New player here

LustIV
LustIV Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
hey I’m a new player (beeen playing a little over a month) and I’m just wondering if I’m doing things right.

so I’m close to having most of my 2*s fully covered but my roster is really messy. I have a few 4* a lot of 3* and 2* and 2 1* I never really transitioned into the 3* 4* thing due to my over rolling and recruiting. 

I also purchased vip for the legendary recruit token, was this smart?

in all I just want to know a more efficient way to play this game it feels like what I’m doing isn’t the right things.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't worry about cashing in any CP until you have at least 5 3*s champed.  
    I would roster and champ all 2*s as they are a good resource (sell and rechamp after you max).  
    I would prioritize 3*s over 4*s right now, there will be time to get 4*s later.  
    VIP is definitely worth it especially for an newer roster.
    I wouldn't roster any 5*s until you have at least 5 3*s champed (see top not about CP).
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    To fully participate in all events you will want to eventually have every 2*, 3*, and 4* rostered, that way you won't miss out on any fights with required characters. To that end put all your Hero Points into buying roster slots. 

For 1*s, you only really need a maxed Iron Man or Juggernaut. Either can win the 1* node on the DDQ by themselves. 

For 2*s, get a good team of 3 that can handle the 2 DDQ nodes - I like Mags/Storm/Hawkeye - Mag's Purple feeds Storm's Blue and can create match-5's for Hawkeye. 
    Roster as many of the others as you get covers for them, every PVE event requires 1 and it rotates though all of them (Except Bagman)

For 3* & 4*, roster as many as you can because they will be useful at some point. Focus on leveling your 3*s until you have at least a couple championed covers before pouring too much into your 4*s. Game difficulty is based on your roster level, so they to bring up a group together rather than one maxed and the rest still at level 40.

Ultimately, there's no right or wrong way to do it, just what works for you and your patience level.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    One major thing I learned to my detriment - PVE scaling (how hard your opponents are) is measured by your top 3 characters after buffs have been applied, etc.

So, do not put ANY iso into leveling up your 5* and wait awhile before you even put it into your 4*s. Get your 3* roster good and solid (at least half champed or close to it) before you start trying to make your 4* more powerful to handle to the 4*node.

More notes in another post, but this is important enough that I want to separate it because I've fought through this game on a way harder level than it needed to be because I put some iso into a 5* early and pushed them to the top of my roster for every single event (until recently) even though I couldn't really use them at 1/0/1.

There is a change in the way this works coming, but no idea how long it will be until it happens, so in the meantime... keep those guys low.
  • LustIV
    Thanks for all the advice, animaniactoo said:
    One major thing I learned to my detriment - PVE scaling (how hard your opponents are) is measured by your top 3 characters after buffs have been applied, etc.

So, do not put ANY iso into leveling up your 5* and wait awhile before you even put it into your 4*s. Get your 3* roster good and solid (at least half champed or close to it) before you start trying to make your 4* more powerful to handle to the 4*node.

More notes in another post, but this is important enough that I want to separate it because I've fought through this game on a way harder level than it needed to be because I put some iso into a 5* early and pushed them to the top of my roster for every single event (until recently) even though I couldn't really use them at 1/0/1.

There is a change in the way this works coming, but no idea how long it will be until it happens, so in the meantime... keep those guys low.

• LustIV
    JHawkInc said:

You'll start to max cover your 2*s, Champion them, and they'll be your heavy lifting as you build up more covers of your 3*s. Eventually you'll want to farm your 2*s (get one to max champ level, sell, and start over), because the rewards you get along the way are worth it.

Then you'll work on building up your 3*s and 4*s, 3*s really start to outshine 2*s once you get about 10 covers into them. I would hoard your ISO until then (early on it may seem like you have way too much ISO, but that'll balance out as you get further into the game, and ISO will be the one thing you never have enough of).

One question I have is how to farm 2*.  Most of my 2* are 1-3 covers away from being championed and I can’t find a way to get them. 

Your post was was helpful and I appreciate the time put into writing it thanks :)
  • LustIV
    To fully participate in all events you will want to eventually have every 2*, 3*, and 4* rostered, that way you won't miss out on any fights with required characters. To that end put all your Hero Points into buying roster slots. 

For 1*s, you only really need a maxed Iron Man or Juggernaut. Either can win the 1* node on the DDQ by themselves. 

