Strategies for fully covering a 5/5/2

Options
cpeyton3535
cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
So I have several 4*s at the moment that are 5/5/2 and I'm trying to decide how to go about getting that last cover given that the odds are stacked against me every pull.  Got me wondering about how others would tackle the problem.

I'm leaning towards just spending the 120 CP when I'm ready to part with it but curious to know if there are other viable strategies.  

What would you do????

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally I just move to the next and wait until I can earn them in an event of some kind. A level 250 4 star is still serviceable. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also for 120 cp I'd rather roll the dice on 6 classic LTs and hope to pull a bonus hero. 
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Personally I just move to the next and wait until I can earn them in an event of some kind. A level 250 4 star is still serviceable. 
    Good point.  I've been reluctant to spend ISO on anything other than champing lately, but now I'm rethinking that approach.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If the character is vaulted, you set it as your BH (one at a time). If it's in the pool, you keep pulling until you get it. It really depends on your goal.

The real factor might be how many you have champed in the current pool. Say you pull 3 usable covers, do you have 1,000,000 ISO to cover them over 2 weeks. I personally work to champ one at a time. I don't like the waste, but it's unavoidable sometimes. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My strategy has always been to get an extra cover, then in the next two weeks I save up as much iso as possible and make sure that I won't need to champ any 2s for my farm. I use every opportunity to get as many heroics and legendaries as possible and then on the day that the cover is expiring I wouldn't mind using 120cp on the character if I was unable to get the one I needed from a heroic, legendary or bonus hero. Sure, I could just spend 20cp and get the exact cover that I need but the odds of that happening are so low so I'd rather take the guaranteed cover that I need. Besides, raising cp has never been too difficult for me so I'm usually swimming in it anyway.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For 4*, I would just wait till they are the pve rewards. Try to get them from placement rewards.  For classic 5*, I might spend 720 on 5/5/2 but nothing on 5/5/1 or 0. 
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What I've been doing is buddy listing three stars that are getting somewhat close to giving me the champ reward for the cover I need.  It's a slow process, but you will get there.

I just realized after doing some testing (which could totally just be random - who knows) that you seem to get much more buddy heroes for covers that aren't vaulted, so maybe keep that in mind for your decision.

Progression rewards for PVE and PVP are you next best option, and also trying to look ahead and see if there is a crash coming up with the hero cover that you need that you can buy at the Hero for Hire store.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If we're talking about 3 or 4*s, just buy it if you really want it. The idea of never spending and CmdPts on a cover is a silly rule and is sillier in light of vaulting. I wouldn't do it for a 5/5/0 or 5/5/1 character, but CmdPts come fast enough currently that you have it in a week and then you get a guaranteed cover.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Depends on the character for me.  If it's a 4* latest 12, just wait it out and you'll get it soon enough.  If it's a top tier vaulted 4*, then it may be worth spending 120 CP, although I've never done it.  For most vaulted 4*, just wait until it's a PVE or PVP reward and hit that event hard.  If you have HP and it comes up in HFH or another vault, then buy it out.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I pray and wait for months or years. That's how I finally went from 5/2/5 to championed for my OML and phx. I had to throw away probably 10 useless dupes for eaxh.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just went through this after HfH got my Peggy to 5/5/2 (or 5/2/5, can't remember now).  They shut that store down so I was left with :

BH seems like a poor option.  4* BH are rare (at least for me, only 3 since it started).  Add to this you have a 66% chance of getting a cover you can not use.   As someone who sold 10 red Peggy covers, it would have infuriated me to have that happen.

PVE and PVP placement is an option if you already have a fully filled out 4* roster and the reward is the one character and one color you need.  This is not an option for me as I do not have many 4* rosters.   I can't get very far passed 600 points on a good day before being beaten down in PVP.   PVE placement would require speed (4 and 5* rosters help) and supreme optimal play.  Won't happen on my schedule.

PVE and/or PVP progression.  This is what requires so much waiting.  You will have to wait until it is offered as a reward and hopefully they offer the color you need.  Different color?  Keep waiting.   PVP progression is just as hard (and impossible for me) as PVP placement.  It isn't even a consideration.

120 CP.  6 pulls at other more recent 4*.  OR you finish that character and champ them and rearrange their powers how you see fit.

I finally bit the bullet and spent the CP.  There really was no other option.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Depends how good the character will be to your roster. Normally I would say to wait it out. The cover will come eventually (in pve, pvp at 900, champion rewards, pulling cp hoard etc). Though in saying that I did spend 240cp to finish and champion Coulson (when I had 2 dupe covers expiring). Why? Because I got my first 5* championed and hawkeye really struggle without Coulson to beat those 2-3x championed 5* teams. 
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Question - Which 4s are we talking about here? If it's a Peggy or an Iceman etc then buy, if it's a Falcap or Miles then wait till the cover comes around somehow. If it's a Latest ditto.
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As @BlackWidower mentioned I, too, BH the appropriate 3* on the basis it has the color I need in such situations. 
    If not you can always wait a scant 2 years~ for the amazing revamped HfH to have the cover you need.

PS if you can't tell I'm still quite annoyed about the HfH nerf.
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I just say to hell with it and buy the darn cover with CP.  

I don't like rolling the dice and wasting covers, especially with vaulted characters.

I wound up with 3 extra covers for my 5/5/2 Riri during a token hoard pull, so I just bit the bullet and spent the 120 CP.  It really doesn't take that long to get 120, and the way I see it I'm not spending 120 for just a cover, I'm spending 120 CP for a cover and to save 60 CP worth of covers (3 covers * 20CP, which would be wasted if I just sold them off for ISO, rather than apply them to a champion).

I have a 5/5/2 Hulkbuster I need to get the last cover for before my IM40 hits level 265.  I don't want to waste that champion rewards cover for a vaulted character.  Plus, I have to hoard a bunch anyway with 2 "token 12" characters currently sitting at 13 covers.  May as well put that CP to good use now.

Edit: Ultimately I do the math like this - how many covers of a 5/5/2 am I willing to waste (i.e. sell for 1000 ISO) by rolling the dice and praying I get the one cover I need?  For me, that number is 0.  It happens of course, but I avoid losing covers if I can help it.  It's all a matter of perspective, and nobody is "right" in it, imo.
  • Deathjester666
    Deathjester666 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Never mind I managed to find the answer to my question shortly after posting it. 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Find the 3* that awards the cover for the character you need to get covers for and make them the bonus hero 

Bonus Hero's seem to come through a lot more often than when it was first released 

I usually build up about 50 standard and elite tokens and then open them 

I get at least two or three bonuses from that 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just wait out vaulted characters. Currently have about 6 of them at 12 covers now. Worst case is my 5/1/5 X23. She's never getting finished unless I spend the cp.

But then others: Bucky,Spidergwen, kate, and moon knight...I'll finish them one day. No hurry when I've got 30 other 4 star champs.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For a current token 12, I would save up 120 CP and then pull classics for every 20 cp I got after that.  Wait until your first cover's about to expire then spend the 120 if you have to.

For vaulted characters, I've just got them selected as bonus heroes.  If/when I pull dupes I sell them off.  I'd spend the CP if it were a character I desperately wanted to champ, but every character in my roster with that situation is mid to low tier.