What do you think about this guide?

nitefox1337
nitefox1337 Posts: 80 Match Maker
I've been checking this guide since I play mpq. After I managed to get an idea of the game, seems legit. I kept and sold heroes based on that guide. And to tell you the truth, I would recommend it.

what you guys think?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WDBCB5f4-Pk-FssDPS7pUYWijoPN3QWBIsmz0AOXRog/edit#gid=1788990707

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've had a look and as much as I appreciate the work and as much as I like the detailed structure I think it's more miss than hit. 

The 5* ranking seems actually rather accurate. When it gets to 4* you see there are things missing there. For once Carnage combo with Medusa is reason enough not to put him at the bottom. Carol D being out of top10 means the author has not seen her championed and working with the right team. 

For 3* it's wrong as well - the days IF was the king of 3* land are long gone. The only 3* in S tier are Thanos, IM40, Scarlet Which and maybe Strange. 

I think the 4* land is where this raking has it wrong the most.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Magic said:
    For 3* it's wrong as well - the days IF was the king of 3* land are long gone. The only 3* in S tier are Thanos, IM40, Scarlet Which and maybe Strange. 

You're listing the 3* you still use now.

Those aren't necessarily the best 3* characters, those are just the 3* with enough utility for a 4* player.

For a 3* player, IF is far more valuable than Scarlet Witch. She's only as good as who you're feeding the purple AP and match-5 to. He's already helpful all by himself.
  • nitefox1337
    nitefox1337 Posts: 80 Match Maker
    With your answers, I think that what would be nice is a website where people post and explain their combo. Maybe there's one, and I have no idea about it, but couldn't find one myself.

For example, how can I learn more about that carnage and medusa combo?
  • Magic
    @Starfury In a way I agree - i look at the ranking from the perspective of 4* players (with more theoretical knowledge of the 5* tier) so I vaule the 3* from this perspective. I meant to write that stand alone the order might be different but then I thought it wouldn't be that much different. 

In 3* land IF need somebody he can feed the black to (self feed is kind of there but limited). Let's say Black Panther (to make it rainbow). Do you have IF+BP over Switch-Khamala Khan? I think I will have my money on SW-KK. And what makes it a bit funny is that Switch is actually a great companion for IF himself :D
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    SWitch, Fist and Cage were my Sim team until I started champing 4*s. Strange, Kamala and IM40 are also up top, but I would say Thanos doesn't come into his own until you've moved beyond 3*s.
  • Magic
    Why not? Pair him with Daken and Patch (or Rocket and Groot) and you have a very decent and fast team. Not great on defense but it should have limited weight in the ranking as the AI is not going to do much with anybody.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Starfury said:
    Magic said:

You're listing the 3* you still use now.

Those aren't necessarily the best 3* characters, those are just the 3* with enough utility for a 4* player.

For a 3* player, IF is far more valuable than Scarlet Witch. She's only as good as who you're feeding the purple AP and match-5 to. He's already helpful all by himself.
    I back up Starfury here. While I don't use 3* Iron Fist as much now as I transition into the 4* meta, other than for easy nodes due to his speed, he is still the best character if you are playing in the 3* meta.  IM40 is great but really is only better to fuel 4* powers and as a complete character, IM40 is relatively a one trick (maybe two trick as his red is decent) pony while 3* Iron Fist is the real deal.  I would also argue that 3* Thanos may not be quite as great in the 3* meta since his Court Death deals significantly more health damage to other 3* than it does when paired to 4* team for example.  
  • Magic
    All valid. But it's not a void. The ranking doesn't say: If you are purely 3* player this is the 3* list. But if you are a 4* player the order changes to this. While if you are 5* player you might value them in this order.

It does include the 4* ranking as well. I agree that Iceman is the best 4* in the game. But you have to look at this from couple of angles. He is vaulted so people who didn't have him leveled can't obtain him. Does that make Medusa or Carol better... No, but they bridge the gap as long as they are in tokens. How about 5* land? As he is stand alone guy he doesn't fit very well there (his stun maybe) but Medusa does as she is a support hero there (ap generation, tiles generation, burst health). Carol also works well as support fueling the strongest color and boosting the tiles. Still not saying they are both better but they close the gap even more with this. 

So if you consider overall game ranking (assuming all characters are involved) this ranking misses out. If it "only the given star level" ranking - then it is more accurate. 
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    I disagree with many of the comments on the 'note' column of the sheet. For examples, the note says iceman is squishy, but iceman actually has average lifepoint for a 4*, the note says Nova is a complicated unit, although Nova can do one thing: drop massive strikes tiles, the note says IMHB produces strong special tiles, he does produce strong strike tiles, but super-weak protect tiles, the note says 3DP's whale doesn't deal enough damage, although it is actually the second highest damage per ap for AoE in 3* land, etc. Also the lack of consistency here and there. (Like flagging some character as squishy as a cons, but do not do the same with others with the exact same lifepoint.)

I personally would recommend write-ups by Dauthi's or Jarvind's or Colog's instead.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good guide. But there are still spots here and there to improve, I don't think you should take it too rigorously. Experiment new things here and there.

Edit: Add the last sentence which turns to a short paragraph in the end.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I guess the Achilles Heel of this guide is that the characters are considered as individuals, where as the game treats characters as members of teams. Iceman and Rhulk might stand head and shoulder above the rest of the roster, individually, but I would prefer targeting teams with both Iceman and Rhulk in Sims rather than Cardusa. As a pair, Cardusa is way more scary than Ice+Rhulk.