Do you hoard?

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Now that I have three championed 5*s (yay!), I'm thinking it might be time to start hoarding my CP and Latest Legends tokens. I'm not super excited about SL5, but I am hopeful that once he leaves the LL rotation, there will be three great 5*s. I'm sad, because I'd love to have championed Thanos, BP, Black Bolt and numerous others, but at the current rate, it will probably take too long if I open up one token at a time.

I'm curious as to whether you are hoarding, how much, and why. I tried to put all options possible.

I'm also super curious if people have a viable option for championing a Black Bolt or other Classic Legend. Sure, you can add him to your BH, but once you pull five of a specific color, then even BH can't prevent you from pulling useless cover dupes.

Also, at some point, I may need to hoard my ISO and stop championing latest 4*s (unless they are particularly good), as I realize that you need millions of ISO to avoid newly 13-cover 5*s from going to waste.

I'm counting each CP as 1 CP and each LL token as 25 CP, assuming you'd only open LLs when you finish your hoard, not a combination of LL and Classics.

Do you hoard? 95 votes

Yes, waiting for well over 5000 in combined cp and LL tokens.
16% 16 votes
Yes, waiting for 5000 in CP/LL.
3% 3 votes
Yes, waiting for 4000.
1% 1 vote
Yes, waiting for 3000.
2% 2 votes
Yes, waiting for 2000.
3% 3 votes
Yes, waiting for 1000.
4% 4 votes
No, I want to get a classic, such as Black Bolt, so I'm opening Classics as soon as I get 20+ CP.
10% 10 votes
No, for another reason.
23% 22 votes
Yes, for another amount, reason.
35% 34 votes

Comments

• Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    CP? Not yet, but I would if I had fully covered all of the relevant latest 4*.

Tacos? Yes, I started recently, I don't like it but I feel kinda forced to do it, since vaulting isn't going away.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Hoarding mitigates risk, gives you flexibility and allows you to be more efficient with your 5* covering...  Many good reasons to do it that are only rendered moot if you're getting resources at an absurdly fast pace.
  • kaelad
    kaelad Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I was hoarding CP until I was ready for the 4* transition, then vaulting happened. I'm waiting, maybe forever, to be able to spend CP on tokens with all 4*. After I spend a lot on that, then I'll be fine opening the regular LTs.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Currently @ 5752 ... waiting for Star Lord to disappeared into the Classic Void before making the quantum leap.  Fingers crossed for next 3 shiny carrots.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    I am, but only because nothing in the 4* pool is of any real help to me now. Before vaulting, I only kept 100 CP on hand in case I wanted a quick 13th cover.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    kaelad said:
    I was hoarding CP until I was ready for the 4* transition, then vaulting happened. I'm waiting, maybe forever, to be able to spend CP on tokens with all 4*. After I spend a lot on that, then I'll be fine opening the regular LTs.

Keep up the fight...  they broke me, I started cutting into my hoard when I saw 4*s that were about to slip away without having 13 covers...  thus destroying all hope for meaningful 5* progress.  I'm sure that hoarding in the long term will always win out, they'll get around to fixing this eventually.  Stay strong ;)
  • TiberiusKhan
    TiberiusKhan Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    The need for short term gains in covers, ISO, HP, and CP right now have me opening everything as I go. Once I have a few champed 4*s I'll probably start hoarding but for now if I stopped opening as soon as I can it would completely halt my progress.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, waiting on ISO/get caught up with those 4*s currently at 13.  Ideally I would like to do a hoard of all CP and LT (considering even HT since I keep lucking out and getting 4*s there) until I have like 7-12 million iso somewhere, or the latest 12 gets to a point where most of them are undercovered again.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

I hoard LTs/CPs when ever I stand a chance of getting covers that I cannot reasonably apply due to Iso-flow.  I want Hawkeye, and in the past I have found that if I devote all the CP toward Latest Legends I can comfortably draw 5-7 covers for each 5* every six weeks (which is the period it takes to introduce a new 5*.) This means right now I am not drawing Classics.  In the past, I have drawn classics when I have covered, but not champed a 5*, but since I am now champing every 5* I can cover I will probably keep drawing and only switch to Classics when I don't care to cover and/or champ a character (I'm looking at you, Peter Quill.)  Still, it takes a lot of Iso to champ a 4* (about 9 days worth,) and even more for a 5* (an even two week's worth.)  Sure, I can burn things to champ a character before a cover expires, but in general I'd rather not - so I don't draw if that may happen.

