I don't want to hoard, I just don't want to waste covers

2»

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been playing this game over 2 years, think it will be 3 years around August/September and in that time I've never had to hoard. For the first time playing I am now in that position as out of the 12 4*s in packs, only 2 I need covers for, so too many covers are getting wasted now. I will now probably need to hoard for around 3 months or so, and that sucks. Its such a boring way to play this game. 

Unless you're finally champing your 4s, that's a problem of your own making, though.
    Champ and you won't have much waste.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    I've been playing this game over 2 years, think it will be 3 years around August/September and in that time I've never had to hoard. For the first time playing I am now in that position as out of the 12 4*s in packs, only 2 I need covers for, so too many covers are getting wasted now. I will now probably need to hoard for around 3 months or so, and that sucks. Its such a boring way to play this game. 

Unless you're finally champing your 4s, that's a problem of your own making, though.
    Champ and you won't have much waste.
    Its still a waste though. A champ level has such minimal value compared to getting the initial 13 covers for characters. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    dramatist said:
    I'm about to face the 14th for a vaulted soon. I promised to champ them all but I think Flaptain will have to wait some more. 

Yeah, I'm having to do the same with Thoress. Got a 14th cover for her, but 2 for Gamora, so Thoress just gets sold. Sucks cause she was the first 4 I ever pulled and one of the longest to get max covered.

Eh, I'll get around to champing her one day then just BH her for that 271 LT.
  • CaptainFosco
    CaptainFosco Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    I've tried hoarding twice. Obviously neither time took. Most recently, I spent 8 legendaries and about 200 CP, saying to myself that I'd stop when I got a cover I didn't need. I didn't hit that condition so I pulled all the way down to zero. I got 7 5* covers in that time, so it went well, but it reminded me that not pulling regularly just sucks. It's all grind, with no instant gratification, and I'm all about the instant gratification. I've been close to quitting since the OML nerf, so not getting the fun of a reward just wasn't helping. 

So I've decided that while it may not be optimal, I'm not hoarding. I'll spend everything as I get it, and sell the Mordo and AV covers, and champ the guys I want to champ. I'm sure I'll eventually end up with all the then latest 12 are champed as I'd say that the character design is getting more interesting as we go along, but ISO seems more valuable than covers these days, so 1000 iso for an Agent Venom is a pretty good deal. 

What they need to do is give everyone another big iso influx. Increase the levelling up bonus by 5k per level, and give everyone the extra for each level they've already achieved. It seems like a long time since something nice happened for us loyal players. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    smkspy said:
    Wasting covers is just a fact of the  game...sooner you embrace it the better your roster will get.
    With vaulting and BH it's legit possible to avoid like 99% of cover waste outside of the 5* teir if you're willing to hoard, patient, and do your homework (plan 3* BH around what you need, frequently change BHs situationally, change your plans based on what becomes available, etc).  If you choose to accept waste that's fine, but every time you do your roster is missing a step and those steps add up.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    smkspy said:
    Wasting covers is just a fact of the  game...sooner you embrace it the better your roster will get.
    With vaulting and BH it's legit possible to avoid like 99% of cover waste outside of the 5* teir if you're willing to hoard, patient, and do your homework (plan 3* BH around what you need, frequently change BHs situationally, change your plans based on what becomes available, etc).  If you choose to accept waste that's fine, but every time you do your roster is missing a step and those steps add up.

OP doesn't want to hoard, but doesn't want to waste covers. Can't have both. 

Personally, I think hoarding just isn't fun. Bad enough we have to game the system with 2 star farms for iso and other rewards, but having to sit on stacks of unopened tokens and CP just so I don't waste a few covers along the way...not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I get hoarding, especially for trying to cover 5s. But selling covers is inevitable along the way. I had to sell 3 star covers during the 3 star champing phase, I've had to sell 4 star covers during the 4 star champing phase. When I reach that inevitable 6th 5 star I'll probably just reroster. 

But for my game, selling those reeds and elektra covers rather than champing them because "waste" also go my iceman, rulk, and hulkbuster covered a lot more quickly because I was avoiding the dilution problem so many complained about by not hoarding.

It may be better today with vaulting, but it's still an aspect of the game in one form or another.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:
    GurlBYE said:
    We've yet to have a single character have their full run as a "latest 12" character. Yet people are regularly champing 4-12 of them within not even a quarter of their lifespan. 

Out of all the problems that vaulting introduced this isn't a huge one. 

But your incentive to open all tokens is actually higher than it was before. People don't want to "waste" covers but they'll just be iso unless you are intent on them all being champ levels. 

Stopping drawing has no logical incentive once you have them all champed unless you'd just rather shoot for the 5 star tier over having a bunch of champ levels before they go. 

A new 4 will be out within the next 2-3 weeks at any given time. So It's just odd. 

