorithm.  There are far more obvious ways the AI could be tweaked to play more effectively.  (Prioritising 5-matches and player support gems springs to mind!)

Another basic improvement for the AI would be to prefer moves which trigger cascades.  If it did that, then playing top-of-board when no cascades are available would make sense, as Steeme explains.  But preferring top-of-board plays when the board's cascade potential state is unknown will actually deny itself more than the opponent.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    what's worse than leaving the ai a match 5?
    the ai then ignores it for a nearby match 4, no
    cascade. what's that all about? (did I just set
    myself up for a match 5 on my next turn?)

HH
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Even when mage ring responder is on the board it skips match5s. Poor card just sits there the entire game.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Ahaha.. that's pretty funny.  I saw that card drop the other day in ToS... was like wow... that is just so utterly awful!