Strategies for fully covering a 5/5/2

Options
2»

Comments

• cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Rod5 said:
    Question - Which 4s are we talking about here? If it's a Peggy or an Iceman etc then buy, if it's a Falcap or Miles then wait till the cover comes around somehow. If it's a Latest ditto.
    Right now Gwenpool and Wasp for vaulted (Peggy was on the list until they changed Psylocke's champ rewards).  In tokens it's Gamora, Riri and C&D.  Out of that list Wasp and C&D are the one's I really want to champ.  Based on everyone's advice I'll:

BH Wasp, spend CP when/if I get a dupe.
    Wait patiently for C&D and spend CP if I get a dupe.
    I'll BH Shulk and get Gwenpool fully covered at 183 that way, luckily.

Thanks to all for the advice, it's very much appreciated.

These kind of threads are why I love this forum.  Cheers!

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have several in the same boat also.  What I've been doing so far is:
    1.  Is there a 3* that will reward the cover you need?  If so mark them as a favorite to get to that cover sooner.
    2.  Be patient and wait for them to be featured or come available in a vault.  I at this point save all my tokens every event unless the vault's 4*s have covers I really need.  That way when those covers come up I have 10-30 (typically) tries available to try and get that cover (then HP on top of that if needed).
    3.  If I get to point where I'm going to have sell an uusable cover for that cover I then mark them as a BH and hope for the best in those 2 weeks. If I were unable to get it in the 2 weeks I would buy the cover for CP at the last possible moment (out of 4 of these scenarios I haven't had to buy a cover with CP yet)
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As a person who's tried the Bonus Hero route, and more often than not gotten one of the powers I already have 5 covers in, I'd say it's not worth it. Just go ahead and spend the CP. Look at the 4-star prediction/rotation schedule first to make sure that the color you need isn't coming up in progression for sure, but outside of that I don't see the point in being frugal with your CP. The game dishes out more than enough of it for you to build a nice hoard when you want, so there's no need to feel like you're giving up some precious resource that you won't get back. People act like spending CP on direct covers is some kind of cardinal sin, and I don't get it. 
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't really pay attention unless I have a cover dying.
    Last time it happened with Elektra, and I got her last color in the resupply just after the cover died, so I never bothered champing her.
    Now I got a Starlord yellow that I got yesterday in the resupply. I knew it was coming so I've had Starlord as my 3star bonus hero since I knew it gave red at 183, that is easier to reach than Gamora's red Starlord reward. I haven't reached the cover yet but Starlord has already surpassed some older champions in level.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options

So, I feel like I have a pretty algorithmic approach to managing my covers now...  The short answer is that for a 5/5/3 cover I will pay the 120 CP if its retired, and I will pull classics if its part of the token 12....

In trying to answer the question I wrote down my cover management process...   its probably full of typos, but I think it looks like this:

Do I have a cover on the vine:  No: GoTo 1; Yes: GoTo 3

1:  Do I have the next 6 token 12 heroes to leave covered:  No: pull Classic; Yes: Goto 2

2:  Do I have 300 LL pulls and 3Million+ ISO:  No: Hoard; Yes: PULL THE HOARD

3:  Do I have enough ISO to champion all covers on the vine:  No: GoTo 4; Yes: GoTo 15

4:  Is a cover on the vine expiring today:  No: Wait; Yes: GoTo 5

5:  Rank covers on the vine using the criteria below, is the cover about to expire the highest priority cover: No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 6

6:  Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 13 covers: No: GoTo 7; Yes: GoTo 14

7:  Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 12 covers: No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 8

8:  Is there only one cover on the vine:  No: GoTo 9; Yes: GoTo 10

9:  Is the next highest priority cover an exact duplicate: No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 10

10: Is the cover worth selling level 144 2*s to champion:  No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 11

11:  Is the cover for a token 12 hero:  No: Spend 120 CP to cover, Sell enough 2*s to champion and apply cover; Yes: Goto 12

12: Pull Classics until one of the following happens: Pull missing cover: Champ and apply cover; Pull unusable cover: GoTo 13; Out of CP: Sell

13: Is the pulled cover for a hero with 13 covers: No: GoTo 12; Yes: Sell cover about to expire and stop

14: Is the cover worth selling level 144 2*s to champion:  No: Sell; Yes: Sell enough 2*s to champion and apply cover;

15: Rank covers on the vine using the criteria below, Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 13 covers: No: GoTo 16; Yes: Champ, apply cover and if any covers on vine remain GoTo 15

16: Is a cover on the vine expiring today:  No: Wait; Yes: GoTo 17

17: Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 12 covers: No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 18

18: Is the cover for a token 12 hero:  No: Spend 120 CP to cover, champion and apply cover; Yes: Goto 19

19: Pull Classics until one of the following happens: Pull missing cover: Champ and apply cover; Pull unusable cover: GoTo 20; Out of CP: Sell

20: Rank covers on the vine using the criteria below, Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 13 covers: No: GoTo 16; Yes: GoTo 3

Sorting Criteria: Sort by least time left until expires with the following rule: A cover for a hero with less covers applied must be LOWER on the priority list than a cover for a hero with more covers applied.

