Colorless Covers

2»

Comments

• MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

Completely obviated by hoarding... 

You don't have to become a manic hoarder, but keeping some CP on hand is a very very useful thing.  Its like money in the bank for a rainy day that completely solves all but the edge cases of 5/0/0 and 5/5/0 which don't happen much now that they're liberal about giving progression covers and actually obtainable rewards for new heroes...

I feel for the OP, but don't loose sight of the fact that we've had a solution to this issue for quite some time...  Getting perfect color distribution on your covers just means you get em cheaper, that's usually not the case in my experience.

(and if you do want to go a little harder with the hoarding you can often pull yourself out of these issues by pulling more covers, getting the missing covers with 20 or 25 CP instead of 120... even if you burn a cover or two you're way ahead with all the extra covers you get this way...   and if you don't like burning a cover, more hoarding solves that too... hoard your iso.)

• Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    JHawkInc said:
    The game is designed around the possibility of acquiring "useless" covers, covers that are of a color you cannot use to improve a character because that power is at max level. Creating colorless covers will remove that possibility, increasing the rate at which rosters develop across the board. They're stingy with giving out freebies and increased rewards for good reason, because screwing with the rates at which we advance and progress can break the game.

I honestly don't see colorless covers happening, any more than a token with guaranteed 5*s or SCL 9/10 that gives guaranteed 5*s at the top end of placement in PVE/PVP.

The reality is that these things can break the flow of resources in the game, and that flow is delicately balanced to encourage spending by players, because that's how the game makes money.

People act like these things are "no brainers" that the devs are foolish for not implementing, when implementing them would likely decrease player spending, which can literally kill the game
    Decrease player spending? The whales of this game do not buy to pull the 13th color of a four star. It's also not a "freebie". It's a cover you earned. Allowing customers to utilize the content they have earned won't break the game.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just want to point out how ridiculously antiquated the system is. I'm not the first to note that it's more than a bit silly that color only matters for the first 13 of 113 covers you can make use of for a character. Time to overhaul the system, yo!
    It's not even the full first 13; the first 5 don't matter either. It's the 8 after that that matter, and then never again. 
  • MissChinch
    Qubort said:
    JHawkInc said:
    The game is designed around the possibility of acquiring "useless" covers, covers that are of a color you cannot use to improve a character because that power is at max level. Creating colorless covers will remove that possibility, increasing the rate at which rosters develop across the board. They're stingy with giving out freebies and increased rewards for good reason, because screwing with the rates at which we advance and progress can break the game.

I honestly don't see colorless covers happening, any more than a token with guaranteed 5*s or SCL 9/10 that gives guaranteed 5*s at the top end of placement in PVE/PVP.

The reality is that these things can break the flow of resources in the game, and that flow is delicately balanced to encourage spending by players, because that's how the game makes money.

People act like these things are "no brainers" that the devs are foolish for not implementing, when implementing them would likely decrease player spending, which can literally kill the game
    Decrease player spending? The whales of this game do not buy to pull the 13th color of a four star. It's also not a "freebie". It's a cover you earned. Allowing customers to utilize the content they have earned won't break the game.

Don't underestimate impulse uses of CP to get power levels, or impulse buys of said CP...  its a large userbase, removing the CP sink of 720 CP per 5* level, 120 CP per 4* or even 20CP for a 3* would definitely be impactful.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler

Qubort said:
    JHawkInc said:

Don't underestimate impulse uses of CP to get power levels, or impulse buys of said CP...  its a large userbase, removing the CP sink of 720 CP per 5* level, 120 CP per 4* or even 20CP for a 3* would definitely be impactful.

How impulsive is it if you have to find a buyers club? If you're willing to drop $100 to get one 4star, you're already dropping enough money on the game to not be worried about a 5/5/1 situation.
  • MissChinch
    Qubort said:

Qubort said:
    JHawkInc said:

How impulsive is it if you have to find a buyers club? If you're willing to drop $100 to get one 4star, you're already dropping enough money on the game to not be worried about a 5/5/1 situation.

I'm willing to bet that D3/Demi would be of the opinion that more money is better...   If you have a player like you said willing to pay money to cover a 4* because he has a cover about to expire, if you just let him use the cover instead of buying one D3/Demi is out money.

They just completely re-vamped the HfH store for financial reasons, it was being used with HP and was a more efficient way to convert HP -> ISO so they whacked it...   If the HfH store was a big enough impact to quickly change then colorless covers would be some kinda emergency...  

Anything D3/Demi does that impacts flow or use of resources impacts their bottom line, even if you don't believe it impacts your personal game spending.

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the best alternative to colorless colors is to allow users to buy the color they don't have with cp. 120 cp for a color you have and then maybe 150-200 for the one you need.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    lol i had to sell 14 red oml and 10 red phx so my violin scoffs at things that are not in ur que