Do you play with the sound off?

Pogo
Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
edited July 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I have a feeling that a lot of phone players play while silenced, especially if playing outside of home, but I'm also curious about settings when playing at home. If you toggle it on and off under different circumstances, vote for your most common setting.

Do you play with the sound off? 211 votes

Yes: I play on mobile and I either mute the game or silence my device.
86%
CFactoKaeyneGuntherBlobelBeast1970CoppsPorkBellyStarfuryGigerHRStanley71KolenceWonko33Yasuruahunter5firethorneFOADakaSquirrelBoyHadronicragnaradyRemoDestroyerkillercoolCubRob 183 votes
Yes: I play on Steam and I mute the game.
7%
TheVulturesinnerjflzulux21rixmithDrNitromanHoutrofrachrDAC169PogoAmsha3garAlsmirauraqandolsJeaulusAcainePalookaville 16 votes
No: I play on mobile and I leave the sound turned on.
4%
Bryan LambertDeNappaKwahderguzktguiAwebermanFelessaCoulson_LivesmckauhubadsajSmellzLiek 10 votes
No: I play on Steam and I leave the sound turned on.
0%
MoosePrimeSt1nkf1st 2 votes

Comments

• Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    I kept the sound at full strength for the first few weeks, then after I got tired of it I dropped it all the way down to about 5%, and eventually muted it entirely. I often tab out of the game because I play it while doing other things, and the single menu track or single battle track repeating endlessly just got tiresome.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    It's game that wants you to play for hours each day yet offers a single song on an endless loop.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    I play with sounds and music turned off; about every six months or so, I'll play a session with them turned on to remind me why. 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    I play a lot at work so having sound down is necessary. But I do keep sound down low at home as well most of the time. Though sometimes I feel the need to hear the hulk growl so turn it up a bit
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play across three devices - iPad Air, iPad mini 2, Android phone
    At work: Sound off
    On the treadmill: sound on
    At my computer: sound on but very low

If a new character has been released I will turn the sound up, to see if there's any new sound effects to accompany their animations.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play with sound only when I have squirrel girl on my team and I use her green. Then I turn it right back off.
  • AngryGerman
    AngryGerman Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Where's the "Sound? What sound?" option? I literally couldn't tell you what the music in game sounds like. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    To the bewilderment of everyone including myself, I played with the sound for like 6 months before realizing "wait, I have spotify on this thing, what am I doing to myself"
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sound off since day one
  • Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    This game has sound?
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I played with the sound on, I wouldn't be welcome in my own home. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pretty much always have music or a tv show or something on at the same time, so the game's sound stays off. Tho it sounds like I maybe should turn it on next time I run Squirrel Girl ;)
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    In most games there's some sort of dumb music, that I turn off as a knee jerk reaction without even thinking.  It wasn't until I installed Steam (just to check it out) that I even noticed there was sound.

And that awful noise of tiles crashing would get on my nerves in about 7 seconds.  I can't even imagine enduring all 7 billion animations with sound effects as well... NO.

ETA:  Oh and you know you can just cut the sound off in the settings, you don't have to mute your device, right?
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    I pretty much keep it off now just to lazy to turn it on lol
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    "Yes: I play on Steam and I mute the game."

But not always - if I'm playing while watching something else, MPQ is muted.
    If I'm playing while 'playing' Final fantasy Mobius (it has an auto-battle mode that just requires clicking between matches), I have MPQ audio on.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I was playing the reason I muted the game sound was because when my wife called me I would put her on speaker phone while I still played and I didn't want her to hear me playing the game lol
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    I turned the sound off when I initially installed the game. I genuinely don't know what the sound effects are. 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    No: I play on Steam and I leave the sound turned on.
    I keep the sound very quiet, but it's on. It feels too empty without hearing the pieces drop on the board.
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Yes and I usually am listening to Pandora or have a show (AHS, The Clone Wars, etc) playing for background noise.
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    I'm actually surprised the sound level settings will also sync across devices.