For 2*s, get a good team of 3 that can handle the 2 DDQ nodes - I like Mags/Storm/Hawkeye - Mag's Purple feeds Storm's Blue and can create match-5's for Hawkeye. 
    Roster as many of the others as you get covers for them, every PVE event requires 1 and it rotates though all of them (Except Bagman)

For 3* & 4*, roster as many as you can because they will be useful at some point. Focus on leveling your 3*s until you have at least a couple championed covers before pouring too much into your 4*s. Game difficulty is based on your roster level, so they to bring up a group together rather than one maxed and the rest still at level 40.

Ultimately, there's no right or wrong way to do it, just what works for you and your patience level.
    thanks for the advice
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards

There are several very useful guides in the Tips section of this board.  They're worth a read, particularly the ones about transitioning.  They're a little out of date, but still applicable.

Based on what you've provided, it sounds like you're doing things "right".  The only thing that will mess up your game right now is rostering a 5*, or leveling a 4*.  Until you're certain you know what you're doing, work from the bottom up.  Level up your 2* until they're champed, then start working on your 3*.  Save all of your hp for roster slots and try to roster everyone in the 3 and 4* tiers.

The place a lot of players get to before they're really comfortable with their ability to progress is to have a roster composed of a single 1* (for DDQ), 3-4 champed 2*, all 3* rostered, working on covering the latest 12 4* in tokens, and one open slot to "rotate" 2* for essential missions in PvE.

Once you've reached that place, it's a lot easier to make decisions about whether and whom you want to invest Iso into, whether you want to put in the effort to farm 2*s, when you want to start the transition to the next tier, etc.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    LustIV said:
    JHawkInc said:

You'll start to max cover your 2*s, Champion them, and they'll be your heavy lifting as you build up more covers of your 3*s. Eventually you'll want to farm your 2*s (get one to max champ level, sell, and start over), because the rewards you get along the way are worth it.

Then you'll work on building up your 3*s and 4*s, 3*s really start to outshine 2*s once you get about 10 covers into them. I would hoard your ISO until then (early on it may seem like you have way too much ISO, but that'll balance out as you get further into the game, and ISO will be the one thing you never have enough of).

One question I have is how to farm 2*.  Most of my 2* are 1-3 covers away from being championed and I can’t find a way to get them. 

Your post was was helpful and I appreciate the time put into writing it thanks :)
    Just keep pulling standard/elite/heroic tokens, and playing as much as you can. You might have to sell off a few Covers here and there, but they will show up eventually. I just last night finally got the third red for my 5/2/5 2* Hawkeye after weeks of waiting, and having to sell off a couple of blue/purple covers, and I've got a 5/5/2 2* Thor sitting around with a bunch of red covers waiting in my queue still. I think this is my third or fourth rotation on Thor, can't really remember. I always seem to have trouble getting one colour or another for him, tho. But they do eventually show up.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    I would roster and champ all 2*s as they are a good resource (sell and rechamp after you max).  
    I wouldn't roster any 5*s until you have at least 5 3*s champed (see top not about CP).
    The 3 5*s maybe a little dramatic, but he is right about the hoarding. Lol. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    FokaiHI said:
    broll said:
    5 3* =/= 3 5* ;)
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Other advice:

1) Play the DDQ every day, as far as you can. You may choose to hoard your tokens for a few weeks so that you can pull 60 times out of one vault and increase your chances of getting better rewards - but that's up to you.

2) Vaulting. Several 3*+ characters are "vaulted" which means you can't get them in elite, heroic, or legendary cover store pulls anymore. All is not lost. They'll come up as progression rewards in PVE, and you'll be able to roster them and start building them from there - you can also set them as bonus heroes, but you need to be really strategic about that. Once you have them rostered, you'll also be able to build them on their day in the DDQ essential character node and Big Enchilada.

3) http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Puzzle_Quest_Wiki - this is an excellent reference for character builds and powers, and it will help you figure out who you want to focus on building.

4) PVP - enter late, play a round or two, enough to get yourself registered as having played in the bracket and then leave it alone. You'll get some small but worthwhile rewards for a little bit of effort. Even poor placement is good placement here when you're a new player.

