Is Carol the new OML?

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I know these things are cyclical, but holy TinyKitty is 4-star Carol out there. PvP used to have OML on every team. What did the developers say before they nerfed him... he was in 99.9999999% of all matches? Now all I see is Carol. She's more common than the required character! 

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    OML was the new JeanBuster, who was the new Thorverine, who was the new SentryHood, who was the new.........
  • Dormammu
    smkspy said:
    Medusa is the new OML.

Yeah, I see a lot of Medusa too. But she's always teamed with Carol!
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Precisely. I love fight against Carol when her max color matches mine - mirror goes down quickly
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Medusa is.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

Honestly, no.  She's not a 5* so she can only go so far.  Even at 370 (which a lot of people have, apparently,) she's really good, but she doesn't dominate a true 5* team.

Carol is probably one of the best, if not the best support for 5* characters from the 4* tier, but she is not heads and shoulders above the rest of the tier.  I saw a lot of her when she was boosted, but now that she's not boosted I only see her occasionally.  That actually says something in and of itself (she's good enough to sub out a 5* occasionally,) but she's not out of whack.  I hope to see more 4*s as good as her, actually.  Medusa probably is on par, and Vulture might be too.

• The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    I instant skip Carol for the same reason I instant skip Red Hulk = Taking high Team Damage is almost a given.

I hate fighting Carol because you can't completely control if/when a cascade will happen that matches your strongest color on your turn, thereby giving her AP.  And if it matches both team's strongest colors, you take heavy team damage too.

With how prevalent Carol is though, it's pretty hard to keep skipping her though.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can play around Carol by bringing a different strongest color user and whatnot, she's annoying for sure but if your strongest color doesnt match, it's not too bad. She also has relatively low health.

Medusa is a different beast, there's not much to do against her besides taking damage while she keeps generating AP and healing, she is much more troublesome.

I don't think Medusa should generate AP or heal when the other team makes matches, that seems too good at this point. Also, her CD shouldnt activate when she's stunned and you match it, that almost feels like a bug.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Carol is fine, as long as your opponent doesn't launch an endless 1-turn CD tile, such as HT Green or Blade3 Black. Then, forget about it.

But in most cases, I beat her first after a few turns and move onto Thanos or the next threat. My favorite is when Carol's green fuels a color that's useless (such as prof x blue), or else it gives her black, but then you finish her off before she can cast her black.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to fear her but not so much anymore. In a Carol vs Carol I'll usually let her have a couple black matches while I hog the yellows since she's giving me blacks anyway. She kills off her team then I'm usually ready to take her out with my black. The last time I fought her she had Loki with her. I needed to do some match 4s so Loki put tiles out. I matched away most of the tiles then Carol fired off her yellow. "Oh **** oh ****! Wait. She doesn't have her black out. What is she doing?" She killed off Loki's tile. Bwahaha. Thanks, Carol.
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    OML was used in 10% of all matches

my guess is Carol is used in 1% or less of all matches
  • Dormammu
    I wasn't claiming that Carol needs a nerf, or that she's hard to fight, or that she's as good as OML... I'm just saying I see her ALL THE TIME. This certainly is aided by the fact that my MMR plants me right in the champed 4* realm of the game.

But again, I realize these things are cyclical. I'm predicting Riri as the next flavor of the month.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    OML was awesome on his own, no matter what teammates he had.
    Carol can be pretty broken with certain combos (my favourite is Wasp+5* Hawkeye, Loki+5*Hawkeye, Coulson, 3* Blade, or Punisher).
    But generally, she is slightly above average.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Probably more like the new Iceman
  • Dormammu
    Probably more like the new Iceman
    Maybe the new Peggy?  :p I see a lot less of her these days.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    veny said:
    OML was awesome on his own, no matter what teammates he had.
    Carol can be pretty broken with certain combos (my favourite is Wasp+5* Hawkeye, Loki+5*Hawkeye, Coulson, 3* Blade, or Punisher).
    But generally, she is slightly above average.
    She makes me hit the skip button faster than the snooze button on Monday mornings.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    One tactic you can use against her is using a team whose strongest colour is a passive or weaker power (and not the same). Then you won't need to worry so much about gathering ap.