Options
13»

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Starfury said:
    Even taken on its own merit 5.5k damage for 10 AP is mediocre at best. Losing at least 7 friendly special tiles makes it quite a bit worse.

But yeah, having to get 7 protect tiles before the power does damage kills it.
    Who even creates 7 protect without using yellow AP himself? 3* Falcon, 3* Spidey, 2* Bullseye, anyone else?

Looks like it's going to be another yellow 3 cover power noone ever uses.
    And we thought Symbiotic Assault was bad ;)

At least he (more or less) generates Yellow AP?

New McG said:
    OJSP said:
    Starfury said:
    Who even creates 7 protect without using yellow AP himself? 3* Falcon, 3* Spidey, 2* Bullseye, anyone else?
    Bring a Coercive Field TU. Edit: I forgot that Falcon's Bird Strike also costs 9 AP now
    Also, 4* Luke Cage generates a ton over time against the right opponents.
    Professor X and Thing both create them passively, Hulkbuster also makes a few throw-away Protect tiles (I know, right), Ant-Man,Medusa, or Star Lord can both steal your opponent's Protect tiles, Loki could covert your opponent's strike tiles to friendly Protect tiles. Green Goblin Purple, if you pick a Yellow tile (but why)
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    Insert lazy Metallica joke here.
    Ah, One more Spidey villain joins the game - as well as more Fuel to the speculation of a full sinister six line up. It might be Sad but True, but Nothing Else Matters to me than getting The Shocker. If he's not added to the game soon, I Disappear.
    Now Spidey can bring Justice For All
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    Oh, this is nice. I was wishing for a yellow tile generator. And team damage plus stun is great, too.

Now I would like next 4star to be Mysterio (please no other level than 4-star, as I only want him to have a Crash of Titans, and make it be against Old Man Logan).

But probably a 4-star Peter Parker is next. And then I suppose two versions of Vulture.
    Breaking News (fictional): 4* Wastelands Hawkeye is announced to MPQ before Mysterio  :p
    If they also add Spider-mobile, you'd have the perfect 3 character team with OML.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    OJSP said:
    New McG said:
    If we bring Luke Cage and we have 7 protect tiles, we should be dealing greater damage using his Yellow power instead (Hero for Hire)
    Hey, nobody stipulated that this concept had to make sense. :)
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    New McG said:
    OJSP said:
    New McG said:
    If we bring Luke Cage and we have 7 protect tiles, we should be dealing greater damage using his Yellow power instead (Hero for Hire)
    Hey, nobody stipulated that this concept had to make sense. :)
    Yeah, the problem is that if I am going to go through the trouble of making 7 protect tiles to proc sandman's yellow damage, I want a hell of a lot more than 6ish k for 10ap.  yellow seems totally underwhelming.  But green and purple look quite good.  5/5/3? 

4* land includes unconditional 11-12 ap powers that do 10k or more damage with additional beneficial effectas (riri red, kate blue, IF black).  Why does this conditional nuke do half the damage for about the same cost and consume friendly special tiles?  This seems like a colossal design mistake with his yellow.  Who would ever use it?  you could double that damage and it would still a bit worse than the current 4* meta.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When will Sandman get his own thread? It would be nice to see his complete stats.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Maybe he will have better synergy with upcoming characters but at the moment he seems kinda boring.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Full numbers at 270:

Green
    3: 1227 damage to the enemy team, stuns the target for 2 turns.
    4: 1950 damage to the enemy team.
    5: 3448 damage to the enemy team.

Purple
    3: Swap 10 tiles.
    4: Convert up to 4 tiles.
    5: Swap 14 tiles.

Yellow
    3: Creates 5 strength 86 Protect tiles. If there are 7 or more, remove all and deal 2702 damage.
    4: Creates 6 strength 103 Protect tiles. If there are 7 or more, remove all and deal 3620 damage.
    5: Creates 6 strength 168 Protect tiles. If there are 7 or more, remove all and deal 5542 damage.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Insert lazy Metallica joke here.
    Ah, One more Spidey villain joins the game - as well as more Fuel to the speculation of a full sinister six line up. It might be Sad but True, but Nothing Else Matters to me than getting The Shocker. If he's not added to the game soon, I Disappear.
    The D3 Master of Puppets may not grant Justice For All sinister 6.
  • bbigler
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Starfury said:
    Bring a Coercive Field TU. Edit: I forgot that Falcon's Bird Strike also costs 9 AP now
    That sounds like a great idea: spend 9 AP to create protect tiles, then 10 AP to remove them and deal 5.5K damage.  What a combo!  Much better than spending 5 AP for Wasp to flip them to 8 x 428 Strike tiles.
  • bbigler
    Options
    New McG said:
    OJSP said:
    Starfury said:
    If I have 7 or more 300+ protect tiles from Cage, I would rather keep them than throw them away for 5K damage.  Better yet, I would rather convert them with Wasp to 600+ Strike tiles. 
  • bbigler
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Perhaps D3 thought his green power was too good, so they purposely gave him a bad yellow power to balance it out?  Oh wait, I'm thinking logically again, that doesn't belong on this forum. 

