I don't want to hoard, I just don't want to waste covers

dramatist
dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
This is just me ranting a little.  

Early this morning I champed Coulson. Hooray for me, he is champion 27, I'm over halfway now.

I usually don't use Latest or cp while I'm champing someone so that I don't draw a 14th for someone that I won't be able to champion in time. Basically I don't want to waste covers. I didn't immediately use some cp after finishing Coulson because I have to finish 2* Daken and Hawkeye to not have to sell any of the 26 covers I got for them while using Iso on Coulson.

Today I looked and I have 29 Latest Legendaries and 672 cp. That's 62 cover draw potentially. I keep telling myself I'm not hoarding, but that sure looks like I'm hoarding.

I probably get around 40k Iso a day from just playing PvE to progression and dabbling in PvP. So I can champ a 4* in about nine days, maybe a day or two earlier if I have 2*s to sell, a day or two later if I have 2*s to rechamp.

With Coulson champed I only have 6 of the 12 champed with maybe Agent Venom falling out before I champ Cloak & Dagger. Plus I've somehow managed to get to 13 covers on four vaulted 4*s that will be wanting Iso love soon.

I really don't want to hoard, but I feel I'm forced to. We really could use some double Iso events soon!

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Yup.*

* - (this is not a bump, since this is already the top non-sticky post on the forum)
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    I do the same thing to mitigate wasted covers. Hoarding sucks, but its what has to happen since vaulting was implemented.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I don't have that sort of patience, but I also resigned myself to the fact that stuff's gonna get sold if you don't want to pony up money, and I can live with that.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    It gets pretty easy to sell covers of the latest 12, when you know you have a hoard big enough to collect more. You still hate it because it's waste regardless, but you know you have more chances. Now having to cough up a vaulted cover? Man that stings. There are plenty of 3-stars still in tokens that give up vaulted 4-stars, and you can't stop them from getting to 183, 223, etc. You can definitely delay the process of applying the cover to try to get yourself the iso in time, but ultimately cutting yourself off from that character's champ rewards is not a wise decision just because you're not ready to champ the associated 4. The rewards are too nice. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    You shouldn't feel too bad wasting covers anymore, they are so abundant. You could probably pull a good amount and just get champ levels. You are making good iso that you could probably champ 2 in 2 weeks. I have done it before, it was close sometimes, but a shield rank usually gave me enough of a boost. At my worst I had to choose between champing 2 of Agent Venom, Riri, and Cage. So I sold Riri, then champed her a few weeks later.

I have 7 of the 12 champed going in to this season, and opening tokens all season I haven't gotten the 14th cover for any of the 12 not already champed. Only got champ levels and some 5*s. I'm only just "hoarding" from now until next season, mainly because I want to try for Vulture covers.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    It takes me about 12 days for enough iso to champ a four star. I open until I run across someone I dont have champed yet, then I hold off for those 12 days until I can champ. I've accumulated short of 90 latest and about 1900 CP doing that... it kills me not to open them, but I don't want to waste covers either.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's about the only thing you can do.  That was the mode I was in shortly after vaulting.  I've sort of caught up - working on champing C&D, 12 covers for Gamora, Sandman and Vulture have a ways to go.  The rest are champed, so I just keep pulling.  When an unchamped vaulted comes up, I've been selling or not bothering to try to earn them.  The vaulting system limits their use in both the near and far term, so it's not worth spending any Iso on them until all the latest can use covers.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I like hoarding and I hate losing covers.

But the game basically forces players to hoard.  It's especially bad for new players who open a Legendary and gets a 5* and ruins their scaling
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been playing this game over 2 years, think it will be 3 years around August/September and in that time I've never had to hoard. For the first time playing I am now in that position as out of the 12 4*s in packs, only 2 I need covers for, so too many covers are getting wasted now. I will now probably need to hoard for around 3 months or so, and that sucks. Its such a boring way to play this game. 
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Eh. Even before vaulting, I was hoarding CP, because I wasn't going to start working on 4*s until I had all my 3's champed... that was just logical, given how much more plentiful 3*s are, right? And without loads of ISO I didn't have, there was no other way to hold that off.

So, I had a lovely little hoard of 800 CP when I finished that earlier this year (and prior to several changes in rewards, that was quite a bit of collecting), and promptly went on a cover opening spree. And then I had to hold up some since I didn't have enough ISO for all of what I was pulling... but it only held me up a couple of weeks.

I did open LTs just because, well because. I wanted the shiny.

