Speedy Kaecilius!

Options
Do you sense that the game runs much faster while fighting Kaecilius? It's like all the matching animations are cut in half or even more.
They should make the entire game this fast. Shouldn't they?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's because there't no number showing up to indicate damage.

Honestly, the game used to be about as fast as that. Over a year ago something happened so that the only character who still makes the speedy matches is Storm.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe people would be less excited about faster PVE if the WHOLE GAME ran as fast as it should.  Considering it's a match 3 game that I could play on a Sony PSP.  
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah. Game speed is a slogfest. Currently my #1 reason I cut playtime in half and only do the essentials.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love the passive powers of OML and Hood, but it drives me nuts that they take a very long time to implement per turn, due to the banners that flash every turn. I'd be happy if we could remove the banners, or the game didn't make me wait for the passive powers to activate before I could do my swipe.
  • maltyo9
    maltyo9 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah, I never understood why you can make a move as Doom's passive is activating, but not on any other passives.  It shows it's possible, but not coded.  Very frustrating.
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    If every battle played this fast, I would buy a Stark tomorrow.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's because there't no number showing up to indicate damage.

Honestly, the game used to be about as fast as that. Over a year ago something happened so that the only character who still makes the speedy matches is Storm.
    Yeah, I miss those days.  It's VERY annoying how slow the game is, knowing how fast it used to be.
  • TheLadder77
    TheLadder77 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    On my iPhone I literally have to tap the screen over and over to activate some commands, the lag after certain moves is painful. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    heybub said:
    They really should put something in the options where game speed can be toggled.  Some of these animations are so slow and unnecessary.  If you're new, or running a new character, then taking time to see all the information makes sense, but if you're just trying down drones, and blade is taking a few seconds every turn to pump out strike tiles, it gets annoying.  It would also help with SL and Carnage, to name a few.

They did good with Strange, in that after the first time his passive yellow fires, it doesn't do the animation again.  Also, Carol seems to buff strikes very quickly, and Coulson's passive doesn't lag in the game. 
    Problem with it being toggled is almost all competition is speed/time based so you've either just given people a win button while those ignorant of it lose, or you've essentially turned off animations for everyone.  If they were going to do something like this they'd first need to figure out improvement to have placement is calculated (which needs to happen anyway).
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    I've personally found that, on an Android device, making sure to Force Close the application and then reopening it, causes the game to run fast again. This is especially true if I had been switching back and forth between applications, turning off the screen with the game running still, etc.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've noticed this on certain boss fights, but especially on the kecilius fight that the match speeds are very fast you match and everything falls into place and resloves quickly. 

Can this be a default or a option in the menus? 

The game match time now is SOOOOO slow. It has always been but its even worst now with all the bloated HP from characters. After a couple of rounds I'm ready to fall asleep.

I understand that if given as an option this would benefit people that are trying to speedly finish things. That however doesn't matter in the long run of things, and most veterans would great appreciate this option. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Coulda sworn I posted a reply either to this or a similar topic...dunno where that went. Either way I'll say it again =P

The game went slow about 18-24 months ago, if I recall. It used to be really speedy and zippy. Sometimes a little too quick, you could mis-click on an ability too easily.

But it's been too-slow for some time now. Nothing like having it be your turn and you're sat clicking on an ability for about 4 seconds before it actually fires. I'm sat watching cascades, wanting to switch character tabs so I can review a move and I need to click multiple times before the game will actually let me.

The only sign the game was ever speeds before is in Kaecillius fight and in the character Storm. If you make a match with her tiles they're all a lot faster in resolving than any other tile. That's the speed the matches used to play at.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

The only sign the game was ever speeds before is in Kaecillius fight and in the character Storm. If you make a match with her tiles they're all a lot faster in resolving than any other tile. That's the speed the matches used to play at.
    Can't have that, we'd have to spend time with our families with all the saved time :p
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pretty sure it's due to the fact that damage is not calculated. With well over 100 toons and unlimited combinations for creating and calculating damage, I think that's part of the normal slowness. Since Kaecilius takes no damage for regular matches, it probably skips over all those algorithms/methods in the code.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Also, because people don't use those fancy damage dealing characters that come with shiny animation for the Kaecillius fight. Animation alone would pause the game for 2-3 seconds.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Pretty sure it's due to the fact that damage is not calculated. With well over 100 toons and unlimited combinations for creating and calculating damage, I think that's part of the normal slowness. Since Kaecilius takes no damage for regular matches, it probably skips over all those algorithms/methods in the code.
    That calculation is totally negligable compared to the amount of work keeping the UI running.

Heck, my smartphone can calculate 128k digits of Pi within a bit over a second. It won't break a sweat doing some basic math, no matter how inefficient the game is programmed.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    mpqr7 said:
    I love the passive powers of OML and Hood, but it drives me nuts that they take a very long time to implement per turn, due to the banners that flash every turn. I'd be happy if we could remove the banners, or the game didn't make me wait for the passive powers to activate before I could do my swipe.
    The devs have over the last year made an effort to keep the abilities of newer characters brief.
    That said they really need to go back and speed up some old ones. Dr Doom's black is so slow. Same for Hood's black. Both have the same problem - static image of the character doing nothing while flashy effects happen around them for 5+ seconds.

I was grateful they sped up the pyro's flamethrower, that used to have a 3 second wait between the long animation ending and the power actually firing off. That said, minion fights are still frustrating because there's this 2 second long pause after the countdown timers have been made and resolved while their AP is calculated before the game hands over control to you...whereby you wait *another* 2 seconds before it'll let you make a move or use an ability.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Game speed would be an incredible quality of life improvement. I wonder if older phones could handle it though... or do those people just accept that part of the deal?
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the fact that passives that are fired multiple times per turn skips the animation. Now if only that is true for non passive. I'm running hawkeye and I'me sick of both his blue/red animation. Each battle I fire them at least 5-10x each in a matter of 2-3 turns. Seeing once per turn (dare I ask per battle?) would be so much better