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Build a second onefrom duplicates and promote + champion the first one as quicky as possible :D
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Before the vaulting thing, I made sure to have 120CP at all times.

That way if a 5/5/2 or similar combination character got a cover that couldn't be used, I'd pour all of my ISO funds into them and if I made the 2 week deadline I'd buy the last cover with the CP and champ them.

Feels bad letting a 4* cover go to waste.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Try to see when if a 3 star feeder is giving that color soon.  15 more Mystique covers until i finish my 5/5/2 Iceman!
  • cpeyton3535
    Options
    Try to see when if a 3 star feeder is giving that color soon.  15 more Mystique covers until i finish my 5/5/2 Iceman!
    My 0/1/2 Iceman is jealous.  The 3* BH is definitely a mechanism I've been using.  No help for some of the newer 4*s like C&D (yet?), but I'll champ Vision soon and BH him just to get my Wasp cover.
  • cpeyton3535
    Options

So, I feel like I have a pretty algorithmic approach to managing my covers now...  The short answer is that for a 5/5/3 cover I will pay the 120 CP if its retired, and I will pull classics if its part of the token 12....

In trying to answer the question I wrote down my cover management process...   its probably full of typos, but I think it looks like this:

1:  Do I have the next 6 token 12 heroes to leave covered:  No: pull Classic; Yes: Goto 2

3:  Do I have enough ISO to champion all covers on the vine:  No: GoTo 4; Yes: GoTo 15

5:  Rank covers on the vine using the criteria below, is the cover about to expire the highest priority cover: No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 6

6:  Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 13 covers: No: GoTo 7; Yes: GoTo 14

7:  Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 12 covers: No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 8

9:  Is the next highest priority cover an exact duplicate: No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 10

10: Is the cover worth selling level 144 2*s to champion:  No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 11

11:  Is the cover for a token 12 hero:  No: Spend 120 CP to cover, Sell enough 2*s to champion and apply cover; Yes: Goto 12

12: Pull Classics until one of the following happens: Pull missing cover: Champ and apply cover; Pull unusable cover: GoTo 13; Out of CP: Sell

13: Is the pulled cover for a hero with 13 covers: No: GoTo 12; Yes: Sell cover about to expire and stop

14: Is the cover worth selling level 144 2*s to champion:  No: Sell; Yes: Sell enough 2*s to champion and apply cover;

15: Rank covers on the vine using the criteria below, Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 13 covers: No: GoTo 16; Yes: Champ, apply cover and if any covers on vine remain GoTo 15

17: Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 12 covers: No: Sell; Yes: GoTo 18

18: Is the cover for a token 12 hero:  No: Spend 120 CP to cover, champion and apply cover; Yes: Goto 19

19: Pull Classics until one of the following happens: Pull missing cover: Champ and apply cover; Pull unusable cover: GoTo 20; Out of CP: Sell

20: Rank covers on the vine using the criteria below, Is the highest priority cover for a hero with 13 covers: No: GoTo 16; Yes: GoTo 3

Sorting Criteria: Sort by least time left until expires with the following rule: A cover for a hero with less covers applied must be LOWER on the priority list than a cover for a hero with more covers applied.

Positively clinical!  I confess I've put this in a spreadsheet to mull over.  Thanks for the time and effort you put into documenting your approach for the rest of us!
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options

Positively clinical!  I confess I've put this in a spreadsheet to mull over.  Thanks for the time and effort you put into documenting your approach for the rest of us!

Tell me where I screwed up (and thank you), cause I'm sure I didn't get it completely right the first go through, but the idea of how I prioritize should be able to be seen... 
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm actually just dipping my toe into this torment. I'm on the verge of my first 4-star Champion (Cyclops). He's at 5/4/3, and my lv182 3-star is about to change that to 6/4/3. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to spend the 120 CP, since my play style doesn't bring in 4-star covers at a very fast pace. I'll have accumulated another 120 CP long before I get my 3-star champ up to lv 223.