How much time per day?

2»

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    1-2 hours per day
    Nobody said it was REQUIRED to live.  You are allowed to use the word REQUIRE in a contextual setting.  If you want to compete, there are REQUIRED actions involved.  This is not inappropriate use of the word.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    1-2 hours per day
    New McG said:
    bbigler said:
    New McG said:
    Warbringa said:
    Honestly...no mobile game should require that you spend more than one hour per day on it.
    That's what's great! No mobile game REQUIRES you spend a single minute on it!
    Well, for most of us that want to be competitive or do our best, it does REQUIRE several hours a day.  Here's the catch-22:  If you play just "casually" for 1 hour a day, then you're likely to see very little to no progress and want to quit.  If you play hardcore for 3-4 hours a day, then you'll see good progress, but you're likely to get burned out and want to quit the game too.  Playing for 2 hours a day is still very time consuming, with slow progress and doesn't sit well with someone who wants to do their best. 
    There are many things that REQUIRE a person's time. Eating. Work/school. Sleep. Any game you can play on your phone does not fall anywhere near that category. If all mobile game servers went down tomorrow and mobile games went away entirely, nobody's life is suddenly in peril.
    Your life won't be in peril if you don't wear clothes either, but it's still required when you leave your house. 

I'm not interpreting the word "required" literally here.  I'm saying that people that play this game make it a requirement of the day, like eating and sleeping. 
  • carrion_pigeons
    1-2 hours per day
    bbigler said:
    Your life won't be in peril if you don't wear clothes either, but it's still required when you leave your house. 

I'm not interpreting the word "required" literally here.  I'm saying that people that play this game make it a requirement of the day, like eating and sleeping. 
    Yes, you are using it literally, and you're also using it correctly.  Don't back down.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    1-2 hours per day
    bbigler said:
    New McG said:
    bbigler said:
    New McG said:
    Warbringa said:
    Honestly...no mobile game should require that you spend more than one hour per day on it.
    That's what's great! No mobile game REQUIRES you spend a single minute on it!
    Well, for most of us that want to be competitive or do our best, it does REQUIRE several hours a day.  Here's the catch-22:  If you play just "casually" for 1 hour a day, then you're likely to see very little to no progress and want to quit.  If you play hardcore for 3-4 hours a day, then you'll see good progress, but you're likely to get burned out and want to quit the game too.  Playing for 2 hours a day is still very time consuming, with slow progress and doesn't sit well with someone who wants to do their best. 
    There are many things that REQUIRE a person's time. Eating. Work/school. Sleep. Any game you can play on your phone does not fall anywhere near that category. If all mobile game servers went down tomorrow and mobile games went away entirely, nobody's life is suddenly in peril.

Wearing clothes is not technically "required", but it is "highly recommended". And there are also decency laws that regulate such things in many places. Any given person's time spent playing this game is entirely optional. Not "required" in any sense of the word.

When someone says "no mobile game should REQUIRE over an hour a day" it's patently untrue, as nothing about it is "required". No ill effects befall anyone who doesn't play some "required" amount of time. Any "requirement" is entirely contingent on the person's singular decision to play the game at all. If you choose to play it, and then feel "required" to play any amount of time, then it is YOU setting the requirement, not the developer or the game itself.
  • carrion_pigeons
    1-2 hours per day
    Stop being terrible.  This isn't even being a grammar Nazi.  You're just wrong about what the word require means.  It does not mean "require to live".  That's one specific use of the word, but it isn't the only one, and pretending it is, is awful and pretentious, and wrong.  Just stop.
  • NewMcG
    1-2 hours per day
    Stop being terrible.  This isn't even being a grammar Nazi.  You're just wrong about what the word require means.  It does not mean "require to live".  That's one specific use of the word, but it isn't the only one, and pretending it is, is awful and pretentious, and wrong.  Just stop.
    I'm not. The original quote referred to "no mobile game should require a certain amount of time". They don't. People are the ones who dictate their "requirements", not the game in any way, shape, or form.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    0-1 hours per day
    Nobody said it was REQUIRED to live.  You are allowed to use the word REQUIRE in a contextual setting.  If you want to compete, there are REQUIRED actions involved.  This is not inappropriate use of the word.
    Louis C.K. has a great bit on this in his new special. I don't want to spoil it though and I definitely can't tell it like he does. On instant Netflix and worth a watch if you are looking for something to do while you finish your PvE grinds!

