Restrictive characters suck the fun out of this game.

Options
Elric_VIII
Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
I'm beginning to get really tired of characters that punish you for playing the game. At some point, you get enough of them that using strategy to counter them flies out the window and it just ends up being a matter of a lucky board.

These are the types of characters that I mean, in no particular order:
  • Medusa (Inhuman Queen)
  • Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)
  • Jean Grey (All-New X-Men)
  • Peggy Carter (Captain America)
  • Spiderman (Back in Black)
  • Loki (Dark Reign)
  • Luke Cage (Powerman)
  • Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards)
Obviously, they aren't all an issue. BSS, Loki, and C4ge are reasonably tame because they don't disrupt your ability to play. Mr.F is annoying, but not particularly strong unless he's with Medusa or something. I think Peggy is at a good balance point where she is not an easy win, but she doesn't steal game by accident. She slows down the enemy team without unreasonably punishing effects.

I think the biggest offenders of this type are Medusa, Jean, and Carol.

Jean and Carol punish you for getting cascades that would be considered lucky at any other time. These two discourage playing the game because the trigger on the event of a match-5 or strong color match is incredibly disproportionate to that actual gain of that match. These two are very frustrating since you have minimal control over how you can play around them. 

Now for Medusa: Probably the backbone of this unpleasant trend. I think her issue is that she has zero counterplay (other than a stunlock) because her abilities trigger regardless of who makes the match, how the tiles are destroyed, and to whom they belong. She literally punishes you for playing the game in a much more obnoxious way than the previous two. Medusa needs to be changed so that her powers are conditional on who does the matching or who owns the tiles.

I don't think these characters need nerfs, they need changes. Make them more like Peggy, an obstacle not a catch-22.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    C4rol is also a reason that I've started looking for teams that in my roster have their strongest colour on a Passive or a power that the team doesn't really need to function. I kind like having to work around things like that.
  • Elric_VIII
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I just listed the characters that have an element of this for the sake of being complete. I think loki is fine and I've only played against a BSS with actual covers only a handful of times. I even recently finished my own C4ge. But you can't look at this in a vacuum. 

I'm not saying they are unbeatable, I'm saying that if you gather enough of them together you put so many restrictions on play that it removes the puzzle element because eveything punishes you. Look at the Carnage-Medusa-C4rol teams that make up more than half of the opponents in shield sim. This team comp is basically designed to make every match (both friendly and not) beneficial for itself. It removes strategy by making nearly every choice bad while also benefiting the Medusa even if they match away their own tiles. There's a reason this is such a popular team. Occasionally you see a Coulson/Blade/Peggy/Wasp substituted for Carnage/C4rol, but the Medusa is pretty constant.

Do you know how I beat this team reliably? I pull out my OML with 5 yellow to outlast it. I'm just barely in the 4* tier with 7 champs, but I got a lucky run with OML covers. Not everyone is in that same fortunate position. My fallback would be to basically make RHulk play martyr and hope I don't cascade into an enemy win. 

So while each character might be okay alone, the cumulative effect is not something that promotes counterplay.
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I tend to disagree on the Carnage/Medusa/Carol teams. Put Medusa and Carol on your own team, and you'll benefit as much from Carnage as your opponent. AND it leaves you space for an additional character like Bl4de or Peggy, putting the opposing team at a disadvantage.

I also like the puzzle factor of fighting some of these characters, and deciding whether making that strongest color match against Carol is more beneficial than detrimental, or matching that special tile away weighs up against the health boost given by Medusa.

I want more characters with weird powers. It adds variety to the game. If it's only doing pure damage, the game gets boring quick.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just listed the characters that have an element of this for the sake of being complete. I think loki is fine and I've only played against a BSS with actual covers only a handful of times. I even recently finished my own C4ge. But you can't look at this in a vacuum. 

I'm not saying they are unbeatable, I'm saying that if you gather enough of them together you put so many restrictions on play that it removes the puzzle element because eveything punishes you. Look at the Carnage-Medusa-C4rol teams that make up more than half of the opponents in shield sim. This team comp is basically designed to make every match (both friendly and not) beneficial for itself. It removes strategy by making nearly every choice bad while also benefiting the Medusa even if they match away their own tiles. There's a reason this is such a popular team. Occasionally you see a Coulson/Blade/Peggy/Wasp substituted for Carnage/C4rol, but the Medusa is pretty constant.

Do you know how I beat this team reliably? I pull out my OML with 5 yellow to outlast it. I'm just barely in the 4* tier with 7 champs, but I got a lucky run with OML covers. Not everyone is in that same fortunate position. My fallback would be to basically make RHulk play martyr and hope I don't cascade into an enemy win. 

