Gameplay speed poll

udonomefoo
udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Just wanted to gauge where the forum stands on game speed.  Use comments to detail which parts you'd like to be faster or slower.

Personally, I've always wished the game was faster, but the EoTS event really reminded me how slow it can be.  With Medusa on my side and "turn to smoke" on almost every enemy team, I spent a LOT of time staring at slowly rising damage numbers from attack tiles.  If I had to pick just one thing to speed up it would be attack tile damage.  Ideally, I'd have it all go faster.

Gameplay speed poll 138 votes

Pump the brakes - it's already too fast
0%
acescracked 1 vote
It's perfect as it is
3%
Wonko33rixmithValekBossBerserk_Alrastafari7 5 votes
I'd like it a little faster, but not much
42%
PuceMooseGuntherBlobelDragon_NexusKolenceChrono_TataDartmaster01MaskedManejmusJoritneodukeswordfishdataalaethPongieBlindman13Nepentherdvargas1PessiPiro_plockheybubDeadsider 58 votes
Crank it to 11 please!
53%
StarfuryYasurusinnerjflfirethorneInfraredkillercoolnonnelDapperChewieJexmanElauricshmoliMagicgrunth13TiggidaferaldayornorthnorthfrachrStax the FoyerMPQ_Kerbxidragonxi 74 votes

Comments

• MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Crank it to 11 please!

The option to disable animations would make it quite a bit faster...   failing that a list of fastest heroes would be very interesting... 

Some explicitly slow the flow down with conditional skills, some seem to cause tile matching and damage processing to go slower despite not having any skills triggered...  I'd definitely consider this type of speed as a factor when building teams.

• MissChinch
    Crank it to 11 please!
    broll said:
    Honestly I think the speed is fine.  The only reason most of us care about speed is how tied everything in this game is to timing and speed.  THAT'S what needs to be fixed IMO.

True, but I think it was Kaecilius (sp?) recently that didn't have much load on matches, it moved pretty much at the speed I was matching, was pretty fun honestly...  

If the rest of the game moved at that pace I would do a LOT worse...   it was easy to take 5 turns without any thought...

• animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Agreed with broll above me - in the main, the speed of matches is fine, even with medusa/strange animations, probably because their powers increase the speed of the match greatly for me when playing against goons and such.

Mostly what gets me is having to click through 99 "and this" "and then this" screens after a match while I just want to get back in and get the next round started before I'm between train stations and don't have access again.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I think I'd like it a lot faster but probably need to see how it is at a little faster first, to be sure. I liked some of the ideas posted before me. I've got one to add (that I think will never happen): turn off Goon animations after Shield Rank 50 or something. I already know what the Goons are going to do. I don't want to spend all day waiting on Turn to Smoke.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    just how they removed the info screen after you saw it once on events maybe they could stop showing multiple power uses in the same fight. I don't need to see Dales slash me 4 times in a fight.
  • MissChinch
    Crank it to 11 please!
    Beer40 said:
    I think I'd like it a lot faster but probably need to see how it is at a little faster first, to be sure. I liked some of the ideas posted before me. I've got one to add (that I think will never happen): turn off Goon animations after Shield Rank 50 or something. I already know what the Goons are going to do. I don't want to spend all day waiting on Turn to Smoke.

I erased it after typing it out originally, but along the lines of making animations toggle-able at a certain CLS level, they could also make it a VIP feature which would be awful IMO, basically pay gate placement rewards...
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Crank it to 11 please!
    Speed affects placement for sure but it also is a gate for people to just get progression as you only have so much time on your hand. I'm in 5* land and the one sub in EOTS took me 1 hour 45 min to grind. After that I stopped caring as much and didn't do full optimal play through's of subs
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Crank it to 11 please!
    I would *LOVE* an option to turn off animations. That's all.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Crank it to 11 please!

The option to disable animations would make it quite a bit faster...   failing that a list of fastest heroes would be very interesting... 

Some explicitly slow the flow down with conditional skills, some seem to cause tile matching and damage processing to go slower despite not having any skills triggered...  I'd definitely consider this type of speed as a factor when building teams.

Yes, yes, yes.  I am so sick of the animations.  i really wish there was a way to turn them off like the sound (used it once).  I don't know how many times I sit there with my finger trying to just make my turn while seventeen animations have to finish.  It's really frustrating.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Boss Carnage is really annoying in this regard. If I don't drop him fast enough, it starts feeling like I have time to go play a whole round of something else and it still won't be my turn again when I get back.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with the OP on the attack tiles. I don't think that they need to daintily float toward the top of the screen, as if a sweetly-scented zephyr has caught them and is gently wafting them upward. We're in the middle of a battle! Have the game pulse the attack tiles with a little highlight/"grow" effect at the end of the turn, so new players know what's causing them to lose health. 

• Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    They already eliminated duplicate animations when the same ability was repeating. If they won't turn them off completely, maybe only do any animation once per match?
    I like to use 4* Starlord and Dr. Strange in the DDQ Big Enchilada match, but every time a goon creates a tile I have to watch both of their animations back-to-back.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Crank it to 11 please!
    Looking back on the Peggy PVP, we just had.  Two Peggys together just adds so much unnecessary delay to the beginning of the game, while we (apparently) need excessive acknowledgement that Peg's yellow is activated.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crank it to 11 please!
    Too many banners, too many passives, too many animations, too much time wasted when goons lay a CD down and the board freezes for 5 seconds etc...

I dont care about any of it, could go by faster and nothing would be lost. The game used to be significantly faster, at some point they slowed everything down and it hasnt changed.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crank it to 11 please!
    Attack tiles are the worst, my stomach churns when I have to watch them slowly float away :smiley:
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Crank it to 11 please!
    Reduce delay before adding Attack tile damage. If it's a matter of making sure the player doesn't miss seeing the cause and magnitude of the damage, leave the damage value visible (greyed out) through the subsequent turn.

Allow option to replace animations with 1 static image per power, visible only during the power banner. Possibly also allow option to remove the power art altogether and only display the banners to minimize obstruction of view.

Depending on how much faster the game goes after those changes, maybe also reduce the delay before the enemy makes a match (maybe with an even more conspicuous indication of which tiles are being swapped, just to make it pop more)

I would probably spend more time playing if I knew less of my time would be wasted.
  • shmoli
    shmoli Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Crank it to 11 please!
    If i could take my 2-4 hours a day of play time down to 1-2 hours and still play the same amount, that would be amazing.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    The only time the animations annoy me is when I'm "breaking at the end"... the last 5 minutes of an event, trying to get 2 fights in ASAP without buring a shield.

Every.
    Single.
    Animation.
    Is.
    So.
    Slow!

Overall - I think the animations add to the appeal.. but some can be tweaked faster (or less spammy) -
    Beast Blue
    Medusa's passives

Remove them and it's just another match-3 game.  Some of the newer ones are awesome (Cloak & Dagger in particular is extremely well done).
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Crank it to 11 please!
    Cap passive animations at 0.5 sec (Medusa doesn't need to stand there so long, C4ge doesn't need those last two bullets, Carnage doesn't need the first part of his animation, Strange is OK), and active animations at 1 sec (Beast blue, Doom black are the worst for me).

If you can then figure out how to make all matches/cascades move at 3*Storm/Kaecilius pace, me love you long time.