MPQ at Marvel.com: Sandman (6/13/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Get ready to snuff out your opponents with this Spider-Man villain!
Check out 4-Star Sandman here: Sandman (Flint Marko)

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yay more villains, yay more Spidey stuff, yay cool artwork.

Looking forward to adding Sandman to the mix. Not looking forward to having to deal with a scaling test for his release, but the devs have got to test scaling on releases SOMETIME in order to make it work permanently, right?
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sadman FTW

Marvel.com: Mind giving us the lowdown on Mr. Sadman’s abilities?
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    OMG! It's a new character. It's like spotting a unicorn in the wild....
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm surprised it took this long for a character who specifically consumes protect tiles to do a damaging attack. Not a protect version of Daken, but it's been a time coming.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also, we finally have the 4* version of Wind Storm/Reality Crush. That's handy.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Purple/Green/Yellow is a fairly unique color combo. Sounds like a good, basic utility character that keeps things simple. 

Also couldn't help but notice that Strange Sights will be after Thick as Thieves. Love that event! 
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hey, a Yellow battery kinda. Outside of Fisk and C&D, that's good to see. I'm already liking the sound of his purple shuffle ability. Green stun with AoE damage sounds great, unless the damage is too low, I'm worried. 
    It sounds like his yellow Only creates protects if there are none on the board. If it Only does damage when there are protect tiles to remove, then this will be kinda stinky. Perhaps a decent base damage plus bonus damage when protects are removed would be better.

Also, no passives? That's different.

• Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Villian. Yesssssss. And he looks good.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So, based upon a comment from Brigby in an earlier thread, this release event is the next "trial run" for the SCL scaling changes. That should be... interesting.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't hold your breath, I bet his 9 Green AP attack will do something like 2,600 team damage and stun the target for 3 turns; so, not much better than a level 320 Switch or a level 144 Storm, but I could be wrong.  We'll see.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Looking through the screenshots it seems they've added a Sinister Six affiliation. Combined with the imminent release of Homecoming, comments about a "Summer of Spider-man", and release of Doc Ock... Well. Interpret as you all please.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bbigler said:
    Don't hold your breath, I bet his 9 Green AP attack will do something like 2,600 team damage and stun the target for 3 turns; so, not much better than a level 320 Switch or a level 144 Storm, but I could be wrong.  We'll see.
    At 5 covers, 270 the Green does 3,448 to the enemy team, with a 2 turn stun to the target per Discord.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Skygazing said:
    Looking through the screenshots it seems they've added a Sinister Six affiliation. Combined with the imminent release of Homecoming, comments about a "Summer of Spider-man", and release of Doc Ock... Well. Interpret as you all please.

Not to mention the following comment in the "interview": "With the addition of Sandman we’re about a third of the way to a full Sinister Six."

I expect Vulture will be the next release, but I hope this means that Mysterio, Kraven, and Electro are coming soon too (though I suspect they're not).

• astrp3
    Options
    Insert lazy Metallica joke here.

Yep. I was disappointed that this thread (or the Marvel.com interview) wasn't titled "Enter Sandman." Oh well, maybe Craig will "treat" us to a rendition on the next episode of Puzzle Warriors.

• bbigler
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    Purple/Green/Yellow is a fairly unique color combo. Sounds like a good, basic utility character that keeps things simple. 

Also couldn't help but notice that Strange Sights will be after Thick as Thieves. Love that event! 
    Same color combo and mechanics as Kamala Khan, Squirrel Girl & 3*Star Lord.  Yellow is the defensive color, Purple is the AP boost and Green does team damage.  3*Gamora and 3*Doc Ock both can stun and do team damage with green.  So, nothing unique here. 

It always bugs me when a character's power works by removing their own special tiles.  It's like making a 1 time use nuke because you don't want to use it until the last enemy.  Kinda like Nova's Danger Zone which removes all friendly black strike tiles in order to nuke the target.  But this nuke costs 10 AP and all of your protect tiles.

We'll have to wait and see his stats before making any judgments, but I'm not too excited.  I think the only way for him to see regular use is if his green is stronger than Rhulk's at 9 AP OR his purple is a good yellow battery OR his yellow is really, really good - like create 4 protect tiles of strength 300 and later nuke the target for 2500 per tile good.
  • bbigler
    Options
    waywreth said:
    bbigler said:
    At 5 covers, 270 the Green does 3,448 to the enemy team, with a 2 turn stun to the target per Discord.
    Discord?  Can you point me to that info? 

Assuming this is true, then he could work well with IM40.  Recharge fuels his green attack and helps provide for his purple power to produce more yellow, which can fuel IM40 to Recharge again.  The Blue and Red could fuel Peggy or Gamora, completing a nice stun lock team. 
  • astrp3
    Options
    bbigler said:
    I think the only way for him to see regular use is if his green is stronger than Rhulk's at 9 AP OR his purple is a good yellow battery OR his yellow is really, really good - like create 4 protect tiles of strength 300 and later nuke the target for 2500 per tile good.
    At five covers, his yellow creates six strength 168 protect tiles or, if there are 7+ friendly protect tiles, does 5,542 damage (and removes them).  His purple swaps 14 non-yellow tiles, converting up to five to yellow.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:
    DarthDeVo said: 

Same color combo and mechanics as Kamala Khan, Squirrel Girl & 3*Star Lord.  Yellow is the defensive color, Purple is the AP boost and Green does team damage.  3*Gamora and 3*Doc Ock both can stun and do team damage with green.  So, nothing unique here. 
     Yeah, you're right. I was in a hurry earlier and no one was coming to mind right away. Should've remembered KK, because I use her a lot. 

However, Star-Lord is fairly new, so before him that was two characters with that color scheme. And it's now five (counting Sandman and both SL variants) out of what, 130-some characters? And no characters in the 4* tier with that color combo? Not exactly what I would call common. 
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    At five covers, his yellow creates six strength 168 protect tiles or, if there are 7+ friendly protect tiles, does 5,542 damage (and removes them).  His purple swaps 14 non-yellow tiles, converting up to five to yellow.
    Stats for 70lvl? :)