How much time per day?

carrion_pigeons
carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
edited May 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Assume a baseline gameplay goal for players is to be able to cover new characters before they're vaulted.  What time investment would you prefer that this take?  Remember to consider that this affects competitive advantages as well as your own roster, so your biggest benefit sits just below the highest amount of play you feel you can sustain forever.

How much time per day? 121 votes

0-1 hours per day
9%
firethorneBryan LambertseshomaPongieTuringWarbringaRoboDuckrastafari7Fightmastermpqastrp3SpringSoldier 11 votes
1-2 hours per day
42%
Starfuryahunter5zulux21LegallyUndeadJamieMadroxmikeypcarrion_pigeonsDartmaster01TheRealJRadTiggidaferaldayorJangoLoredgt73Stax the FoyersmecherudonomefooSteellatchmattonlinePlatzyMikeG72 52 votes
2-3 hours per day
26%
KolenceDapperChewieGrumpySmurf1002steakleatherfrachrmpqr7HendrossEl SatannoSTOPTHISMeanderDeadsiderESN91[Deleted User]marek84CalnexinZalastadudethtsawesomerazor14658waywreth 32 votes
3-4 hours per day
12%
SquareneodukeDaichesLambadaDaveVirus_Type_VEric1985PollozzHandoftheking26evade420LilithNMANOZnwahs086TheLadder77gutsnglorylegeng 15 votes
More than 4 hours per day
9%
ToryTorybabinroacescrackedrdvargas1Punisher5784wgasadudebeyonderbubSeveredSynapsetph_jamestherightwayeTigerTeufel 11 votes

Comments

• Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    2-3 hours per day
    I feel that 2-3 hours should be more than enough for a mobile game. 
    That being said, we should not be made to play these 2-3 hours at a specific timeframe to keep that competitive edge
  • TheZeusBear
    TheZeusBear Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    1-2 hours per day
    1-2 hours per day, much less for off season and 48 hour subs. 
    Generally 45-1:10 for 1-4 and 5-7 clears, 10 mins or less for dpd, approx 10-30 for pvp to get around 575-800 score overall. 
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    What I prefer is as little time as possible. Whether that's reasonable is something else altogether.

How much time it will currently take depends on your level, and how many 4*s you've already got champed. If you're still working on your 3*s there's not much chance of keeping up with the new 4*s.

I've got over 2/3 of all 4*s champed, and I feel I can quite easily keep up with the current 4* releases (8/12 champed, back to 6/12 when Grocket4 and G4mora are added), but I spend well over 4 hours/day on the game.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    1-2 hours per day
    To gain your base level of progression should not take more then 2 hours of playing per day but it will and it does.  I would say if you do not play 3 + you will never make high placement, and will not find a good alliance which is key for progressing in getting the HP for rostering multiple characters, and gaining enough tokens to pull the 4 stars.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Does this include any spending people may or may not do? Because that drastically changes things.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    1-2 hours per day
    Ducky said:
    Does this include any spending people may or may not do? Because that drastically changes things.
    If you prefer it to, it does for you.  It's a poll about personal preference.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    1-2 hours per day
    To gain your base level of progression should not take more then 2 hours of playing per day but it will and it does.  I would say if you do not play 3 + you will never make high placement, and will not find a good alliance which is key for progressing in getting the HP for rostering multiple characters, and gaining enough tokens to pull the 4 stars.
    I'll strongly disagree with this. On my busiest days I'll maybe put in two hours of PVE, I can still place well, and I'm in a great alliance. If there's a particularly appealing PVP running, I'll maybe play half an hour of that a couple times during the few days of the event, otherwise it's a quick run to 575 and then ignore it. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    1-2 hours per day
    Definitely prefer it to only be 1-2 hours per day.  Right now it's more like 2-3 and it's hard to keep that up every day.  Honestly, 2-3 hours a day wouldn't be all that hard if it wasn't 2-3 hours a day at the same time everyday.  I'd love to see the time sink lessened and/or them figure out a way to not have placement so tied to when you play vs how you play.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    0-1 hours per day
    I feel like a lot of people answered "how long should you have to play to champ a new 4* every two weeks" rather than how long just to max cover one in 36 weeks.  Those are two incredibly different levels of play.  The former is hardcore enough to compete at the 4* level, the latter just casual progression into the 4* tier.
  • LambadaDave
    LambadaDave Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    3-4 hours per day
    OOPS.  too early for me.  I put down how much time I am currently spending, not what I think is optimal based on the question.  I'm currently playing 3+ hours, but think it should be 2-3 at max.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    2-3 hours per day
    I voted 2-3, but I think 2 hr with a 20-30 min swing is the ideal amount of time.  I think of fully covering a character as being the primary accomplishment in the game, with champing being a matter of personal preference.  Significantly less than 2 hr/day seems too casual to accomplish the primary objective, absent monetary contribution, while 3 is too much for a game of this type.
  • NewMcG
    1-2 hours per day
    I feel like a lot of people answered "how long should you have to play to champ a new 4* every two weeks" rather than how long just to max cover one in 36 weeks.  Those are two incredibly different levels of play.  The former is hardcore enough to compete at the 4* level, the latter just casual progression into the 4* tier.
    Mine falls somewhere along the same lines for both. I'm not sure that anyone playing much less than an hour will ever hope to grab much for placement or progression rewards, which would be pretty stifling for roster growth. (Missing progression CP, covers, and such, which would be close to impossible to hit consistently in an hour a day.)