5) Bonus heroes - strategically, set yourself with a couple of characters you want to roster who you don't have, and set yourself with a couple you have but want to improve. Only set a few at a time so you can maximize your efforts on small goals at a time, and then move on to others when you've achieved those.

6) For 2* & 3* champ at your first opportunity. You get rewards from champ levels added (lists available on the above referenced wiki) which will more than make up for the iso needed to champ them.

Others have covered CP and HP so I won't repeat them. That's about all for now. Oh. Alliances. Have you joined an alliance yet?
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    FokaiHI said:
    broll said:
    5 3* =/= 3 5* ;)
    My bad. 
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

Advice on efficiency:

Tips:

- Favorite 3* strange on the 3* tier and no one else until he is at 13 covers

- Spend HP on roster spots as soon as possible and continue until you have at least 100 (not a joke)

- Do not pull LTs or CP until you have several 3* champions and roster spots available

- Pull all other tokens as soon as possible until strange is at 13 covers, after that stop to pull until you have an open roster spot

- Pick your favorite 1* character (it no longer needs to be IM or Juggs, but they're likely still best) max level them then sell off every other 1* character you have

- When a 2* champion is maxed out, roster a duplicate, max them out (at 144) sell and repeat

- Progress soon becomes based off ISO acquisition rate, not covers or HP, unless youre a big spender then all bets are off.

- consider the value of a $2 pittance purchase vs VIP, both get you bonus node rewards

Strategy:

Ride out 3* Strange's yellow (set it to 5) in PvE, its particularly devastating against goons but works wonders with enemy heroes as well.  Strange is amazing in the 2* -> 3* transition.

Play PvE as much as is fun, if interested in competing for placement prizes you can even at low roster levels, just know optimal play involves hitting each node 4 times in the beginning of the sub as soon as possible, then hitting them 3 times before the end of the sub (for 2 day events add a single hit on each node 24 hours in)

After 3* Strange there are more options: 

- Thanos would be most helpful clearing lightning round seed teams FAST and trivial nodes FAST

- Iron Man 40 would be most helpful in the 4* transition

- Iron Fist, Scarlet Witch, SRSS, KK and now possibly Hawkguy and StarLord are noteworthy 3*s high on my list

PvP will be rough until you get a nice goto team of 3*s, when you do you can attempt to get to 575 points which awards 10 CP per event.

• LustIV
    Other advice:

1) Play the DDQ every day, as far as you can. You may choose to hoard your tokens for a few weeks so that you can pull 60 times out of one vault and increase your chances of getting better rewards - but that's up to you.

2) Vaulting. Several 3*+ characters are "vaulted" which means you can't get them in elite, heroic, or legendary cover store pulls anymore. All is not lost. They'll come up as progression rewards in PVE, and you'll be able to roster them and start building them from there - you can also set them as bonus heroes, but you need to be really strategic about that. Once you have them rostered, you'll also be able to build them on their day in the DDQ essential character node and Big Enchilada.

3) http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Puzzle_Quest_Wiki - this is an excellent reference for character builds and powers, and it will help you figure out who you want to focus on building.

4) PVP - enter late, play a round or two, enough to get yourself registered as having played in the bracket and then leave it alone. You'll get some small but worthwhile rewards for a little bit of effort. Even poor placement is good placement here when you're a new player.

5) Bonus heroes - strategically, set yourself with a couple of characters you want to roster who you don't have, and set yourself with a couple you have but want to improve. Only set a few at a time so you can maximize your efforts on small goals at a time, and then move on to others when you've achieved those.

6) For 2* & 3* champ at your first opportunity. You get rewards from champ levels added (lists available on the above referenced wiki) which will more than make up for the iso needed to champ them.

Others have covered CP and HP so I won't repeat them. That's about all for now. Oh. Alliances. Have you joined an alliance yet?
    I joined an alliance they got me 4 carol danver cover
  • LustIV

Advice on efficiency:

Tips:

- Favorite 3* strange on the 3* tier and no one else until he is at 13 covers

- Spend HP on roster spots as soon as possible and continue until you have at least 100 (not a joke)

- Do not pull LTs or CP until you have several 3* champions and roster spots available

- Pull all other tokens as soon as possible until strange is at 13 covers, after that stop to pull until you have an open roster spot

- Pick your favorite 1* character (it no longer needs to be IM or Juggs, but they're likely still best) max level them then sell off every other 1* character you have

- When a 2* champion is maxed out, roster a duplicate, max them out (at 144) sell and repeat

- Progress soon becomes based off ISO acquisition rate, not covers or HP, unless youre a big spender then all bets are off.