[retract above statement]

His yellow power is the worst thing I've seen since Agent Venom's friendly AP drain!
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2017
    Options
    bbigler said:
    Perhaps D3 thought his green power was too good, so they purposely gave him a bad yellow power to balance it out?  Oh wait, I'm thinking logically again, that doesn't belong on this forum. 

[retract above statement]

His yellow power is the worst thing I've seen since Agent Venom's friendly AP drain!
    AV's friendly ap drain is annoying, but not so bad when you get full covers.  Sandman yellow is terrible like original chulk green.  Not quite og chulk black or og spidergwen yellow bad, but pretty close.

Seriously, double the numbers on yellow: 6x 320 protect tiles, or 11k damage.  Is he top tier? I think he would be upper middle tier with those numbers, but still not as good as carol or medusa or iceman etc.

If you can take a character's biggest single target nuke, double it, and still have nothing better than a pretty good 4*, then there is a problem.  

Overall sandman seems ok because purple and green are good or better.  But yellow seems like it is was designed for a 3* character in mid 2014; it's designed for a different game.
  • Jball
    Jball Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    You guys are ridiculous. His yellow ability is fine. Sandman can stun, aoe, board shake, AP battery (sorta), produce protects and has a small straight damage ability. DOES HE REALLY NEED A NUKE. Plus its a yellow ability that can do straight damage, you can count the number of those on one hand and most of those abilities damage suck too. yellow ability normal deal with protects and heals not damage. Ya hes gonna be a 5/5/3 but because his purple and green are really solid. So just use another yellow user in your party, its not that hard. Not ever ability in the game can be top tier elite, what would be the point, the game would get real boring real fast.  

So i say good job devs, sandman seems like a solid charcter that i will absolutely collect
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby I just had a thought. I was looking to see what people were saying about Sandman, quickly realized I had two places to check, the thread for the Marvel.com article, and the stats thread that Cthulhu posts.

They used to both serve a purpose, announcement briefly exists in General Discussion, and the stat thread exists in the Character forum, and that's where people go once the announcement drifts by.

But with the recent restructuring, moving threads, trying to spread out forum use, we now have two threads to discuss the character in the same section, one of which has a countdown timer on it by design.

Now, I noticed your thread (this one) for the Marvel.com article went up two days before the stat thread, but is there any way you and the devs could make them coexist, so we have ONE thread for the character? Like, you'd post the announcements as normal, but you could lock and redirect discussion to the stat thread that Cthulhu posts. You already do that from General Discussion to get to here in the Character Discussion forum, but what if the Character Discussion thread had the article link, and a link to Cthulhu's thread, and then were just locked for comments, so ALL discussion were in one place.

It would seem redundant, and the thread you post here would basically be a shiny new announcement saying to go somewhere else, but it could mean that someone who comes in a few months from now and goes to the Sandman thread finds all the discussion in one place, and isn't missing out on a few pages from the announcement that were in another thread that drifted away. It would mean an announcement in Gen Disc pointing to an announcement in Char Disc pointing to a thread in Char Disc posted by someone else, but after the announcements are no longer current and they pass on, all of the chatter would be in one nice neat place, right?

Assuming I'm making sense, and haven't said anything crazy, at least, haha. (of course, that would require Cthulhu's stat thread to go up at the same time as the announcement, and I notice two days between this thread and that thread for Sandman, but that might be something that could be coordinated going forward?)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And honestly, the stats threads are getting less and less useful now that you can check out any character in the game from your roster once their release event starts, and even see their multiple power cards at once. Sure. it's the min-level stats, but the max-level stats are easily calculate-able to a few %, so that's not even that big of a deal.
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Also the lack of formatting makes the stats threads quite a bit harder to parse.

Jball:
    Samdman might do stun, aoe, board shake, and ap gen, but he isnt all that good at any of them.  With just a few exceptions, Mpq is not kind to jack of all trades chatacters that are ok at a bunch of things, but excel at nothing.