For example, I have BP fully covered now.  I'm not going to be able to play much this weekend, so that takes a lot of the Iso for 3 days out of the equation - so I'm not going to draw until after the weekend or I've built up enough Iso that if I draw one more BP cover I can comfortably champ him before it expires.

Similarly, I don't really mind burning 4* covers because I haven't finished a character, but burning them because of bad planning seems like a huge waste, so I've hoarded in the past if drawing one more cover for a 4* would be difficult to apply due to other demands on my Iso.  Same deal.

I have one more good reason to hoard, though it's only a factor in my decision and generally not the driving reason - opening many tokens at once helps mitigate the risk of burning covers due to an uneven build.  Another example, my Cloak and Dagger are 2/2/5 right now.  The more tokens I draw at once the better chance I have of completing them even if I draw a purple or two.

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I voted : Yes, for another amount, reason.

And its sooooo many reasons, really. The biggest drivers of that decision 
    1) Lack of ISO to champ the two 4* I have at 13 covers
    2) Don't want to pull a 14th RiRi and have the game decide for me that she's the one that first gets all the ISO, and also put a 14 day time frame on it.
    3) Don't want to potentially pull a 13th Medusa, then a 14th RiRi, and then get a 14th Medusa somehow in the time I'm trying to level up RiRi. (That's my next closest "latest 12" with 12 covers) and not have enough ISO/time to get each leveled up.
    4) I only pull from Classic Legends with CP, and I've never gotten a 5* that I can remember from pulling less than 200 CP at once. (rain down the comments, I stand by it)

I am also currently hoarding standards, Elites, and Heroics for the season to try something new. I open all event Tokens and DP tacos.

So in the end, its really ISO stopping me from a game perspective, and my own personal choice so that I get a few 5* in there with the latest 12, as well. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've got a bunch of the characters in Classics at 11 covers, and notably Black Suit Spidey in a dreaded 5/2/5 build. 

For that reason I'm pulling Classics but not dipping below 720, so that I can buy out a cover if needed to avoid wasting one.

I also don't pull until I've got around 300k ISO, so that I can either level up the 5* in question or champ a good 4* if I pull a bunch of covers for one.

Although right now I'm just 100% hoarding because I got OML and Thanos fully covered so I'm saving up the giant wad of ISO to champ both at once.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    It's more about ISO shortage than anything else for me.
    It's too risky to pull a cover of a 4 star I don't have champed yet, or a 6th cover for a character that isn't cover maxed.
    As it is, I have THREE 4 stars at are cover maxed, and currently have a cover in my queue.
    Mordo - 3
    Hobo Fist - 2
    Agent Coulson - 1
    3 Star Hawkeye - 2 (lowest priority for sure, but still covers going to waste)
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    This topic is actually pretty old and has been analyzed in many different facebook / line groups.  You need around 8000k CPe (command point equivalents) to have a reasonable chance at champing 3 LL 5* from scratch.  Using a 6 week (18 week total) rotation means you'll need to avg 60Cpe.  

This really means if you can consistently exceed 60CPe a day, you don't need to hoard!

Grimskald's post is by no means unique, many vets can confidently champion every 5* that comes down the pipe based on the current PVP/PVE/DDQ prizes and their existing 2*/3*/4* farms without using Buy clubs.

Remember, the premise behind hoarding originated because people couldn't realistically amass the resources necessary to champion a 5* before dilution makes that impossible.  That is no longer true.  The line community knows the tipping point for when their roster becomes 5* self sufficient.