The incentive for me is that I would much rather cover/champ Gamora, Vulture, R&G than put champ levels into Carol / Mordo / Coulson.

I realise there is no "waste" in adding champ levels, but compared to adding more use to my roster it does feel "wasted".

If I just keep opening, yes Ill cover and champ that new 4*, but Ill also pour a bunch of covers into existing champs.

If I wait until a few more have rotated out?  THen I have move chance of "meaningful" pulls on those newer characters.

Over time, you are going to get those newer characters covered, and as long as the 12 format remains, you should be able to get them in a reasonable time frame. By hoarding to wait for a new batch, you are missing out on a load of champ levels rewards for the current ones, which really do add up over time, enabling you to get more covers. Also, when boosted the extra base champ levels are noticeable, so I'd feel I was hamstringing my roster if I was following that way.
    (though it depends if you are looking for in your roster - I want to drag people up as far as I can for pvp purposes)

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 said:
    sh81 said:
    GurlBYE said:
    We've yet to have a single character have their full run as a "latest 12" character. Yet people are regularly champing 4-12 of them within not even a quarter of their lifespan. 

But your incentive to open all tokens is actually higher than it was before. People don't want to "waste" covers but they'll just be iso unless you are intent on them all being champ levels. 

Stopping drawing has no logical incentive once you have them all champed unless you'd just rather shoot for the 5 star tier over having a bunch of champ levels before they go. 

A new 4 will be out within the next 2-3 weeks at any given time. So It's just odd. 

The incentive for me is that I would much rather cover/champ Gamora, Vulture, R&G than put champ levels into Carol / Mordo / Coulson.

I realise there is no "waste" in adding champ levels, but compared to adding more use to my roster it does feel "wasted".

If I just keep opening, yes Ill cover and champ that new 4*, but Ill also pour a bunch of covers into existing champs.

If I wait until a few more have rotated out?  THen I have move chance of "meaningful" pulls on those newer characters.

Over time, you are going to get those newer characters covered, and as long as the 12 format remains, you should be able to get them in a reasonable time frame. By hoarding to wait for a new batch, you are missing out on a load of champ levels rewards for the current ones, which really do add up over time, enabling you to get more covers. Also, when boosted the extra base champ levels are noticeable, so I'd feel I was hamstringing my roster if I was following that way.
    (though it depends if you are looking for in your roster - I want to drag people up as far as I can for pvp purposes)

This is short-sited thinking.  In the short-term (the first season you do this) yes that's probably true, but ultimately other than CP and LT you miss from the current 12, you'll be getting those in the next 12.  Ultimately in the long run you'll be pulling more or less the same covers (except for discrepancy between latest and classic obviously), but you will have much fewer (potentially no) wasted covers.  So it's a net gain in the long run.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    CT1888 said:
    sh81 said:
    GurlBYE said:

This is short-sited thinking.  In the short-term (the first season you do this) yes that's probably true, but ultimately other than CP and LT you miss from the current 12, you'll be getting those in the next 12.  Ultimately in the long run you'll be pulling more or less the same covers (except for discrepancy between latest and classic obviously), but you will have much fewer (potentially no) wasted covers.  So it's a net gain in the long run.

In this instance sh81 is looking at champ levels as a bit of a waste vs getting covers for newer characters. Hoarding to let some new ones rotate in then covering them surely will lead to more of the same 3/6 months down the line, where it will be time to wait for another new batch and another hoard, and characters then remaining lower than they could have been, and less effective (for my aims at least).

For me, it's very much part of long term thinking. Get those characters up the champ ladder as high as possible, with the champ rewards from the current batch feeding into themselves and the newer ones as they come through. I kind of see each wave of characters as a platform for the next wave to jump off of - Blade is at 309, maybe Coulson will rotate out at 320, Gamora at 330. I've no idea if that's how it will go, but I'm very much looking forward to finding out.

On top of that, there is that strengthening my roster has had enabled me to remain competative in pvp, and thanks to having a 306 Carol boosted alongside Thanos has made 1200 a reality for the last couple of events (Thanos who was pulled without hoarding); for me, delaying pulling tokens, whether for fear of getting one I couldn't use, or to save them for new characters coming out down the line would've restricted my ability to do this (or delayed it significantly), hamstringing meand my enjoyment of the game. But as I say, it also comes down to people's play style and what they are looking for from the game. Hoarding to prevent waste is the antithesis of my style - selling a couple of covers is short term pain for long term targets.

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's also kinda weird to go on about lacking iso and having stacks and stacks of covers you can't use due to a lack of ISO.

I mean if they have 13 covers, and they are going to be in packs for the next 8 months anyway, thats 1K iso a pop. Not a ton but it's closer to your goals. (they should def be worth more)
  • dstann
    dstann Posts: 55 Match Maker
    You could shift your focus to the latest 12, if you have them all champed then you won't waste any covers when you open tokens because they will add champ levels.