People quitting

Options
Phillmoore
Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
i am losing good people following last upgrade.  Team quitting game.  Frustrated over paying for cards they can no longer use.  Events with bad rewards. Unwinable  events for most as card sets wrong. 
Frustration is very high and even long term players are throwing in the towel. 
Id hate to be a noob coming into game as it would seem an impossible chanllange and if that she the game why bother. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options
    Long time player, platinum ex-whale.
    I stopped playing at Christmas and came back this month to see if things improved.
    Some things have improved, most things got worse.

Uninstalling now. Maybe I'll be back in another few months.

Google: "sunk cost fallacy" and rethink your addictions. This game cultivates and exploits it ruthlessly.
  • Pcell777
    Pcell777 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    Relatively new player here. Still enjoying the game after the update without spending cash. Have no problem beating events, except for 3.3 both Tezz and Zeal.

Maybe i am still enjoyin it because I have not experinced inflation or reduced rewards.
  • Dsagent
    Dsagent Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    I have been playing this year spent less than $10 and have been having a good time.
    Got lucky and pulled a bunch of cards I needed though.
    I wish they sold individuals like paper MTG.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Drycha said:
    I stopped playing at Christmas and came back this month to see if things improved.

Google: "sunk cost fallacy" and rethink your addictions. This game cultivates and exploits it ruthlessly.
    Thank you for the reference. learned something
  • Twee
    Twee Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    Just got done with the new event, couldn't believe I beat Tezz.  Also very excited for the two packs you get.  Except, all I got we're dupes.  I don't have half of the commons and uncommon and only 3 rares..  This game isn't really worth the effort anymore.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:
    Drycha said:

Thank you for the reference. learned something

If you liked that, consider reading up about the sunk cost paradox too, which is a close cousin. 

While the sunk cost fallacy is a counter intuitive bad decision that feels like a good one(throwing good money after bad) and negative EV, the real killer is the sunk cost paradox, where mathematically it's actually positive EV to throw in more good money after bad. That's the real dangerous one. 
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • KingEliuk
    KingEliuk Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Been playing ever since the game came out and invested so much time and gold crystals buying all these other card packs that what now are completely USELESS in most events..... such a waste of time and now trying to get new cards that are good seem so much more difficult when you dont have big boxes anymore ext.  Beyond frustrated with this game
  • OhanaUnited
    OhanaUnited Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm also done after they forced standard decks on all events, not just the new events
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    i mean, shouldn't we give them a chance with the upcoming dupe system?  there will be new powerful fun cards with future sets.  it sounds like a lot of the recent complaints are probably stemming from the matches being more difficult due to reduced collections.  once we're able to turn in cards for better value (maybe even pick the card we want!) and your collection grows again, it won't seem so bad.

standard really is the right choice, all around.  new players won't be able to keep up with legacy, and the meta will become entrenched in the same decks, which will be (was) very boring.  all ccg's do it.  

that being said, i'll never purchase a card for cash.  :)
  • Phillmoore
    Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Yvendros.  I love your optimism. But i understand the frustration of many.  This game can be great. But looking at all my decks with little exclamation marks on them and knowing if I want to continue i have to redesign them all and no LOnger have the key cards or even those with synergy with the planeswalkers I have is so demotivating.  Also having to constantly swap them around and take cards out which are good for standard or put them back for other matches is equally irritating.  At least give us the slots to save complimentary decks.  And i mean give. Not sell at stupid prices that no one can afford.  22 pw at 45000 an extra slot. I'm sorry I don't have the requisite 990000 mana for that and without quick battle little chance to grind it either. 
  • Eglyntine
    Eglyntine Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    Mmmmm..... QB. It was the only thing that kept me going the last few months.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yvendros said:
    i mean, shouldn't we give them a chance with the upcoming dupe system?  there will be new powerful fun cards with future sets.  it sounds like a lot of the recent complaints are probably stemming from the matches being more difficult due to reduced collections.  once we're able to turn in cards for better value (maybe even pick the card we want!) and your collection grows again, it won't seem so bad.

standard really is the right choice, all around.  new players won't be able to keep up with legacy, and the meta will become entrenched in the same decks, which will be (was) very boring.  all ccg's do it.  

that being said, i'll never purchase a card for cash.  :)
    I honestly thought maybe you were being sarcastic with that first paragraph. :lol:

That being said, it's like everyone gets to go back and chase Origin cards, again (maybe those don't have the horrible dupe results like the current AKH packs do? Yeah, well I can dream..).

Honestly, though, I can only handle the dupe stuff for so long and the "dupe system" will REALLY have to live up to a LOT of expectations or that might be it for me, as much as I loved this game and the idea of it, last year, when I started playing it.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This morning we have "clean" our coalition expeling inactive people, 9 of 20 and one that left las week.

Half of the coalition were inactive.

They have not been playing for more than a month and a half.
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yep all changes D3 are making are making a lot of players leave.

We can see that trough the various recruiting threads is top 10 coalition on FB. If the most active players are leaving like that I can imagine what is happening to the less active ones. And things don't feel very good for this game.

I am not upset by standard, what makes me feel like quiting are the new rewards for more grind that they implemented in the last update.

First they lowered the rewards, but now they raised the number of matches to achieve the same reward.

They must start to care about their player base cause it is a lot more difficult to build one than it is to keep. And they are trying really hard to lose what they build.

• speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I enjoy the game more than I did in the previous months but I'm one of the few in my coalition who feels that way. Another one of our top players left today, so that we will be even less competitive than before. And it always comes down to 'This isn't fun anymore.'
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Posts like these are just so much noise to the developers; several high-profile and very vocal players have "quit" and come back in the recent past.

People who care enough to post about it on the forums usually keep playing... in some form or another. 

What I'm more worried about are the people that just sort of drift away... they log in less and less, don't participate in events, and eventually uninstall. The don't bother to post on the forums about it... they just stop caring. 

I think it it would be really interesting if we could again see the number of players who join each event!
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think it it would be really interesting if we could again see the number of players who join each event!

But, but..they don't want us to know how low participation has gotten.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Actually there is an easy (not perfect though)  method to estimate number of players. Just after round in event note who is first and post screenshot and tier. As each brackethold 1k players it's simple math

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options

People who care enough to post about it on the forums usually keep playing... in some form or another. 

I must admit I'm guilty of the same. The game is addictive and it's hard to go cold turkey, especially after dumping so much time and money into it. Every day I don't login to collect the daily reward feels like a waste, especially when you usually have to work so hard to get the smallest reward.

Funny thing is though, we all know it'd only be pointless duplicate cards or a tiny amount of redundant currency.

Ultimately it's just not been fun for me for a long time. It's a soul destroying grind against the crippling pay-to-win system full of daily disappointments which I just can't sustain anymore.