N/M, here!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    0-1 hours per day
    New McG said:
    I'm not. The original quote referred to "no mobile game should require a certain amount of time". They don't. People are the ones who dictate their "requirements", not the game in any way, shape, or form.
    You didn't read the OP carefully.  They stated how much time should you have to invest to be able to cover a new 4* character before they are vaulted as a guideline for the poll.  You very well know it is a requirement to play a significant number of hours per day to meet the specifics listed by the OP.  To cover a new character before vaulting means you realistically need to play fairly competitive or be super fortunate with RNG.  Therefore, per the OP description, this game in its current format, does require you to invest heavily in time.  I personally believe that it is perhaps the biggest flaw with the game as I have burned out several times but have come back after taking time off. I have known several alliance members who have done the same but the vast majority of them do not come back. Many of my friends play other mobile games and think that I am crazy since they can be very competitive in those games with no more than an hour of day of play.   
  • NewMcG
    1-2 hours per day
    Warbringa said:
    New McG said:
    No you very well know it is a requirement to play a significant number of hours per day to meet the specifics listed by the OP.  To cover a new character before vaulting means you realistically need to play fairly competitive or be super fortunate with RNG.  Therefore, per the OP description, this game in its current format, does require you to invest heavily in time.  I personally believe that it is perhaps the biggest flaw with the game as I have burned out several times but have come back after taking time off. I have known several alliance members who have done the same but the vast majority of them do not come back. Many of my friends play other mobile games and think that I am crazy since they can be very competitive in those games with no more than an hour of day of play.   
    In case you hadn't figured it out, I was referring to when I quoted YOU, not the OP.

Again, no game REQUIRES you to ever play it. If it did, then I'm sure never playing Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, or any other number of mobile games would have had some adverse effect on my life. Alas, they have not, just the same as MPQ doesn't REQUIRE me to do anything. I choose to play, and have just as easily chosen not to play for stretches of time. Turns out, my life didn't fall into some crazy downward spiral when I wasn't playing, so it's almost like the game required nothing of me, and my life moved along just the same with or without it. Huh.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    0-1 hours per day
    New McG said:
    Warbringa said:
    New McG said:
    No you very well know it is a requirement to play a significant number of hours per day to meet the specifics listed by the OP.  To cover a new character before vaulting means you realistically need to play fairly competitive or be super fortunate with RNG.  Therefore, per the OP description, this game in its current format, does require you to invest heavily in time.  I personally believe that it is perhaps the biggest flaw with the game as I have burned out several times but have come back after taking time off. I have known several alliance members who have done the same but the vast majority of them do not come back. Many of my friends play other mobile games and think that I am crazy since they can be very competitive in those games with no more than an hour of day of play.   
    In case you hadn't figured it out, I was referring to when I quoted YOU, not the OP.

Again, no game REQUIRES you to ever play it. If it did, then I'm sure never playing Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, or any other number of mobile games would have had some adverse effect on my life. Alas, they have not, just the same as MPQ doesn't REQUIRE me to do anything. I choose to play, and have just as easily chosen not to play for stretches of time. Turns out, my life didn't fall into some crazy downward spiral when I wasn't playing, so it's almost like the game required nothing of me, and my life moved along just the same with or without it. Huh.
    My initial post was in response to the OP! You can't take my response out of context of the initial question. Yes I understand no one is forced to play this game. No one is debating that. That was not the question asked by the OP though.  The OP asked how much time do you feel this game should take to meet the baseline provided. That baseline in this game is basically progress.  Covering character so they are useful is probably the best indicator of progress in this game.  

I gave my answer.  You are turning it into something else.  I didn't think I would need to explain my view so in depth but I assumed that everyone would read it in the context of the OP. Not that I think people are going to die if they don't play this game as I guess you read my post as.

If it helps you though I will now say that that if the baseline in the OP is a basic metric of progress in this game, no mobile game should require that you play more than an hour a day in order to see any meaningful progress. This I hold to be PATENTLY TRUE (since you like the caps).
  • carrion_pigeons
    1-2 hours per day
    Stop acting like you know the definition of the word require.  Literally nobody else is using the word to mean what you seem to think it means, and the reason is because the word *doesn't mean what you seem to think it means*.
  • Stewy04
    Stewy04 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Skrofa said:
    I feel that 2-3 hours should be more than enough for a mobile game. 
    That being said, we should not be made to play these 2-3 hours [url=http://www.shuttle-paris-airports.com/cdg-paris-transfer]transfers CDG [/url] at a specific timeframe to keep that competitive edge
    Yes it is enough
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    1-2 hours per day
    Well, I'm glad we have these forums so that we can discuss the proper use of the word require. 

Could somebody close this thread already?
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    1-2 hours per day
    bbigler said:
    I would prefer that baseline progress takes about 1-2 hours a day and gaining a competitive edge would be 2-3 hours.

But in the current reality of the game, the baseline gameplay is 2-3 hours and competitive play is 3-4 hours.  That's a part-time job!  Let's ease our burdens.  The time consumption of this game is the sole reason I've quit the game 3 times in the past. 
    This is how I feel.

Though, it's not necessarily the amount of time you spend per day that's a killer in MPQ, it's the amount you have to spend per session if you want to compete. If you want to play PvE, and place well, you have to sit down and run repetitive nodes in the same chunk of time. If you could hit something here and there without tanking your points (be it max progression or ranking), the amount of time per day wouldn't be as bad.