For me, somewhere in the 1.5 to 2 hour a day range is the sweet spot where I'm not burning out from playing too much, but still can feel like I'm working my way forward and not just treading water.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    0-1 hours per day
    New McG said:
    Mine falls somewhere along the same lines for both. I'm not sure that anyone playing much less than an hour will ever hope to grab much for placement or progression rewards, which would be pretty stifling for roster growth. (Missing progression CP, covers, and such, which would be close to impossible to hit consistently in an hour a day.)

For me, somewhere in the 1.5 to 2 hour a day range is the sweet spot where I'm not burning out from playing too much, but still can feel like I'm working my way forward and not just treading water.
    I'm just barely over 2h/day with more on the weekends and earn enough covers and ISO to champ a 4* every week and get them close to 370 before they are vaulted.

I guess a big part of the problem is that how much you are going to be able to get done in that same two hour period is obviously drastically different depending on your current roster.

Still, my wife plays in that 0-1h option as a 4* transitioner and I think is earning enough covers to cover characters before they are vaulted.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    More than 4 hours per day
    Probably over 4 hours a day. 

I multitask while playing...by that I mean I get distracted by videos, LINE and often playing multiple games at the same time (either Hearthstone, Magic Duels or most often The Elder Scrolls Legends). 

I'm a hybrid player who goes for green clears and 1200 pvp so my daily play would be pretty high regardless.  However if I were more focused on MPQ the time would likely be cut in half.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    1-2 hours per day
    I would prefer that baseline progress takes about 1-2 hours a day and gaining a competitive edge would be 2-3 hours.

But in the current reality of the game, the baseline gameplay is 2-3 hours and competitive play is 3-4 hours.  That's a part-time job!  Let's ease our burdens.  The time consumption of this game is the sole reason I've quit the game 3 times in the past. 
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    0-1 hours per day
    Honestly...no mobile game should require that you spend more than one hour per day on it.
  • NewMcG
    1-2 hours per day
    Warbringa said:
    Honestly...no mobile game should require that you spend more than one hour per day on it.
    That's what's great! No mobile game REQUIRES you spend a single minute on it!
  • NewMcG
    1-2 hours per day
    New McG said:

I'm just barely over 2h/day with more on the weekends and earn enough covers and ISO to champ a 4* every week and get them close to 370 before they are vaulted.

I guess a big part of the problem is that how much you are going to be able to get done in that same two hour period is obviously drastically different depending on your current roster.

Still, my wife plays in that 0-1h option as a 4* transitioner and I think is earning enough covers to cover characters before they are vaulted.
    I guess it's hard to be completely objective in my evaluation. With the new changes to the token pool, it isn't impossible to believe that characters are able to be covered within the 8-9 month window, if you can keep a steady flow of LT and CP coming in. Couldn't be sure how well that actually plays out in limited play while making the 3-4 transition.

With a now-developed roster, I may be overestimating the current difficulty of roster building, given how impossibly frustrating it was to crack into 4* land back in the day. There are definitely way more avenues into acquiring 4* covers these days.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    1-2 hours per day
    New McG said:
    Warbringa said:
    Well, for most of us that want to be competitive or do our best, it does REQUIRE several hours a day.  Here's the catch-22:  If you play just "casually" for 1 hour a day, then you're likely to see very little to no progress and want to quit.  If you play hardcore for 3-4 hours a day, then you'll see good progress, but you're likely to get burned out and want to quit the game too.  Playing for 2 hours a day is still very time consuming, with slow progress and doesn't sit well with someone who wants to do their best. 
  • NewMcG
    1-2 hours per day
    bbigler said:
    New McG said:
    Warbringa said:
    Well, for most of us that want to be competitive or do our best, it does REQUIRE several hours a day.  Here's the catch-22:  If you play just "casually" for 1 hour a day, then you're likely to see very little to no progress and want to quit.  If you play hardcore for 3-4 hours a day, then you'll see good progress, but you're likely to get burned out and want to quit the game too.  Playing for 2 hours a day is still very time consuming, with slow progress and doesn't sit well with someone who wants to do their best. 
    There are many things that REQUIRE a person's time. Eating. Work/school. Sleep. Any game you can play on your phone does not fall anywhere near that category. If all mobile game servers went down tomorrow and mobile games went away entirely, nobody's life is suddenly in peril.