So while each character might be okay alone, the cumulative effect is not something that promotes counterplay.
    Isn't that make the game more interesting ? Instead of straightforward character that deals damage, a beautiful combo like this (Carnage+Medusa) is what keeps me excited when new characters come out. (I ran into Carnage+Medusa+Iceman at one point earlier this season, that team is a beast!) If you really want to counter Carnage+Medusa, the easiest one is probably bring you own Medusa. That will shut down the opponent game play instantly. Or you can bring Antman to steal those tiles. Or Re-worked Drax can chop up that team too (at least on the paper, I don't have mine champed yet).
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    aa25 said:

Isn't that make the game more interesting ? Instead of straightforward character that deals damage, a beautiful combo like this (Carnage+Medusa) is what keeps me excited when new characters come out. (I ran into Carnage+Medusa+Iceman at one point earlier this season, that team is a beast!) If you really want to counter Carnage+Medusa, the easiest one is probably bring you own Medusa. That will shut down the opponent game play instantly. Or you can bring Antman to steal those tiles. Or Re-worked Drax can chop up that team too (at least on the paper, I don't have mine champed yet).
    Or take Rocket and Groot and Gamora out to play with Antman or Nova.  Or Iron Fist and Luke Cage with Wasp.  The interplay is really good right now in the 4* tier.  Multiple ways to skin every cat.  
  • Elric_VIII
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Well, when I read threads on how to deal with c4rol/medusa teams and half the answers that aren't "skip it" involve using c4rol and medusa to counter themselves, it really doesn't promote counterplay. 

For those of you saying you have fun fighting this team, do you do it without your own c4rol and medusa?

Because when the most effective counter to a character is that character, you've got a bad metagame.

• Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just use medusa/r&g/gamora whenever I see the carnage/carol/medusa team. Can usually kill Medusa by turn 3 and then it's an easy win from there. 
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Also mitigating Medusa is easily done by just taking along a Medusa team up.  If things get going and she gets to stealing away or creating too many special tiles a quick Hair Meddle will turn the tide for which ever team you choose to send against it.  
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I beat on some medusa carol teams these days with coulson, scarlet witch and carol. 
    I like Medusa and carol! The ladies all seem to pack a punch and I like playing with them and against them!

HANDS OFF THE LADIES!
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, when I read threads on how to deal with c4rol/medusa teams and half the answers that aren't "skip it" involve using c4rol and medusa to counter themselves, it really doesn't promote counterplay. 

For those of you saying you have fun fighting this team, do you do it without your own c4rol and medusa?

Because when the most effective counter to a character is that character, you've got a bad metagame.

I disagree.

When a new, powerful, potentially unbalancing character is introduced, and she is her own best counter, that's great! Especially in the current context of vaulting, where she is relatively easy to acquire and champion. 

That's far better than someone whose counter is already vaulted, or whose counter has not yet been introduced. Either of those situations gives a significant advantage to veterans or to power gamers,  respectively. 

Besides, it gives d3 a chance to introduce *other* counters before she leaves tokens, without unbalancing the game in the meantime. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I might agree with the frustration of it if you were forced to fight these characters.  If you could get bounced out of a match by a challenger ala 90's arcade style gameplay and had to face these characters with whatever team you were fielding, it would be really unfair.  But you know their abilities going in and can tailor a strategy to defeat them.  If you can't, it's probably not because of your luck or them having unbeatable power sets, but because you lack the appropriate counters in your roster.  If you don't have that diversity on your side, fighting certain characters is very much pounding your head against a brick wall.

I've never had a problem with Carol.  The color she punishes you on is your choice.  If you choose the same one as hers or you hinge your strategy on your strongest color, you go in with a disadvantage.  You get around that by spiking your team with a strongest passive, bringing your own Carol and letting them match the color, or stunning when you need to match.

Medusa's the one that typically ruins a game for me.  I usually have to bring a strong, reliable nuke, and just assume that match damage is negligible until I've collected enough to take her out.  If Carnage is along for the ride bring strong strike tiles to make his attacks do more damage to them than you.  Bring your own Medusa to reap nearly the same rewards.  Bring Ironheart to aggregate and lock those tiles.  

There are ways to get around the tougher abilities, but you won't be able to if you don't have access to the characters that can do it.  That's just the nature of the game.  Taking away the annoying powers would be like taking the knights out of chess.
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Id say kate bishop is a good counter to medusa she can block healing and has strong damage power 
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The OP assumes that blindly matching titles is the fun of this game. The more puzzle aspects , the more I enjoy this game. 
  • Elric_VIII
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This is somewhat amusing to read at this point.
  • Elric_VIII
    Options

Jarvind said:
     There was a long period where the sum total of "strategy" in MPQ was "GET DA GUD AP, SHOOTY DA BIG NUKE FOR WIN TIMES," and it seems like people still haven't gotten used to genuinely interesting character design. It requires you to play differently, yes, but it's entirely beatable.

Bloody Marvel said:
    I also like the puzzle factor of fighting some of these characters, and deciding whether making that strongest color match against Carol is more beneficial than detrimental, or matching that special tile away weighs up against the health boost given by Medusa.

I want more characters with weird powers. It adds variety to the game. If it's only doing pure damage, the game gets boring quick.

Calnexin said:
    There are ways to get around the tougher abilities, but you won't be able to if you don't have access to the characters that can do it.  That's just the nature of the game.  Taking away the annoying powers would be like taking the knights out of chess.

Wonko33 said:
    The OP assumes that blindly matching titles is the fun of this game. The more puzzle aspects , the more I enjoy this game.

Well, since there seems to be a nice echo chamber going on in here, let me leave you with one parting remark directed at those that seem to think that having these characters and strategy are mutually exclusive:

If you play with them on your team (as seems to be the consensus to dealing with them) then you pretty much eliminate the need for strategy since they achieve the win almost entirely through passives. So congrats on that hilarious level of doublethink.