Colorless Covers

Hendross
Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
I just wanted to vent/rant/highlight how bad the system is.

My Medusa is currently at 5 yellow /1 red /5 purple (5/1/5)

What a great time to finish one of the current top 4 stars.  However,
  • Enemy of the State is offering 2 useless covers; 1 Purple and 1 Yellow in progress
  • Enemy of the State vault has 1 useless Yellow
  • Taco Vault: Savory has a third useless Yellow
  • Heros for Hire has a useless Purple for 5 contiguous days.
Anyways, there are hundreds of proposed solutions already so no need to re-post here.  I just thought this week was uniquely sucky.

TL;DR Frustrated by color lock out at every turn.

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    240 CP makes all of those useless covers into champ levels if you pull/buy them.  

I would love to see more options open up for the times when you don't have the initial cover to be able to direct buy with CP though.  
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hendross said:
    I just wanted to vent/rant/highlight how bad the system is.

My Medusa is currently at 5 yellow /1 red /5 purple (5/1/5)

What a great time to finish one of the current top 4 stars.  However,
    • Enemy of the State is offering 2 useless covers; 1 Purple and 1 Yellow in progress
    • Enemy of the State vault has 1 useless Yellow
    • Taco Vault: Savory has a third useless Yellow
    • Heros for Hire has a useless Purple for 5 contiguous days.
    Anyways, there are hundreds of proposed solutions already so no need to re-post here.  I just thought this week was uniquely sucky.

TL;DR Frustrated by color lock out at every turn.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

I'm not disagreeing with you either, and I sympathize with the frustration.

I'm looking at likely getting yellow and black covers for Cloak and Dagger from placement in EotS. Normally, the next event would have another yellow in progression, which would make them an organic 5/5/3. But the boss event will likely throw a wrench into that happening.
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    This place direly needs a search function.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    This place direly needs a search function.
    +1 for the developers and decision makers
  • newton999
    newton999 Posts: 34 Just Dropped In

Spending 240 CP to cover Medusa 40 days ago is the best idea since spending 120 CP to cover Iceman a long time ago.

Look at the team in Simulator. Medusa is everywhere ! Join us ^^!

• Deathjester666
    Deathjester666 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    That's weird. My enemy of the state has a red Medusa reward and my taco vault also has a red Medusa reward. 
  • DarthDeVo
    That's weird. My enemy of the state has a red Medusa reward and my taco vault also has a red Medusa reward. 
     Individual players have different rewards in their vault. So in an event like EotS, everyone will have one Medusa cover and some Blade and 2* Cap covers, along with a mix of 2*, 3* and 4* covers. But, the colors for each player can be all across the board, and those additional covers are different as well. 

For instance, just at the 4* level my EotS vault is yellow Medusa, red Hulkbuster and purple Gwenpool. I'd wager yours is something entirely different. 
  • Deathjester666
    I never knew that. Always thought everyone had the same. Good to know :) 
  • DarthDeVo
    edited July 2017
    I thought vaults were identical for the longest time too. It wasn't until I started noticing on some screenshots people would post that their vault was different from mine, and I think someone explained that event vaults were different for everyone. 
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    My Medusa is also at 5/1/5 and I have 2 covers dying on the vine. I feel ya...

I also didn't know the vaults are different for each player. Why is that and how does the game choose which vault to show you?
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    @Random.

Best thing to do is set your 4* bonus hero to Medusa, and pull 4* covers with CP/LTs.

Or you can do what I've been doing for the past year or so... create dupe characters for the covers you can't use. They'll be sitting there for like forever, but when it comes time to dupe them, you don't need as many covers to do so.

It's a waste to sell 4/5* covers.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just want to point out how ridiculously antiquated the system is. I'm not the first to note that it's more than a bit silly that color only matters for the first 13 of 113 covers you can make use of for a character. Time to overhaul the system, yo!
  • Deathjester666
    A cover swap system would be nice. If we could trade one colour for another with another player that would help. I would limit swaps so that you can only trade the same character so that the system wouldn't be a abused. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    The game is designed around the possibility of acquiring "useless" covers, covers that are of a color you cannot use to improve a character because that power is at max level. Creating colorless covers will remove that possibility, increasing the rate at which rosters develop across the board. They're stingy with giving out freebies and increased rewards for good reason, because screwing with the rates at which we advance and progress can break the game.

I honestly don't see colorless covers happening, any more than a token with guaranteed 5*s or SCL 9/10 that gives guaranteed 5*s at the top end of placement in PVE/PVP.

The reality is that these things can break the flow of resources in the game, and that flow is delicately balanced to encourage spending by players, because that's how the game makes money.

People act like these things are "no brainers" that the devs are foolish for not implementing, when implementing them would likely decrease player spending, which can literally kill the game.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    People have been asking for this for years.  YEARS.  Not gonna happen.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be. That's why you must hoard until eternity.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Everything asked of by the players can be spun to "it can break the game" strawman argument.

At the very least, colorless 5 star covers would be have zero chance of breaking the game give their current set up.

• Deathjester666
    It does seem to deliberately give covers you can't use to tempt you into spending money. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have a time limit on them
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    With a character at 5/5/x, the chance of pulling a useful cover is cut by two-thirds. It gets even worse if the character is vaulted; now you have to rely on bonus hero pulls, which are rare enough as it is without the chance that 66% of them (assuming you only have that one character set as a bonus hero) will be useless. That's why I'm biting the bullet and spending the 240 CP to get my Gwenpool (5/5/1) fully covered. Sure, it's not the best use of CP (and Gwenpool's not a top-tier 4*, I know) but I'd rather do that than continue to get frustrated when my LT pulls either never give me a 4* bonus hero, or if they do, it's useless to me. At least I'm in control of when I champ Gwenpool and not the game's RNG system.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    My 2/5/4 Cloak and Dagger, with 3 blacks already sold and 2 more dying on the vine, feels your pain. But sadly, I have to concur with Bluewolf, this is not a thing that's ever going to happen :'( ...I'm fighting the power by never falling into the trap of "spend money so that you don't waste things". They get $2 per month from me, because quite frankly, the intercepts are worth that. Beyond that, free all day baby