Riri's Magnetic Repulsors attracting friendly special tiles

Options
DFiPL
DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
My C4rol created a strike tile with Photonic Barrage, and on the next turn, I used Magnetic Repulsors. It grabbed that strike tile, moved it to the center of the board, and converted it to a red charged tile.

Comments

• Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The tiles grabbed are at random. Could be anything. I've moved a crit tile before.
  • DFiPL
    Options
    But the power explicitly says basic or enemy special. It should not be grabbing friendly or critical tiles.
  • Fionsel
    Fionsel Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    See 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/66594/revised-riris-blue-does-not-attract-enemy-countdown-tiles#latest

It's either bugged or the description is wrong, but right now it just grabs random tiles.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've seen it convert friendly special tiles, but not by moving them into the center directly.  It moved other tiles in (which means the existing center tiles, including friendly specials already there, get swapped out of the center), then resolved any matches those tile swaps caused, making some different tiles fall down into the center, friendly specials among them, and then the center tiles were converted.  I'm not convinced it's moving the wrong tiles, but if you're not watching it closely you may miss how your special tiles ended up without a chair after the music stopped playing.
    The full order of operations seems to be:
    1. Swap four center tiles with four randomly selected tiles of the stated type(s).
    2. Resolve any matches created by step 1.
    3. Convert whatever tiles are at the center to either basic or charged red tiles, as stated.
    4. Resolve any matches created by step 3.
    5. Deal the additional damage stated in the power's description.
    This is slightly different from the order of operations implied by the description of the power, but the main difference is that the base damage seems to come after all the swaps and match resolutions.
  • Dayv
    Options

Fionsel said:
    See 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/66594/revised-riris-blue-does-not-attract-enemy-countdown-tiles#latest

It's either bugged or the description is wrong, but right now it just grabs random tiles.
    This looks like a misinterpretation to me.  As Jaedenkaal states there, the power swaps randomly selected basic or enemy special tiles.  It does not specify that it will always grab enemy special tiles when available, just that they're eligible to be moved.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dayv said:
    I've seen it convert friendly special tiles, but not by moving them into the center directly.  It moved other tiles in (which means the existing center tiles, including friendly specials already there, get swapped out of the center), then resolved any matches those tile swaps caused, making some different tiles fall down into the center, friendly specials among them, and then the center tiles were converted.  I'm not convinced it's moving the wrong tiles, but if you're not watching it closely you may miss how your special tiles ended up without a chair after the music stopped playing.
    This is my experience as well. I've never seen a friendly special tile actually swapped into the center (although I've definitely seen them swapped out of the center), although I have seen friendly special tiles fall into the center after cascades, and then be converted to a charged tile.

I think nearly all the time I'd rather have the Charged tile and the AP/additional cascade it represents, so I'm ok with losing the odd friendly tile to this particular boardshake. 

• DFiPL
    Options
    Dayv said:
    This is my experience as well. I've never seen a friendly special tile actually swapped into the center (although I've definitely seen them swapped out of the center), although I have seen friendly special tiles fall into the center after cascades, and then be converted to a charged tile.

I think nearly all the time I'd rather have the Charged tile and the AP/additional cascade it represents, so I'm ok with losing the odd friendly tile to this particular boardshake. 

I've seen both boardshake drop a tile for conversion and a friendly tile get swapped to the middle with Riri's blue. Hence this thread's existence. 
  • badsaj
    badsaj Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    DFiPL said:
    Dayv said:

I've seen both boardshake drop a tile for conversion and a friendly tile get swapped to the middle with Riri's blue. Hence this thread's existence.
    Until yesterday I had only seen the tile drop reason for friendly tiles getting overwritten, but playing PVE last night I had Carol create a strike tile with photonic barrage, then hit Mag-Rep and it swapped the strike tile to the middle and overwrote it.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Hm. I wonder if it's not updating to exclude friendly tiles that were only created in the current turn.

Sounds like Storm and I need to do some testing.
  • badsaj
    badsaj Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    That was my thought when I saw it happen. I specifically saw the tile appear and then get swapped on the same turn. That's the only time I have seen it, but I play while watching TV most of the time, so there could be all kinds of stuff going on that I don't notice.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Ok I tried this with Storm a few times. No attack tiles were moved to the center of the board even though they made up 75% of the tiles on the board. The second time I even ended up with 4 T/U tiles in the middle, presumably for lack of other non-friendly tiles. So I'm pretty confident in saying that this is not a simple tile-selection bug.

I'm guessing this is an edge case where the tile definitions are not being updated after Photonic Barrage creates a Strike tile for the turn and before powers can be fired. If that's the case we might also expect to see an issue with Rocket's Pack, although it really depends on how they were implemented.

Has anyone seen this occur with anything other than the strike tiles created by Photonic Barrage? If not, we might want to update the description
  • Dayv
    Options
    DFiPL said:
    Thanks for confirming that.  I wasn't trying to say you were definitely wrong, just that I hadn't seen it myself but had seen results that might be mistaken for it.

And as far as preferring the charged tiles to friendly specials, that depends on just what tiles got overwritten.  Imagine a meticulously managed Doc Ock green countdown with one turn to go, for example...
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Dayv said:
    And as far as preferring the charged tiles to friendly specials, that depends on just what tiles got overwritten.  Imagine a meticulously managed Doc Ock green countdown with one turn to go, for example...
    If it's only got 1 turn to go, why the heck did you fire MagReps at all for? You're gonna win next turn!!
  • Dayv
    Options
    Dayv said:
    If it's only got 1 turn to go, why the heck did you fire MagReps at all for? You're gonna win next turn!!
    If I wanted real world examples, I wouldn't have pretended people use Doc Ock!
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    I've seen him in PVP sim, so clearly they do :)