Currently, I hold a reserve of 240 CP, just to leave myself room to champ somebody before their 8 covers expire or something, but otherwise I don't have much of an issue with selling off covers and using the iso to progress whoever I'm working on at the moment.

The thing that used to really grind me was not having enough HP to roster covers I'd won. That felt like such a waste - but HP is so much more plentiful now that I think there's less of an issue with that.

It should also be noted that this message is brought to you by someone who figured out that I had better odds of getting the really good DDQ rewards if I... hoarded all my tokens until I could empty the vault.  :p
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    We've yet to have a single character have their full run as a "latest 12" character. Yet people are regularly champing 4-12 of them within not even a quarter of their lifespan. 

Out of all the problems that vaulting introduced this isn't a huge one. 

But your incentive to open all tokens is actually higher than it was before. People don't want to "waste" covers but they'll just be iso unless you are intent on them all being champ levels. 

Stopping drawing has no logical incentive once you have them all champed unless you'd just rather shoot for the 5 star tier over having a bunch of champ levels before they go. 

A new 4 will be out within the next 2-3 weeks at any given time. So It's just odd. 

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm also pseudo-hoarding, but that's mainly because of an ISO shortage to get my characters up. I just got Iron Fist 4 champed after a few weeks of funneling all of my ISO into him. Up next is my 12-cover Coulson, who is currently at LVL 94. There's probably a 2 million ISO deficit between where my characters are and where they could be if max leveled...and pulling tokens will just exacerbate that problem.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Wasting covers is just a fact of the  game...sooner you embrace it the better your roster will get.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    smkspy said:
    Wasting covers is just a fact of the  game...sooner you embrace it the better your roster will get.
    I don't get upset about it, wasting happens, but still try to avoid it, speaking from a solid 4 star roster
  • KinDM
    KinDM Posts: 72 Match Maker
    What I've found helps: unless it is a very very good vaulted character, or one you absolutely love, always focus your attention on whomever will be in tokens for the longest time. 4* champion rewards get better the higher in level they get, which gives you more CP, which gives more pulls, which gives more covers, etc etc etc. It maximizes your reward for the same output. Especially now when many of the latest 12 are very very good, the strategy seems to be working well for me. It can suck to know that you lost that 14th hard to get cover for a vaulted character, but imho it sucks more to sell 10 covers for a character you know you'll pull more of. 
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I'm about to face the 14th for a vaulted soon. I promised to champ them all but I think Flaptain will have to wait some more. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    I normally spend cp to buy the last cover of my favorite 4* (up to the last 3 covers). after spending my last couple hundred cp for medusa I saved up again and with about 400cp I figured I draw classics instead of buying covers. 
    20 draws later, instead of maxing one or two new characters I have 7 covers for characters which are 5/3/2. 
    the useful covers were riri and mordo, both have none to zero priority. 
    I'm still sitting on 1.5m iso, refusing to max subpar characters. 
    back to buying single covers again, beats random draws by far. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    After champing R&g today, I'm really itching to see what level I can get such new 4 to before they rotate out. 

When it comes to these new characters I don't mind having to sell off the ocasional Iron fist or gamora (sold plenty of blue and black before max covering them).

I did hoard for around when spider woman was leaving packs, but might slightly hoard until after I champ Gamora and Iron Fist. Then I'll have 10 of the 12 champed.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:
    I've been playing this game over 2 years, think it will be 3 years around August/September and in that time I've never had to hoard. For the first time playing I am now in that position as out of the 12 4*s in packs, only 2 I need covers for, so too many covers are getting wasted now. I will now probably need to hoard for around 3 months or so, and that sucks. Its such a boring way to play this game. 
    Im in pretty much the exact same position (day 894).

Ive got 9 of the 12 champed.  2 R&G dying on the vine while looking for that one elusive cover to champ him.

When I finally do so (or lose the ones in the queue) I have to hoard.

Never have done before to this point, but it has become essential now.

I think Ill need to hoard until late November, thats when there will be more uncovered characters in the 12, but at that point we will just have to see how it goes.

I dont think Im built for hoarding, but who knows, maybe Ill get the bug!

I hate hoarding, its so boring. Part of the excitement and appeal of this game was opening tokens. However, with me having so many characters that I dont need covers for, the last month has consisted of mainly dupes that I've had to sell and thats become so regular that the annoyance of it has made me admit defeat and start to hoard. Up to 10 LTs now waiting to be opened.