- consider the value of a $2 pittance purchase vs VIP, both get you bonus node rewards

Strategy:

Ride out 3* Strange's yellow (set it to 5) in PvE, its particularly devastating against goons but works wonders with enemy heroes as well.  Strange is amazing in the 2* -> 3* transition.

Play PvE as much as is fun, if interested in competing for placement prizes you can even at low roster levels, just know optimal play involves hitting each node 4 times in the beginning of the sub as soon as possible, then hitting them 3 times before the end of the sub (for 2 day events add a single hit on each node 24 hours in)

After 3* Strange there are more options: 

- Thanos would be most helpful clearing lightning round seed teams FAST and trivial nodes FAST

- Iron Man 40 would be most helpful in the 4* transition

- Iron Fist, Scarlet Witch, SRSS, KK and now possibly Hawkguy and StarLord are noteworthy 3*s high on my list

PvP will be rough until you get a nice goto team of 3*s, when you do you can attempt to get to 575 points which awards 10 CP per event.

I don’t think my level is high enough to do 5 in pve yet. I’m only level 18
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    LustIV said:
    JHawkInc said:

Farming 2*s is a long and slower process, one reason I didn't get into it in my first post, because you're a ways off.

It takes 13 covers to get someone to max level, for all characters, and they have to fit the three available powers (for 2* Thor, 13 reds won't cut it; this you've probably seen already). Once you get 13 covers, you can raise them to max level by spending ISO (different for every rarity level, but 2*s go up to 94). Then, you pay a cost to champion, and each subsequent cover you acquire becomes a single champion level. 2*s can go all the way to 144, which requires 50 additional covers after the first 13. Along the way, each individual champion level gives rewards, at minimum what you'd get for selling the cover (so it's always better to go for a champion level, if possible), often greater ISO, or other rewards, like HP, CP, Heroic Tokens, and designated covers (2* Captain America will give covers for 3* Captain America as he progresses, for example).

Farming, then, is taking long-term advantage of those champion rewards. Once 2* Captain America gets to level 144, he's completely maxed out. Instead of just selling all future 2* Captain America covers, you can sell your level 144 Cap and start over. It costs something like 69k ISO to level them up from 15 to 94 (so you can champion them), and selling a level 144 gets you 65k back, so all the extra rewards for the champion levels makes it a positive gain in the long run.

You'll want to be careful as you get started, because you might be ready to flip and sell a 2* when they're still useful to you, but the further you get into the game, the more you can do without them (I'm at the point that even in an essential node, where a 2* character is required, I can send in other characters and still win easy enough even if my 2* is minimum level with only one cover, so I don't hesitate to flip/sell them).

There are slightly different ways to do it (some people roster a second 2*, and build them up to a full 13 covers before selling the level 144, so they never "do without", and then you can take the ISO from the sale and put it straight into the new one, and some people are like me and will jump from a level 144 to a single cover level 15 as soon as that next cover shows up), but the rewards are valuable enough that you'll benefit from jumping in as soon as you can manage it.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    You'll miss out on a lot of stuff at first, but then you'll eventually do better and better.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    *** @LustIV It may be helpful to check out the Tips and Guides section or the Level and Roster Help section for advice. Lots of helpful players browse those sections.***
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Farming is huge in this game but you won't need to worry about it until your threes are able to carry your team. Also, my strategy for farming them is to get them to 144, then collect their duplicates for two weeks and right before they're about to expire sell your champed 2* and roster it again. This way you should be able to get a decent amount of covers for them and if a new event starts up that has, let's say, Ares as the essential 2* then it's better to have him at 144 while you're collecting dupes than to only have a really weak Ares because you wanted to put some iso and hp in your pocket. 

Don't roster Bag Man until you have a pretty robust roster because when you're new you will need all of the roster spots you can get. And don't worry about 5*s for a while either. Better to fight other 2* players in pvp than to roster a 5* and put a huge target on your back for more experienced players.

Strange and IM40 will be huge for you. Spiderman is also pretty solid now too. Luke Cage and Iron Fist are a blast together as well.