Does vaulting cause meta lockout?

2»

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd said:
    it does seem as though there's a changing of the guard so to speak... 
    I'm worried about the longevity of the cycle from an interest point of view.  The current 12 are all B-listers, also-rans, or brand new.  All of the popular characters that people want to play as are in the vault, and are rapidly being outclassed.  How many characters coming into the catalogue will continue to capture interest?

Iron Man and Wolverine duking it out is interesting.  Mordo v. Agent Venom - eh.  May as well just be playing a game with roman numerals for characters.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin said:
    jredd said:
    it does seem as though there's a changing of the guard so to speak... 
    I'm worried about the longevity of the cycle from an interest point of view.  The current 12 are all B-listers, also-rans, or brand new.  All of the popular characters that people want to play as are in the vault, and are rapidly being outclassed.  How many characters coming into the catalogue will continue to capture interest?

Iron Man and Wolverine duking it out is interesting.  Mordo v. Agent Venom - eh.  May as well just be playing a game with roman numerals for characters.
    That's what variants are for. :neutral:
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Magic said:

@optimus2861 - 2 weeks is reasonable if you play PvE to max progression (now you get more ISO out of it as you need to grind a bit more), PvP to 575+, DDQ everyday (and you have all the toons to get max rewards everyday). Throw in some Lightning rounds or simulator and you are good. It was easier done when the intercepts were around so this might now take 14-15 days but I could max 4* in 10-12 with just the above + intercepts... not any more as I refuse to pay. This is not hardcore play (never green light all in PvE, I don't push high in PvP). It is for sure a hair above casual. 
    I don't put much less than this into the game, but I don't get anywhere close to this kind of rate.  More specifically, among the current 12, I have a total of 60 covers (and none over 10 covers).  I must assume you're unconsciously adding in champ rewards from previously champed 4*s, and it's making a gigantic difference.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    GoldenArm said:
    Rulk and Iceman are still better than almost all new 4*s
    Seriously? I'd take on Rulk+Iceman any day if the alternative is to take on Blade-Cardusa.

Anyway, speaking as a player who had only two champed 4* at the start of vaulting, I would say that this system has its ups and downs but it has helped me A LOT to have at least one champed 4* each week. Do you know how hard it is to have just two champed 4*? Increased scaling that not every week I can really cope with. With the new scheme, I can champ a lot of 4* and, except for a few unlucky picks by devs, I get to field at least one champed 4* each week. Been a boon to my UX and a great help to reach 800-900 in PVP. So, despite my minor misgivings of the vaulting, I still dig it and will speak on its defense any day of the week.