Do a 2 week hoard and see what your avg CPe rate.  If its over 50Cpe open LL as they come, and stop when you can't afford iso to champion what results.

If your daily CPe is under 40, then hoard all CP / LL until your in that 8k window and build out the rest of your roster until your 2*/3*/4* farms can reach that 50CPe threshold.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
     You need around 8000k CPe

8 million CP? Dang, I don't think even this game has odds that bad.

(Before someone chimes in with "THAT'S NOT WHAT HE MAENT U SKRUB," yes, this is a joke)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hoarded at the beginning of the year and used it to champ Thanos, BP and Hawkeye.  SL5 doesn't excite me right now, so I'm going back to Classics.  I have Black-Suit Spidey and IM46 at 12 covers and Phoenix at 11 covers, so I'm going to try to max some of them instead.  If the next 5* looks good, I'll go back to Latests.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    I last opened my hoard when LL had Strange, Thanos, Black Panther. Now I'm hoarding LL until BP leaves LL. I'll probably spend CP on classics once R&G come into the pool, though.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never hoarded, never will.
    The faster I champ each new 5 the faster I can go back to drawing classics for champ levels.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hoarded for a while thinking it was necessary to cover 5*, but after the vaulting/bonus hero change, I spent most of my hoard on classic tokens and was pretty lucky to finish my SS and BSS and grab a few champ covers for PHX, SS, and OML in the process. I kinda regret doing it though cause I think if I had spent on latest tokens I may have had a chance at finishing Thanos before he rotated out. As it is, I went ahead and opened the latest tokens I had been saving and have since only opened latest tokens and got up to 8 Thanos covers before he rotated out. I've also got 10 BP and 11 HE so I'm in decent shape to finish those before they rotate as well. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Phumade said:
    This topic is actually pretty old and has been analyzed in many different facebook / line groups.  You need around 8000k CPe (command point equivalents) to have a reasonable chance at champing 3 LL 5* from scratch.  Using a 6 week (18 week total) rotation means you'll need to avg 60Cpe.  

This really means if you can consistently exceed 60CPe a day, you don't need to hoard!

Grimskald's post is by no means unique, many vets can confidently champion every 5* that comes down the pipe based on the current PVP/PVE/DDQ prizes and their existing 2*/3*/4* farms without using Buy clubs.

Remember, the premise behind hoarding originated because people couldn't realistically amass the resources necessary to champion a 5* before dilution makes that impossible.  That is no longer true.  The line community knows the tipping point for when their roster becomes 5* self sufficient.

Do a 2 week hoard and see what your avg CPe rate.  If its over 50Cpe open LL as they come, and stop when you can't afford iso to champion what results.

If your daily CPe is under 40, then hoard all CP / LL until your in that 8k window and build out the rest of your roster until your 2*/3*/4* farms can reach that 50CPe threshold.

First, your math is off:

60CPe x 7 days x 18 weeks = 7560 CPe, not 8000

Second, opening 15 LL per week should be sufficient to continually cover the latest 5*s:

15 Pulls x 18 weeks = 270 pulls = 6750 CPe = 53.5 CPe per day

I do agree that people should know their production rates, so that they can determine if they should hoard or constantly open.  I think for most people though, they have to hoard.  My current CPe per day is around 35, which I think is pretty good given that I have only 13 x 4* Champs and zero 5* champs. 

It seems like you need champed 5*s in order to get 50 CPe per day, which is a catch-22.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:

It seems like you need champed 5*s in order to get 50 CPe per day, which is a catch-22.

Yes, but that leads us back to hoarding - if you save up a few week's worth you can make up for that deficit and tactically go for a 5* set you want.  The more you hoard, the better your chances.  This one isn't bad, for example, since it has Thanos and BP who work well together.  SL5 is pretty lame at the moment, but they may buff him.

One of the unfortunate facts of the game is that since some 5*s are distinctly better than others, you really need to be careful of how you enter the 5* tier.  Imagine having Banner as your only 5*?  That may be ok in PVE, but in PVP you'll be eaten alive... :(